Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The wrist watch.

Just for fun. Some impressions of evening mood with the allround diver-type Festina F16170/4. It's just so easy to read in every situation and I'm still proud, that I choose this modell, back in 2010. Kind of a young classic.

But in case, that the F16170 will ever be a popular quarz-collectors item, this will take some years from now. But, who knows?? It's not a full-featured diver (just 100 meter/10 ATM denseness), but despite just a real solid rock from stainless-steel (154 grams) with the basic quality feature of a screw-in bottom!

The ocean blue dial appears black in the shadows.

33806929wu.jpg

33806930jj.jpg

33806931uo.jpg

33806932rn.jpg

33806934pj.jpg

It's just a fuzz at the front.

I'm tense, what the future will bring. If it would be worth 500 Euro some day, I would sell it. ;)

viclip

Practically Family
A Tank, Is A Tank, Is A Tank!
View attachment 135244
View attachment 135246

Valentino wearing Cartier Tank in Son of the Sheik (1926)

I'd sure like to have a Cartier Tank!

The Cartier Tank became available to the public at the end of World War I & as far as I'm aware has been in continuous production ever since, albeit in various flavors.

That shot of Rudolph Valentino is interesting. To a large extent, he was responsible for the wrist watch overtaking the pocket watch in popularity. Although men engaged in the war effort found the wrist watch more practical to wear than the pocket watch, Valentino's donning of the wrist watch made it stylish & fashionable for men to routinely wear them. Prior to that, wrist watches were considered effeminate saving & excepting, of course, when one was engaged in the sort of combat operations that the Industrial Revolution ushered in by the 1880s.

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
I'd sure like to have a Cartier Tank!

The Cartier Tank became available to the public at the end of World War I & as far as I'm aware has been in continuous production ever since, albeit in various flavors.

That shot of Rudolph Valentino is interesting. To a large extent, he was responsible for the wrist watch overtaking the pocket watch in popularity. Although men engaged in the war effort found the wrist watch more practical to wear than the pocket watch, Valentino's donning of the wrist watch made it stylish & fashionable for men to routinely wear them. Prior to that, wrist watches were considered effeminate saving & excepting, of course, when one was engaged in the sort of combat operations that the Industrial Revolution ushered in by the 1880s.

Yep!
Rudy dressed mostly to please himself picking out fine things regardless if they were in style or not.
Not sure about his pick regarding women though! :(

Last edited:
Good end of the day, my loungers, good end of the day!

I was underways and when "my" Karstadt is near, I do of course a "short visit". ;) And at last, I grabbed these two nice storebrand-tickers in my favorite dial-colours oceanblue and black with Miyota 2105 (with shock-protection) movement. Really nice easy-readers, but the deciding for buying these two ones was the important quality feature, I mentioned above: screw-in bottom!! And therefor clean, solid build quality with 10 ATM denseness. And the easy readability, too. And the cases are still in my tolerable size (max. 40mm diameter) and not too "fat". Seemingly diameter 39/40 millimeter.

So, I think, the real weak point in this case are just the straps. But on the other side, they are indeed the thinner and convenient ones and I tested the oceanblue watch on my way home and all was fine from the first second on, woohoo! The straps doesn't have to be worn in. And these are my first wristwatches with leather straps, I tell you!

The blue, flashlight:
33816714lk.jpg

33816715wb.jpg

The black:
33816716kc.jpg

33816717od.jpg

The blue again, lamplight :
33816718qu.jpg

33816719dd.jpg

33816720ye.jpg

33816721wh.jpg

Screw-in bottom:
33816722qx.jpg

Last edited:
Daylight, my loungers. Now, you see, how the oceanblue appears in real. On real vision, 55 mm focal length. :)

33818079lp.jpg

33818081bu.jpg

But today morning, I thought, it's worth to try to get on the last strap-hole and it totally works! Perfect fit, absolutety convenient. This leather is relatively soft and cozy.

And now, you know, how small my arms are. Closure on the last of eight holes. ;)

But, it's just a nice sporty-elegant "no bullshit" kind of watch.

Just another shoot of my black one storebrand goodie in three ankles. Now, you see, how they really appear:

33883359qf.jpg

33883360at.jpg

33883361to.jpg

But don't believe the impression of the size. They look bigger than they really are. They are just 40 mm diameter-cases.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Anyone knows, which "authentic gold-plated Seiko watch" Gus meant in "Basic Instinct", as duty-gift, when policemen retire?

That was meant as a joke in the film - Seiko was seen then as a piece of crap and therefore the gift of a gold plated Seiko meant that the gift was a cheap and pointless ritual. The use of the word "authentic" referring to it being a "genuine" piece of crap. Obviously this was a playful way of saying that the life of a cop is not greatly valued.

That was meant as a joke in the film - Seiko was seen then as a piece of crap and therefore the gift of a gold plated Seiko meant that the gift was a cheap and pointless ritual. The use of the word "authentic" referring to it being a "genuine" piece of crap. Obviously this was a playful way of saying that the life of a cop is not greatly valued.

Ah, now I got it! Very interesting, thanks.

Gus's cynism, sure thing! Why I didn't comprehended it earlier?? :D

But now, I will load my old DVD and watch "Basic Instinct" in original tone once again after a long time! :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo