Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Vintage Tailoring Thread

Barmey

One of the Regulars
The draft I used I think is from the mid 30s, though the guy i work with might have changed some of the period features i.e taking away the displaced shoulder seam. The shoulders are still pretty narrow, the waist fairly high, and the jacket rather long, so i hope it looks some what vintage. There is no side body which is rather unsual in alot of modern West End cutting. I'm currently collecting as many vintage drafting systems as I can get my hands on. The next one is going to be a 100% reproduction :)

I'm thinking about single button fastening or maybe a very close two. The trousers are a pretty slim cut (probably rather more exagexaggerated than a genuine 20s pair, but closer to the illustrated ideal) I'm also making a DB waistcoat. I'm not sure whether its going to look like a mongrel of traditional West End meets Jazz Age America. We'll see.

Last edited:

Barmey

One of the Regulars
What draft was it? MTOC perhaps?

Yeah I think it was 1933 edition. I've got a reprint of the 1928 one aswell. Pretty intresting stuff. Currently got my eye on an early twenties copy of the Cutters Practical Guide, I think they were still using WDF Vincents system at that point.

Qirrel

Practically Family
I think Vincent's direct/shoulder measure system must have been used into the 50s or 40s at least, since it was still published by T&C in the 30s. It would be interesting to see a early 20s version of Vincent's CPG.

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
the 'circular pad' as seen in Marc's 30s plus four suit (above), in a modern Italian jacket (below):

IMG_4777_zpsdd2d5499.jpeg

Caliendelo_zps17de05a9.png

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Nice. While it is not a fabric or color I wear often it certainly can impress with the norfolk details. Will you go for a similar yoke in the back?
Will you wear it with the trousers of the same fabric?

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Not a suit, but I do have a capeskin leather lined mackinaw from the mid 1920s. It has leather lined sleeves as well as the body.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
I did, but because it's not a modern repro A-2, no one paid it any attention. Are there any detail type pics that would be helpful for you?

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
I'm afraid they're not up to my usual standard- don't have anything set up and I'm losing the natural daylight, but I hope these help. I've turned it inside out to illustrate the seams better.

Shoulder

Underarm

Detail of how leather meets fabric

Cuff. It's a coat, so it has storm cuffs.

One piece back

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
The coat's definitely a beast, but the photos are a bit deceptive- it's a pretty thin capeskin. Great as a lining, maybe not so durable if it was on the outside. The windproofing of its day.

Can't wait to see your suit!

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
I did, but because it's not a modern repro A-2, no one paid it any attention.

The curse of the 'Outerwear' threads: So much modern leather that everything else goes unnoticed. Maybe there should be two separate areas: 'Outerwear' and 'Modern Leather Outerwear'?
I find that, just as I miss all the interesting stuff in the outerwear thread, I hardly ever bother checking in classifieds because it is so full of hats for sale that it's difficult to keep up with anything else that might be interesting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic