Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

can anyone provide pics of the schott b3 257s in brown/gold?

jojothenorthstar

One of the Regulars
I'm sorry but $1500 CAD is a lot of money!

Instead of this gambling game, why not just get an Aero B-6 to suit your height, for considerably less money. The Schott B-3 (which is a great civi sheepskin) is basically a B-6 anyway.
i hate the color and stlye

i really want that schott color

jojothenorthstar

One of the Regulars
Yes, that is seal brown.
what b6 are you referring to exactly because this guy has a seal brown eastman

it's practically black

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I was calling the Schott in that pic seal brown.

The reason the sheepskin you're seeing is rough is because the way these wartime style sheepskins were prepared was actively *painting* the non-fleece side. That is where the darker color comes from and why it fades.

jojothenorthstar

One of the Regulars
I was calling the Schott in that pic seal brown.

The reason the sheepskin you're seeing is rough is because the way these wartime style sheepskins were prepared was actively *painting* the non-fleece side. That is where the darker color comes from and why it fades.
okay assuming i'm brain dead stupid, what does this mean exactly? is it normal to feel rough? can he treat it?

Aloysius

okay assuming i'm brain dead stupid, what does this mean exactly? is it normal to feel rough? can he treat it?

I may be wrong but I don't think it's something done by the jacket maker. After sheepskin is tanned, the flesh side (non fur side) can be painted and lacquered to be stronger and a bit more weather resistant. This is why sheepskin pilot jackets usually have a shiny red or brown color. It's paint.

jojothenorthstar

One of the Regulars
I may be wrong but I don't think it's something done by the jacket maker. After sheepskin is tanned, the flesh side (non fur side) can be painted and lacquered to be stronger and a bit more weather resistant. This is why sheepskin pilot jackets usually have a shiny red or brown color. It's paint.
Okay that's what I don't get. I thought the skin was literally undyed and just a clean animal

Aloysius

These kinds of jackets are a reversed sheepskin with the fur inside and the soft inner layer on the outside. In order to extend the life of the garment for more than a year or so, that inner portion (which is on the outside) gets painted and lacquered.

jojothenorthstar

One of the Regulars
These kinds of jackets are a reversed sheepskin with the fur inside and the soft inner layer on the outside. In order to extend the life of the garment for more than a year or so, that inner portion (which is on the outside) gets painted and lacquered.
so is it normal to be rough and hard? would a new schott be soft or tough? because i am very confused, his other sheepskin jackets were like butter

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner