Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Things you bought because they appeared in the Fedora Lounge

AntonAAK

Practically Family
Directly influenced

1940 Anderson and Sheppard suit (thanks Marc)
2 MTM repro suits from Magnoli
ReVamp spearpoint collar shirt
About a dozen self-tie bow ties
3 or four vintage fedoras purchased from Loungers
1 pair of trousers from the J Peterman sale
1 pair spectators
1 velvet smoking jacket
3 Fair Isle style jumpers
Tab, pin and club collar shirts.
Vintage collar bars and cufflinks (two pairs purchased from a Lounger this morning)
1 pocket watch
Vintage leather watch strap
1930s travel grooming and shaving set
Cocktail shaker and glasses and more bottles of gin and vermouth than I care to count.
Thin Man DVD boxed set

Indirectly influenced

Probably everything I have bought to wear since I joined has been informed by the things that I have learned here. I still buy shirts from high street stores for instance but if the collar isn't narrow enough to fit a collar bar then it's too much spread for me. Before I wouldn't even have noticed the difference.

And the first thing I do when I try on a jacket is button it and raise my arms.

Last edited:

Edward

Bartender
That all sounds familiar!

My latest bizarre fixation that came out of nowhere are the nylon flying jackets. I'm mad keen on the idea of an L-2A (to match my existing B15-C and B15-C mod), though I've managed to retain the sense not to pay out Buzz Rickson (who seem to be the only ones reproducing this item) the price of a very respectable A2 for the privilege of owning one. Seeing more, good B15 variant repros on eBay, an insane part of me wants to collect those..... and I can't rule out that part of that isn't down to the simple pleasures of seeing a row of these jackets on a rail with their AAF and USAF decals all side by side..... gah.....

SteveAS

Practically Family
In general, The Lounge has been responsible for:
- All the hats I now own (I started with two modern Stetsons, but sold them and replaced them with many times as many vintage fedoras)
- All the vintage shoes I now own (my shoe wardrobe used to be mostly modern Allen Edmonds, but now includes several pairs of vintage gunboats, and both brown/white and black/white spectators)
- Most of the vintage clothes I now own

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
Actually, The Fedora Lounge hasn't dented my wallet too badly. Let's see. All five of my Akubra hats. Two Resistols. A new Stetson Open Road. The Falcon Park hat I will soon buy. All six of my Panama Bob hats. And a Prison Blues jacket.

On the other hand, the Vintage Leather Jackets forum has really put a hurting on my bank account. I have no idea how many vintage military jackets, vintage civilian jackets, denim jackets, boots, shoes, knives and other sundry things I have purchased because of my membership there.

AF

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
I've not BOUGHT anything because I saw it here, but I have been INSPIRED to do things because of tips, pictures, or ideas that were mentioned here. I've learned so much about obscure, small things -- especially from LizzieMaine. The hair and sewing threads in the Ladies' Rooms are priceless for inspiration.

The FL certainly encourages me to buy plenty, especially hats. If the bank account were more willing, I'd have many, many more, but I've got a couple I've decided on from seeing examples here.

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
:clap:
And I'll never forget that a Lounger named Burnsie was the first person to really start posting about chinstrap chambray workshirts, a term that has since become ubiquitous on the FL and in my closet!
Wow. That's really a trendsetter. I remember seeing chinstraps here first and asked my girlfriend to makeme a repro. Now that I am aware of them I often see them on pictures. The Mugshot collection "Least Wanted" does show quite a lot of them.

I've not BOUGHT anything because I saw it here, but I have been INSPIRED to do things because of tips, pictures, or ideas that were mentioned here. I've learned so much about obscure, small things -- especially from LizzieMaine. The hair and sewing threads in the Ladies' Rooms are priceless for inspiration.
That's even cooler than just buying. :eusa_clap
Now that I think of it... it is certainly true that the FL inspired many reproductions and even the founding of some of the companies/projects. I like that.

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
I love looking at pictures of other people -- especially those who have similar interests. I love reading their blogs, too, as a little glimpse into their lives. I don't think this is "creepy" -- I find it inspirational. I've found better self-esteem, too :D

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
Hats, of course.

Saddle shoes.

An Ironrite iron with chair.

Vintage razors and wet shaving.

And that's just for starters! Lots of influences regarding clothing and other things. In some cases such as the Ironrite it was something I'd never known about, and in others, such as the hats, rekindled an old interest.

Cheers,
Tom

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
As I am at this moment in the middle of a re-block, I remembered that it was from FL that I obtained the detailed information on how to strip, block, and reassemble a felt hat. I take great pride in my work, and I am especially proud when I wear a hat that I have rebuilt myself.

Retro_GI_Jane

One of the Regulars
Julie Hewett lipsticks (thanks, Fortworth Gal!)
VO5 for hair styling (and the smell goes away soon enough!!)
These shoes:
1639.jpg

Mostly though, I've been inspired to beef up my vintage collection by the purchases, hand made clothes and just the general knowledge and love of vintage that other Loungers share online her.

I'm loving those shoes! Where are they from?

Chasseur

Call Me a Cab
Lately: too much Ralph Lauren stuff (even when its 70% its not cheap...), and now flat caps, and I want more!!!

fluteplayer07

One Too Many
Way too many things. Besides the obvious, fedoras, vintage suits, and 50's casual clothing...

Pocket watches and wrist watches
Brigg brolly (just in today - hickory solid shaft) -- Thanks Matt Deckard
Caps (Cordova on order)
Allen Edmonds shoes -- Thanks again Matt
Wet shaving, still using a disposable razor though
More Ralph Lauren than I can afford. I don't do vintage dress shirts (the gross/sweat factor is too much, all of my dress shirts are RL now... I run through dress shirts like people do jeans, day-in day-out and RL's blue, black, and purple label are by far the most comfortable, regardless of how modern the styling is)
Antique cameras
A 20's morning wear outfit
Fountain pens

This place turned me on to wearing hats, vintage suits, and overall much nicer clothing than I used to. I rarely ever wear t-shirts... It's an occasion for my friends when I do.

AE spectators, strawfut, wearing fedoras, Al Bowlly music, the JCPennys American something brand, Darcy clothing, cigarette holders, Annette Hanshaw music, Vera Lynn music, getting a better idea how I want my suits tailored, getting a better idea how I want my tuxedos tailored (future purchases) Randolph Engineering sunglasses (I think), and Swedish heavy metal music.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21