Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

They've gone too far.

JimWagner

Practically Family
I've been using the Fusion ever since they came out. Best shave ever.

Much better shave than I ever received with a safety razor.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
When I first started shaving, I used those Gilette Fusions and Mach 2, 3, 4, 5 (Whatever!) razors and I couldn't stand them. My dad's gave a nice close shave, but I had to press pretty hard and that tired out my arm. My brother's did nothing but cut me.

I get a better shave with a single-blade, DE razor instead.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

SGT Rocket

Practically Family
zeytoun said:
No matter how close a cartridge blade can shave, it can't go more than an inch in a 3-day beard without having to clang out the whiskers... so I will be sticking to my Feather Super-Professional disposable straight razor. ;D

I would love to try a straight, but I don't have the money, or the intestinal fortitude right now. lol

edit for content: Plus, there really is something cool about a strait razor. My wife's grandfather used a straight. Both her and her grandmother thought it was super cool. My lack of "how to" and the price is what keeps me from doing it.

zeytoun

New in Town
SlyGI said:
I would love to try a straight, but I don't have the money, or the intestinal fortitude right now. lol
I hear ya. A good straight razor is pricey (especially when you add in the strop, and the brush, etc.), and it's a bit terrifying at first. I also found the whole regimen rather inconvenient.

I learned on a straight razor, but eventually switched to an 'injector' style straight razor with the disposable blades. (Example: the Mr. C in the link http://amzn.com/B0009SZZ4O ). This is hands down the cheapest method of shaving. And I have to say, the best razor blades mimic a straight razor surprisingly well.

It's also great for getting nice, precision lines at the bottoms of your sideburns, or for the worlds most precise pencil moustache.

Still, it's not for everyone. If you have very sensitive skin, like me, it may be too 'invasive' for an every day shave. I shave about every 3 days, and have 1 day of scruffy. But it is sooooo smooth....

zeytoun

New in Town
I use Feather "Professional Super" blades (20 pack for about $11) and they last 2-3 shaves for me. My beard is pretty thick, so your mileage may vary.

But I wouldn't necessarily recommend learning with those - they're insanely sharp. Feather also makes "Pro Guard" blades that would be better for learning on.

WineGuy

A-List Customer
I posted this on "What do you use to shave? Merged Thread" but it seem more apropos to this thread.

I've been using a Mach 3 turbo for as long as it's been around and have been more or less satisfied with it. Recently I caught the straight razor bug and went for my first straight razor(disposable type) shave in Manhattan and was surprised how much closer a shave I could get...I actually did not need to shave the next morning. So I went and purchased a vintage straight razor in a flea market last weekend and sent it to Lynn Abrams, founder of the straightrazorplace forum, who is a honemeister. While waiting for the razor to come back I started to experiment with my regular shaving routine borrowing from the barber experience and I've now managed to achieve a significantly better shave with the Mach 3 than I ever would have believed possible. I do the following:

a. Shave right after a hot shower.
b. Prep my face with a hot washcloth for 10 seconds.
c. Use 50% less of my shave gel than before but really work it into my beard by massaging it in all directions.
d. Shave as usual going exclusively WITH the grain of my beard.
e. Wipe down my face again with a hot washcloth.
f. Apply another,even lighter, amount of gel.
g. Shave exclusively AGAINST the grain of the beard.
h. Wipe down my face again with a hot washcloth
I. Apply a post shave balm such as Nivea or Clinique
J. With my face slick from the balm, I rub my fingers all over my beard feeling for missed stubble and then spot shave.

It takes me all of 10 minutes and I've been getting results pretty darn close to a straight razor. It's very important to change blades every week or so.

repeatclicks

Practically Family
WineGuy said:
I posted this on "What do you use to shave? Merged Thread" but it seem more apropos to this thread.

I've been using a Mach 3 turbo for as long as it's been around and have been more or less satisfied with it. Recently I caught the straight razor bug and went for my first straight razor(disposable type) shave in Manhattan and was surprised how much closer a shave I could get...I actually did not need to shave the next morning. So I went and purchased a vintage straight razor in a flea market last weekend and sent it to Lynn Abrams, founder of the straightrazorplace forum, who is a honemeister. While waiting for the razor to come back I started to experiment with my regular shaving routine borrowing from the barber experience and I've now managed to achieve a significantly better shave with the Mach 3 than I ever would have believed possible. I do the following:

a. Shave right after a hot shower.
b. Prep my face with a hot washcloth for 10 seconds.
c. Use 50% less of my shave gel than before but really work it into my beard by massaging it in all directions.
d. Shave as usual going exclusively WITH the grain of my beard.
e. Wipe down my face again with a hot washcloth.
f. Apply another,even lighter, amount of gel.
g. Shave exclusively AGAINST the grain of the beard.
h. Wipe down my face again with a hot washcloth
I. Apply a post shave balm such as Nivea or Clinique
J. With my face slick from the balm, I rub my fingers all over my beard feeling for missed stubble and then spot shave.

It takes me all of 10 minutes and I've been getting results pretty darn close to a straight razor. It's very important to change blades every week or so.

You should make a little pamphlet containing all this info! :p

docneg

One of the Regulars
KittyT said:
I make a homemade one for my man that he likes, and I can use it on my legs too. Will be happy to provide a good recipe here or links upon request.
Put me down for a copy of the recipe, please, Kitty!

theinterchange

One Too Many
I've TRIED [repeatedly] to get a decent shave with a safety razor, but always end up looking like something from a slasher film, and with a serious case of razor burn.

The best [and most consistent] shave I've has is with a Fusion and the Fusion gel I got free with the last batch of blades I purchased.

Though, I've been experimenting with that new Schick Hydro 5 razor with mixed results. The first shave was fantastic, all the rest since have been fairly poor.

So, I'm just gonna stick with what works for me and quit listening to people telling me that safety razors give better shaves... for me no. Heck, I WISH they did, as they're much cooler and bad donkey, but why fight my face, I have to live with it. [huh]

Randy

rmrdaddy

One Too Many
Randy,
Sorry to hear of your frustration. The learing curve with a DE razor is pretty steep, and unfortunately habits from shaving with any of the "modern" shaving devices are not backwards compatible. To get a close shave with a lightweight plastic Fusion razor, you need to press it firmly against your face and slide. Do that with a DE and you'll strip off epidermis. If you don't have the time, patience, or inclination I can't say I blame you. I will say for myself that once you have your DE mojo working, the variety of products and the results are quite enjoyable.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Honestly I would love a straight-razor. But the one thing holding me back is that I have NO idea where to get a strop from.

A honing/sharpening stone, I could probably find.

A razor I could find EASILY.

Shaving-soap, shaving-bowl, shaving-brush I already have.

But the strop?? *throws up hands in despair*

I'm not scared about cutting myself with a straight-razor, I just don't have all the prerequisite equipment yet, to take the plunge!

So for the time-being, I'll stick to my DE.

Puzzicato

One Too Many
Shangas said:
Honestly I would love a straight-razor. But the one thing holding me back is that I have NO idea where to get a strop from.

I'm not scared about cutting myself with a straight-razor, I just don't have all the prerequisite equipment yet, to take the plunge!

I bought my husband's strop on Amazon. I think it was this one http://www.amazon.co.uk/Scalpmaster...1_2?ie=UTF8&s=drugstore&qid=1273909491&sr=8-2 But until he got that, he was using his leather belt.

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
Shangas said:

Strops are avaliable on-line, I got a good one with leather and textile straps on eBay. It's the hone I can't find, I want a good hone in a super-fine grit that won't wreck my blade. Since my cut-throat is now in need of a hone I'm using an old safety razor until I find a hone or send it out to be refurbished.

theinterchange

One Too Many
rmrdaddy said:
Randy,
Sorry to hear of your frustration. The learing curve with a DE razor is pretty steep, and unfortunately habits from shaving with any of the "modern" shaving devices are not backwards compatible. To get a close shave with a lightweight plastic Fusion razor, you need to press it firmly against your face and slide. Do that with a DE and you'll strip off epidermis. If you don't have the time, patience, or inclination I can't say I blame you. I will say for myself that once you have your DE mojo working, the variety of products and the results are quite enjoyable.

Another problem I had was keeping the blade at the right angle to get an even shave, so I had to keep making passes over problem areas. Of course that added to the irritation factor. Though, it could have been the razor I was using, a Parker, which after a little more research on Badger & Blade, I found to be an aggressive choice for a beginner.

That being said, I know a guy who recently bought an old Gillette and hasn't looked back to multi-bladed razors. So, the moral of the story for me could be, do your research... FIRST!

Randy

Edward

Bartender
Edward said:
The Fusion - like the Mach III before it - comes in both power and non power versions. I use the non power version myself - I tried both options with the Mach III and quite honestly couldn't determine any perceptible advantage whatever to having the power handle. The cartiridges for the Fusion are about twice the price of the Mach III ones. I used to change blades every six weeks or so; now I tend to need a new one once a month since I started having a much greater area to shave (I started shaving my head completely about a year ago when a number 1 buzzcut twice a week ceased hiding the thinning on top). I must try and find them cheaper - my local Sainsburys seems incapable of stocking anything other than their own brand cartiridges (which only fit their handles - they stock plenty of the other brand handles, but they never have the blades in stock, which sucks - I'm sure they're much cheaper than the local chemist I currently use if they but sold the damn blades). Tried the Sainsburys ones, and they're crap - they had a version of the Mach III, but the cartiridge is closed at the back ,and the result is that the hair just builds up inside it and blocks it.

I try to use sensitive skin gel when I have the time, though most often i judt end up running the razor under the hot tap. I think blades would last longer under the cold, but I get a closer shave with the hot. C'est la vie... I'm still looking for an unperfumed aftershave balm - there are a few balms on the market, but they all have an aftershave smell, which I hate. I stopped using aftershave the instant I was just about old enough to shave regularly. Hate it.

Well, well. How times change.... I've now been shaving my face with an old school safety razor for two years, and using a brush and soap. Better, smoother shave than ever I got with the Fusion or any other cartridge razor. Much cheaper in the long run, too. Alas, I still have to use the Fusion for my head - can't see to get the right angle for the safety razro there - sliced myself badly when I tried it. At least now the blades last a bit longer...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn