Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The word, "Posh".

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Something I thought interesting-

The origin of the word, "posh".

Here is a possibility:

A Nautical term, from the glory days of the British Empire and travel.

"Naval. This word, meaning "superior", is said to come from the P. & O. Steam Navigation Company's abbreviation for the phrase "Port Outward, Starboard Homeward", where the cabins were the cooler in the Red Sea and so the more attractive to passengers. "

Hmmm...

B
T

Edward

Bartender
The last I heard, that ghastly Beckham woman considered that she owned it, but I'm sure I read that a court had slapped her down on that one....

Boodles

A-List Customer
Old folks in the states claimed that POSH was

Old folks in the states, people I knew 30 years ago and who used to travel on steamers, told me that POSH was indeed Port Out and Starboard Home but that it referred to the heyday of Brits traveling to the states in the cold waters of the North Sea. Different from the Red Sea theory, these people actually wanted the sunny side of the ship and so were berthed on the port side heading to America and on the starboard side on the return trip. Given the east-west route this theory is more plausible to me than the Red Sea thing, but who really knows.

Boodles

A-List Customer
Surely it was SOPH

BellyTank said:
Not SOPH, then.

B
T

Surely it was SOPH for those folks traveling from say NYC to the homelands. I guess SOPH just didn't sound like anything if spoken. POSH, whatever it actually stood for, trips over the Red Sea or the North Atlantic, the term really caught on. As an aside, the gentleman who long ago told me about the meaning of POSH also told me his version of the definition of the term dusey (not doozy as we often see). Duesy was a term used for something really fine or special and was derived from the automobile Duesenberg.

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
I've heard the port outbound, starboard home version referencing trans Atlantic crossings most often. Indeed, in addition to the southern exposure each way that would bring, I also saw one reference to a preference to face France on the way out of and in to the English channel, the author explaining that the coastline was more attractive to look at.

Considering that even on the clearest of days the coastline from the middle of the Channel is nothing more than a blurred line, I thought that was silly, but there you go, someone believed it!

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
It's nice that people believe these myths.

I recently flew from Stockholm to London, on a very clear day and as we
passed the coast of Jylland/Denmark and approached the Norfolk coast of England, I could clearly see the north coast of Europe-
Germany, Holland, Belgium and a bit of France.
Not so surprising really but very interesting.

B
T

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy