Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The wrist watch.

Turnip

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Official Omega service is no bargain, for sure, but I would mine not get serviced anywhere else.
At this end of the pond there are regional service centers only.
Means no matter which official retailer you contact, they’ll all send your watch to that one center anyway and costs will be all the same. Local retailers do only minor service jobs such as changing/shortening bracelets…here.
8500 movement Omegas have four years, next generation movements five years warranty here.

My Pa´s Glashütte 70s Spezimatic.

Attachments

• IMGP8931.jpg
    IMGP8931.jpg
    140.7 KB · Views: 86

milandro

A-List Customer
I have a small collection of watches and , normally, I tend to prefer mechanical , automatic, watches, if even remotely possible (with the exception, until now of two Citizen Eco-Drive , incredibly good watches in their own genere).

I wanted to buy a racing watch model inspired to the TAG Heuer Monaco (out of the price that I conceivably may have been able to afford ...a new one would set you back €7,800 and even a good second hand , if you dare getting such valuable watch amongst the plethora of fakes around the world, would cost you the best part of €5000.

I had an alternative the Steinhart Le Mans GT but it seems to be too difficult to find .... so I decided to fill the void due to my GAS ( Gear acquisition syndrome ) with a n Invicta

1707226805420.png

It is not the real thing but close...

Attachments

• 1707227007254.png
    1707227007254.png
    34.1 KB · Views: 33

Edward

Bartender
I have a small collection of watches and , normally, I tend to prefer mechanical , automatic, watches, if even remotely possible (with the exception, until now of two Citizen Eco-Drive , incredibly good watches in their own genere).

I wanted to buy a racing watch model inspired to the TAG Heuer Monaco (out of the price that I conceivably may have been able to afford ...a new one would set you back €7,800 and even a good second hand , if you dare getting such valuable watch amongst the plethora of fakes around the world, would cost you the best part of €5000.

I had an alternative the Steinhart Le Mans GT but it seems to be too difficult to find .... so I decided to fill the void due to my GAS ( Gear acquisition syndrome ) with a n Invicta

View attachment 587871

It is not the real thing but close...

Not bad. My daily driver for about three years was an Invicta homage to the Submariner. Fairly decent watch. The movement gained five minutes across about a fortnight, but I fell into the habit of always correcting the time against University Time before the start of my Friday morning lecture, so that was fine... It's not in daily use now just because my wife bought me a very nice Vostok with a 24 hour hand, useful for when I travel (bezel rotates so you can read two timezones on it). Not getting rid of the Invicta, though - handy to have around in case.

I still aspire to a couple of other nice watches. Got my eye on a Hamilton Ventura (though one of the anachronistic, automatic movement ones). *Maybe* something with a square face. I did have an inkling towards picking up a few more watches, but tbh I'm so much a fan of my Vostok that after the wife bought me it, I don't much think of wearing anything else.

Not bad. My daily driver for about three years was an Invicta homage to the Submariner. Fairly decent watch. The movement gained five minutes across about a fortnight, but I fell into the habit of always correcting the time against University Time before the start of my Friday morning lecture, so that was fine... It's not in daily use now just because my wife bought me a very nice Vostok with a 24 hour hand, useful for when I travel (bezel rotates so you can read two timezones on it). Not getting rid of the Invicta, though - handy to have around in case.

I still aspire to a couple of other nice watches. Got my eye on a Hamilton Ventura (though one of the anachronistic, automatic movement ones). *Maybe* something with a square face. I did have an inkling towards picking up a few more watches, but tbh I'm so much a fan of my Vostok that after the wife bought me it, I don't much think of wearing anything else.
My Rolex does not and never has kept very good time. Perhaps in the months just after coming back from a complete refurb it keeps time well. But I mostly wear it as I own it and may as well wear it. But to know the exact time I (like most of the world now) look at my phone.

milandro

A-List Customer

I like the Ventura, and I have thought of it too.

I have a few Hamiltons ( X-Wind automatic chronograph, Jazzmaster Tonneau, Jazzmaster Day Date ) they are good watches at reasonable prices. I tend to have watches which go well with the occasion or the clothes that I wear , so I have a few different styles from formal to playful .

Should you want to have one without committing to the Hamilton (not too high) prices, on Aliexpress you can find Ventura inspired watches ( they are called Ventura if you search) with automatic movement . Hamilton has Ventura quartz and Ventura automatic movement ( the Original Elvis Presley one was electric).

My Rolex does not and never has kept very good time. Perhaps in the months just after coming back from a complete refurb it keeps time well. But I mostly wear it as I own it and may as well wear it. But to know the exact time I (like most of the world now) look at my phone.
Well it is not only Rolex...
Most mechanical watches would have some time correction to be taking place every other day.

it may not be your case bellfastboy, but many (if not most) don't wear the most recognisable watch brand in te world for its precision ;)

I like the Ventura, and I have thought of it too.

I have a few Hamiltons ( X-Wind automatic chronograph, Jazzmaster Tonneau, Jazzmaster Day Date ) they are good watches at reasonable prices. I tend to have watches which go well with the occasion or the clothes that I wear , so I have a few different styles from formal to playful .

Should you want to have one without committing to the Hamilton (not too high) prices, on Aliexpress you can find Ventura inspired watches ( they are called Ventura if you search) with automatic movement . Hamilton has Ventura quartz and Ventura automatic movement ( the Original Elvis Presley one was electric).

Well it is not only Rolex...
Most mechanical watches would have some time correction to be taking place every other day.

it may not be your case bellfastboy, but many (if not most) don't wear the most recognisable watch brand in te world for its precision ;)
Yes, I have learned that. If I wanted a watch the kept great time I would have kept my old Seiko. But the company I worked for gave me a Rolex for making them (and me) so much money. I likely would never have purchased it on my own but as a gift it is not bad......except for the $$$$ it costs me every decade or so for the rebuild.

milandro

A-List Customer
Yes, I have learned that. If I wanted a watch the kept great time I would have kept my old Seiko. But the company I worked for gave me a Rolex for making them (and me) so much money. I likely would never have purchased it on my own but as a gift it is not bad......except for the $$$$ it costs me every decade or so for the rebuild.
The periodic maintenance is a myth, actively cultivated by SOME watchmakers

a modern watch shouldn't need much service for at least 15 years AND if you alternate your watches (which , like for shoes, is a very good way to preserve them ) you can do even less than that

The periodic maintenance is a myth, actively cultivated by SOME watchmakers

a modern watch shouldn't need much service for at least 15 years AND if you alternate your watches (which , like for shoes, is a very good way to preserve them ) you can do even less than that

I have had to have my Rolex serviced every 10 - 12 years or so.....twice now with it being 11 years since so it is coming up soon. But I don't take it in based on time......I take it in when it stops working. Had it since 1988. Mine is a daily wearer....figure if I own it I may as well wear it.....at my age no point in saving it for something.

milandro

A-List Customer
I have had to have my Rolex serviced every 10 - 12 years or so.....twice now with it being 11 years since so it is coming up soon. But I don't take it in based on time......I take it in when it stops working. Had it since 1988. Mine is a daily wearer....figure if I own it I may as well wear it.....at my age no point in saving it for something.
certainly! If I were given one , I would certainly wear it .

If your watch stops working that is serious business and whatever goes wrong shouldn't actually repeat itself.
Are the issued cause by a part failing or by oil or dirt? Parts shouldn't be failing that quickly in a watch (especially if replaced) . If dirt is the issue the actual seal of the watch should be questioned. Modern oils are not an issue anymore, they are synthetic and don't congeal in time.

I like square watches, but I sold my Monaco as I felt it was too "large" for my wrist. My current "Square" is a Seiko 5 in homage to the Rado Manhattan.
That Seiko exists from the '70, we had one at home!

I wish I had a Monaco! The Invicta is just a simulacrum of that watch.

Actually, If I could I would love to have the Steinhart Le Mans GT Blue ( not so expensive as a Monaco but can't find it anywhere)

1707379400665.png

I don't mind the size of watches, I have a large wrist

certainly! If I were given one , I would certainly wear it .

If your watch stops working that is serious business and whatever goes wrong shouldn't actually repeat itself.
Are the issued cause by a part failing or by oil or dirt? Parts shouldn't be failing that quickly in a watch (especially if replaced) . If dirt is the issue the actual seal of the watch should be questioned. Modern oils are not an issue anymore, they are synthetic and don't congeal in time.

That Seiko exists from the '70, we had one at home!

I wish I had a Monaco! The Invicta is just a simulacrum of that watch.

Actually, If I could I would love to have the Steinhart Le Mans GT Blue ( not so expensive as a Monaco but can't find it anywhere)

View attachment 588409

I don't mind the size of watches, I have a large wrist
Both times the watch stopped due to a broken part. I have a watch maker (actual Swiss born guy) that charges about half of the Rolex factory pricing. He repaired it the last time which was about 12 years ago now. He even had to build one of the broken parts rather than wait for a factory delivery. So I got my monies worth.

milandro

A-List Customer
do I need any other watch? No I don't and yet sometimes you buy stuff you don't really need.

I bought one of these Lorsa watches, it is a rather unknown France brand ( L'Horlogerie Savoisienne) they closed shop some time ago and now their remaining watches are being sold by a German company .

I bought one at auction for a good price. Picture is borrowed from a shop selling the same watch. Click to enlarge is you so wish.

Attachments

• 1711626918945.png
    1711626918945.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 18

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner