Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The White Sun of the Desert

Jack Scorpion

One Too Many
I would just like to take a break and mention one of my favorite movies of all time, The White Sun of the Desert.

It is a Russian movie, Beloe Solntse Pustyni, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_White_Sun_of_the_Desert. It was immediately shelved upon release because it lacks communist ideology.

I guess Kosygin (or somebody high up) was a huge filmbuff because he would get bored and watch movies that had been shelved, just for fun. When he saw this movie, he immediately arranged for it to be released. Now it is Russia's favorite movie, according to polls.

My Russian film teacher told me that Americans don't like this film, but I loved it immediately. However, none of my friends whom I've shown it to have appreciated it. They say it is slow, but I disagree. It just has a very different narrative technique than Hollywood.

It is about a Red Army soldier who gets out of the hospital in Central Asia "The East," and starts heading home. But he gets sidetracked by his fair share of adventures. He protects a Harem, gets help from a native and a White Army customs official (who is the best character) and fights the bad guy.

I own the DVD in Russia's region and in America's (the latter was pricey!). The chances of you running into a copy are pretty slim, but if you do, my advice to you is give it a watch.

400057-Beloe_solnce.jpg

Flitcraft

One Too Many
Wow!

That actually sounds pretty intereseting!
Gotta admit, I'm so bored by the current crop of Hollywood crap, that anything original picques my interest.
Its gotten so if you tell me the title of the movie and who the star is, I can pretty much give you a plot summary without any other info.
Boring!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo