Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

There really are still "Good People" out there!

Cousin Hepcat

Practically Family
There've been some threads that seem to indicate some folks have given up on modern society and people in general these days as being lousy and selfish. Can't say I haven't felt that way plenty of times.

But an experience this past weekend really did a lot to restore my faith that there still are Really Good People and you never know when you'll run into them:

I was taking Mom for the usual Saturday midday walk around a local botanical garden, and we saw what looked like a VERY large family of unusually fine dressed folks (one who turns out was close to 100!) who looked like they were really enjoying themselves.

As we walked along side them on the main pathway, as they were laughing and talking to each other, they started smiling at us and adding, "You know?" as if we were part of the family. Their warmth and honesty drew us right into their conversation, and before I even realized what was happening, I was laughing and talking with them feeling as if I'd known them all my life!

It's just the most unusual, most IMMEDIATELY open and Good-hearted group of people I've ever met in my life, I can't quite explain it. I know it sounds crazy, but I thought, this must be what it's like in heaven.

As the eldest was putting his hand on my shoulder, smiling, leaning over & rhasping in my ear to make sure I take good care of Mom :) , I almost wanted to ask these people, "Wait, what planet did you all come from, and how fast can I get there?!" (Turns out they're from Planet Michigan.)

Anyway, it started me wondering:

>> Anyone else have similar stories of totally unexpectedly meeting such Really Good People out of the blue? What types of places???

>> Do you & yours frequently strike up conversations like that with perfect strangers with such great results?

>> Is there a surplus or shortage of Really Good People in your town?

>> Is everyone in Michigan this cool?!

P.S. When I was talking to one of the sons who's my age, who also experienced I.T. "downsizing" to a slightly lower paying job doing the same thing, he passsed on to me a family saying: "Oatmeal's better than No meal". :D That's so cool, I'm gonna pass it on when I have kids. (I reciprocated by sharing with him the research for my "plan B" career change)

Interested in hearing your stories / thoughts.

Swing High,
- C H

Benny Holiday

My Mail is Forwarded Here
That's great, Cousin

I got a lesson in not judging people one night when I had car trouble on my way into the city. I managed to get the car into a 7-11 carpark, where a bunch of 'hoods' were hanging out. Generally, these are young guys of often ethnic descent who race around in hotted up four-cylinder cars like Subarus and Mazdas and who make a nuisance of themselves as much as possible.

I was on my way to a rockabilly gig and was dressed to the nines in full Gene Vincent-type threads, so I when a couple of the guys approached me I was thinking there was going to be trouble. It turned out they'd simply seen me with my car bonnet up and had drifted over to see if they could lend a hand. They were polite and helpful and just generally friendly. They gave the car a jump start that got me to the gig.

It's a great feeling to experience an unexpected encounter with simply genuinely nice people.

VintageJess

One of the Regulars
CH,

What a beautiful story! Thanks so much for sharing! Call me crazy, but do you ever feel that such experiences are almost other-worldly, as if you've had a real-life encounter with an angel or something?

I must say that since becoming a military spouse, I haven't had one second of doubt that there are truly amazingly decent, good people on this earth. I have witnessed (and experienced) so many incredible acts of kindness and generosity.

I was pregnant and living by myself on base at Camp Lejeune (not too far from you there in Raleigh!) during my husband's deployment. To be perfectly honest, I don't think I had to mow my lawn, change my oil, or perform any other type of home or vehicle maintenance the whole time he was gone. Stuff would just magically take care of itself, just as casseroles or pies would appear on my doorstep. At least once a week, one of Hubby's buddies or their wives would stop in and offer to help around the house or yard.

And I can't even begin to count how often someone noticed my yellow ribbon or Blue Star Service flag and refused my payment for a service or meal. (Not to mention the very nice PMs and notes of support I have received from fellow Loungers here! :eek: )

You know, one of the things that I've always admired about the WWII era is the fact that so many people came together to support one another through really tough times. I truly thought that was something that I would never experience. But I have. Yes, it is on a much smaller scale, and you probably won't ever hear about it on the news. But go to any military base or town and you will see that the families and communities there are still supporting each other, most often with little small acts of good works like I have described above.

Fondly,
Jessica

Rosie

One Too Many
Great stories

I can say I'm one of those good people who try to be friendly and strike up conversation, not always with the best results. Though I've ben told on more than a few occasions that I have lovely manners. :eek:

A few months ago, I went to stay the weekend with my cousin, she lives uptown. I had an overnight bag, and my little dog in his own little puppy bag. I was taking the train, got off at the station and proceeded to climb the stairs. My puppy bag began shifting a bit so I put down my overnighter (a no no in these parts) and fixed my dog's bag. I man came from behind me and picked up my bag, at first, I thought the unbelievable had happened :eek: but instead of yelling "stop, thief!" I kind of just stood there, dumbfounded. I ran up the stairs to bop him or kick him or something and he turned and asked me, "are you transferring trains or leaving the station"? (he asked because if I was transferring trains, I would have to go to another part of the station but, if I was leaving the station, I would have to go up another flight of stairs to get to the street level). I was shocked, then said, "wow, thanks, I'm leaving the station". And, he carried my bag until we reached the street level. I thanked him, he asked if I was okay, I responded "yes" and we both were on our way.

Also, since I've been home for the summer, I've had the great pleasure of meeting two older women who live in my neighborhood. I meet them almost every morning as we walk our dogs around the same time. They are so lovely and so smart. They've taken to giving me dating advice, (not that I've asked for it), job advice, baking, gardening and life advice. They've seen me dressed vintage-esque on occasion and love it, particularly my gloves.

Cousin Hepcat said:
There've been some threads that seem to indicate some folks have given up on modern society and people in general these days as being lousy and selfish. Can't say I haven't felt that way plenty of times.

But an experience this past weekend really did a lot to restore my faith that there still are Really Good People and you never know when you'll run into them:

I was taking Mom for the usual Saturday midday walk around a local botanical garden, and we saw what looked like a VERY large family of unusually fine dressed folks (one who turns out was close to 100!) who looked like they were really enjoying themselves.

As we walked along side them on the main pathway, as they were laughing and talking to each other, they started smiling at us and adding, "You know?" as if we were part of the family. Their warmth and honesty drew us right into their conversation, and before I even realized what was happening, I was laughing and talking with them feeling as if I'd known them all my life!

It's just the most unusual, most IMMEDIATELY open and Good-hearted group of people I've ever met in my life, I can't quite explain it. I know it sounds crazy, but I thought, this must be what it's like in heaven.

As the eldest was putting his hand on my shoulder, smiling, leaning over & rhasping in my ear to make sure I take good care of Mom :) , I almost wanted to ask these people, "Wait, what planet did you all come from, and how fast can I get there?!" (Turns out they're from Planet Michigan.)

Sounds like an episode from The Twilight Zone. Next stop Willoughby.
stopatwilloughby.jpg

Regards,

J

Etienne

A-List Customer
I can tell you I run into this all the time!! But I can also share something else: Even if we aren't looking for others to be impolite, or mean or uncaring, we'll find it. But, conversely, if we're looking for them to be kind, and polite and chivalrous and noble, we'll find that, too! It's sort of like when you're raising kids--it's pretty easy to catch them being little rascals, and doing things they shouldn't. It takes a little more concentration sometimes to "catch them" doing something good and wonderful. And those are the moments they should be praised for it!! It's amazing how hard they will work to get that same moment of praise again and again!

What a special moment you had with that family, Cousin Hepcat!! And what an example of love and contentment they are to the world!

Cousin Hepcat

Practically Family
VintageJess said:
Call me crazy, but do you ever feel that such experiences are almost other-worldly, as if you've had a real-life encounter with an angel or something?
Exactly!

Benny Holiday said:
I got a lesson in not judging people one night when I had car trouble on my way into the city. I managed to get the car into a 7-11 carpark, where a bunch of 'hoods' were hanging out... They were polite and helpful and just generally friendly. They gave the car a jump start that got me to the gig.
See there ya go. Great story

Rosie said:
I can say I'm one of those good people who try to be friendly and strike up conversation, not always with the best results. Though I've ben told on more than a few occasions that I have lovely manners.
:eusa_clap :eusa_clap See, I admire that, I probably should take a que and try bringing "the guard" down just a little more often...

James, I was thinking at the time "this Should be like Twilight Zone" but the moment was just was Too Cool for that to work.

Etienne, very good point.

More stories :)

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
Benny Holiday said:
I got a lesson in not judging people one night when I had car trouble on my way into the city. I managed to get the car into a 7-11 carpark, where a bunch of 'hoods' were hanging out. Generally, these are young guys of often ethnic descent who race around in hotted up four-cylinder cars like Subarus and Mazdas and who make a nuisance of themselves as much as possible.

I was on my way to a rockabilly gig and was dressed to the nines in full Gene Vincent-type threads, so I when a couple of the guys approached me I was thinking there was going to be trouble. It turned out they'd simply seen me with my car bonnet up and had drifted over to see if they could lend a hand. They were polite and helpful and just generally friendly. They gave the car a jump start that got me to the gig.

It's a great feeling to experience an unexpected encounter with simply genuinely nice people.

I had a similar experience with a man we recently hired in my office. At first sight, he looks like the type of person I'd avoid in a dark alley. I don't have a lot of contact with him in my day-to-day work, other than to occasionally pass in the hallway and say hello. He's younger than me and former Army. One day I was carrying a large box out to my car, and he was coming out of another door down the sidewalk. I thought he was going to trip over his own feet running over to me! He insisted on carrying the box out for me and would not take no for an answer. Several times I have witnessed this scenario repeat itself while the other men just stand around offering no help. I have yet to hear another person as well-spoken or with such good manners as this guy. Everyone is "ma'am" or "Mrs. Foster." He is probably one of the few people I know IRL that I can say is a true gentleman.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Books about Courage

Lately I've been reading books about courageous people. My current book is called Among the Heroes: Flight 93 and the Passengers & Crew Who Fought Back. The history and personality of nearly every passenger and crew member is woven into the story. They were a group of driven, assertive, competitive, athletic, highly motivated and mostly successful individuals. Not only did they save a target in Washington (probably the White House, the books states), but they saved our military from having to fire on their countrymen.

The passengers made many phone calls to their families. A few of them were in tears, but mostly they were scared but self-controlled. One flight attendant said she was boiling water to throw on the highjackers. A few passengers reached 911 dispatchers who offered moral support.

Would that everyone could be so noble whether there is a crisis or not!

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
Most people from the Northwest tend to be pretty considerate and sociable as well. Although I have noticed that since our population around here has been growing, there is a noticable difference starting to take place. For me, I find it rude when walking along and not saying hi or pass along a smile...people are doing this less and less these days.

Etienne

A-List Customer
Chiming in again. I think the kindness and helpfulness of so many of the FL members is a great example of the good folks who are out there in the world! I am personally grateful to those of you who PM me and offer help, advice, and ideas though we are "technically" strangers. Makes me realize that ALL people are our brothers and sisters! Thank you!

Michaelson

One Too Many
No offense intended here what so ever, so please don't read it as such....

It makes me sad when items like this are posted as 'unusual'.....NICE 'unusual, but regarded as a special experience. It used to be the norm. Many folks actually practice the 'Golden Rule', and that's all you're talking about here.:(

There are a few who actually remember to treat folks as they want to be treated. It's not always accepted, and usually greeted with suspicion....and even when everything is done to change that perception, after the fact they're considered 'odd' or 'special' for the way they behaved.

So, I'm pleased you experienced this, but it had absolutely nothing to do with the fact they were from Michigan, I assure you. You'll still find pockets of folks who still know how to make folks feel welcome in any given situation.

Regards! Michaelson

Daisy Buchanan

All these stories are so great, they put a big smile on my face.
I have experienced these types of situations as well. I live in Boston, we're not really known for our friendliness, people seem to always be in a rush or up-tight. It always amazes me when I'm on the subway system, and a young kid will give his seat up so a lady can sit down. But it does happen, and it reminds me that people are still good.
I have had two experiences recently, that remind me of the quality of people. The first one was just a few weekends ago, when Hem and I took the Ferry to Provincetown on the cape. We shared a table with two men, about our age. From the moment they sat down, the conversation began. They wrote us a list of all the restaurants that we should eat at, of all the stores that are good, of all the sites we should see, and the best spot to just sit and relax. I gave them information on vintage wear, for they had a big 20's party at the end of the summer, and weren't sure of where to shop for it. We exchanged e-mail addresses by the end of the trip, and actually hugged goodbye. We have been in contact a few times via e-mail. It was such a nice trip, made nicer by the two men we sat with. They are just such nice guys, I can see us being friends for a long time.
The other time I was overwhelmed with good and kindness was here at the lounge. This past year has been rough. I was hospitalized over 10 times, for more than 5 days at a time. It really took a toll on me mentally and physically. Hemingway Jones put up a post here, letting you all know that I was in the hospital, and the responses from that post really made my day. The kind wishes for well being that I received from all of you was, well I can't really find the words for it. It made me feel so good. Even more shocking was, that I haven't even met most of you, but your support was incredible. Just like VintageJess, who received lots of support from the people here while her husband was away defending us, I was amazed.
You are all great people here, and although we don't always get along, in the end, we know we can put aside are differences and realize that we have a lot in common. Even though we've never met, we are sort of like family.

Pilgrim

One Too Many
Here's a story - I was going through the security line in the airport at Spokane, WA when I realized I had my small Swiss Army penknife in my pocket. (I carry it because the small blade, scissors and toothpick are extremely handy.

Of course, this is a federal offense. Don't get me started. My Cross ball point pen is more dangerous than that 1" penknife.

The security officer went out of his way to quietly say "I can't mention this officially, but on occasion I've seen people give their knives to someone in the terminal. it makes more sense than giving it to us." Nice of him!

There was no one behind me in line, so I went over to the ropes, found a gent with a white beard, and handed him the knife saying "I can't take this through - enjoy it. Just clean the toothpick if you want to use it."

I then checked through the line. But as I was leaving, the gent I'd given the knife to waved at me and said "Give me a business card and I'll mail the knife to you."

I did, and a week later, he did. I mailed him back a $5 check as a thanks.

Twitch

A minority of people are full of cynicism regarding people's goodness or badness. The vast majority in this land are just plain simple folks that quietly rise each day, go to work, raise families, pursue hobbies, grow old and die. The few that display abberent behavioral characteristics seem to be perceived as the majority and it is not so.
th_violent069.gif

Polyhistor

Familiar Face
Just a few days ago I scored a very nice hat in a yard sale - I was practically the only customer there and the lovely old lady who did the sale refused to take any money for the hat and gave it to me for free just because she thought I was a nice fellow. That absolutely made my day. :)
How many more happy people would there be around each day if all of us did small things like that a bit more often!

Sadly, at home I found out that the hat´s actually a bit too small for me...it would possibly fit if I shaved my head, but I refuse to ever do that again. :)

Regards, A.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot