Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Vintage Drink

RadioWave

One of the Regulars
A fellow was recently cleaning out his deceased grandfather's home when he stumbled upon a copy of this 1930s bartender's guide:

zAz2G.jpg

All the recipes are currently in the process of being uploaded to http://thevintagedrink.com/

Enjoy.

Last edited:

MikePotts

Practically Family
Trader Vic's

"Here's my 1948 Trader Vic's"

P1000861.jpg

1948 --So old it doesn't have a Margarita recipe!

P1000862.jpg

But it does have the all imortant endorsment from Rudy Vallee!

The Side Car Cocktail recipe contained within reads:

1/2oz. Brandy, 1/2oz Cointreau, 1/2oz Lemon Juice
shake with cracked ice and strain into a chilled, frosted cocktail glass.

Enjoy!

MP

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
This site sells recently republished versions of several old cocktail books, some going back to the 1800s.

barflies.jpg

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi

I bought a copy of "The Old Waldorf Astoria Bar Book 1935 Reprint" bar guide. It was written just after prohibition ended.

Unless you REALLY REALLY (add a few more) REALLY like Vermouth, you won't like Vintage cocktails. By the way, if this is the first post of mine on booze that you're come across, I intensely dislike Vermouth. I dislike both Italian and French Vermouth equally. Anyway, most of the drinks in the guide use one or more types of booze, and one or both types of Vermouth. I still want to try a Sazarec cocktail, but I'm no longer optimistic about my liking it. I didn't like the Manhattan at all, even though it's made with two of my favorite things, Rye and Angostura bitters.

Later Y'all

Last edited:

RadioWave

One of the Regulars
From the art work, that book definitely dates from about 1955 or slightly later. Stiil well worth looking at.

You know, that was my first impression as well. I assumed he was perhaps quoting the book's initial publication... This is definitely a book for gin-lovers.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails