Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Think you're man enough to handle a BarnStormer flyboy...? No wimps allowed!!

MDFrench

A-List Customer
Barnstormers

Hey all,

Anyone know anything about Barnstormer jackets they can tell me?

Seems like there's no rule of thumb on this one. I see long leather trench coats as well as short, traditional leather jackets with fur lined collars being used by the ol' barnstomers pilots.

What would be the most traditional for say, the late 1920s/early 1930s?

Thanks,
Mike

MikeyB17

One of the Regulars
Mike,
There's no hard and fast rule for flight jackets around that time-most of them were privately purchased-length, material and accoutrements like fur collars were all down to the wearer and what he could obtain and afford. Leather was popular of course, but so was canvas. I'd guess though, that a typical flight jacket of the time was of three quarter length, double breasted, belted, and almost always with a large front map pocket on the left breast. Pockets and collars varied according to taste. Of course, by the 20's a lot of flyers had moved away from jackets towards heavily insulated fur and shearling-lined one-piece flying suits, and also in 1927 the air corps introduced the A-1, which I'm sure you're familiar with. Have a look at Aero (who do a very nice Barnstormer) and Eastman used to do a 'Red Baron' type jacket along similar lines.

The Mad Hatter

A-List Customer
I have an Aero horsehide barnstormer (cordovan), which is a fantanstic jacket.

http://www.aeroleatherclothing.com/...ge?page=displayproduct&subcatid=38&prodid=761

Beyond question, this is the finest jacket I have.

Aero also makes steerhide barnstormers as well as shawl collar barnstormers.

I am not well enough educated to guage how historically accurate these jackets are, but you can't go wrong. These jackets are great.

US Authentic also offers an Aero-type barnstormer, which it calls the "Racer Coat"
http://www.flightjacket.com/detail.aspx?ID=11

as well as a different type of jacket, which it calls a "Barnstormer."

http://www.flightjacket.com/barnstormer.aspx

I don't know how good those jackets are, but the webpages are informative.

Actually, the A-1 was very popular with barnstormers.

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Just been measured up for a barnstormer chaps!

Hey, thought it would be part of my rehab to treat myself to an early Xmas/birthday pressie! so a kind hearted soul ran me up to the Aero factory, where I got measured up and opted for the heavy weight front quarter horse hide with a cashmere lining and my name embossed on a leather tag stitched on the inside (all part of the service). I nearly went for a fine Harris Tweed lining, but decided on the dark green cashmere. This jacket when I get it will outlive me. Just hope I can carry it off as well as these two chaps in the picture!

MikeyB17

One of the Regulars
Hell of a jacket Paddy,

All you need is an Avro 504 or a Curtiss Jenny and you'll be set!
(But perhaps not the riding breeches and putties, eh? Well, whatever floats your boat, I guess :)

ITG

Call Me a Cab
Whoo-woo! (whistling)

Paddy, seems my post in reply to your pic got lost in the forum's change over, so I'll repost my initial reaction on seeing the pic (I think I may have emailed ya too but I can't remember). That jacket looks fabulous on you! It makes you look quite distinguished and the hat looks great too. What fedora is that? Long jackets are great when you're wearing longer shirts tucked out...I love the Indy jacket, but I can't wear it with everything because it is a bit short cropped for some of my tops. Very nice indeed. I think you hit a homerun.

MikeyB17

One of the Regulars
Can't tell you much about the maker, but I know that horsehide jackets largely disappeared in the US during the 50's after the law was passed forbidding horses to be slaughtered for leather, so I would say it must be from the 50's or before, the 30's and 40's being the peak of horsehide production by companies like Sears. In any case, front quarter horse is top quality stuff-check out the price of a jacket like that nowadays. Paddy will agree! Was it cheap? Might be worth posting on one of the jacket forums, particularly The Classic 20th, where knowledge greater than mine is to be found.

http://TheClassic20th@yahoogroups.com

geosync

New in Town
Thanks

Thanks, I will check it out. Any tips on what leather care products I should use on horsehide? It doesn't show any cracking, but it was pretty stiff when I bought it, so I used some Coach moisturizer on it. Is this ok, or is there something better to use?

Salv

One Too Many
I've just ordered an Aero Barnstormer - one of their sale items in Cordovan Jerky Horsehide -

S1334(b).JPG

Never having owned a good quality leather jacket before I was wondering if anyone here (Paddy, you know I'm thinking of you...) can offer me any advice on how to take care of it, considering I live in the UK. Should it be treated in any way? Or left as is? How does Jerky Horsehide react to rain (or even snow)? I don't want to handle the jacket as though it's too precious to ever wear, but neither do I want to wreck it by wearing it in weather it's not suited for.

Thanks in advance for any help.

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Hi Salv. Regarding the Barnstormer...

This baby will feel like it's a suit of armour or bulletproof to start with. But it will soften up in no time with plenty of wear.
Don't molly-coddle it my friend, this type of leather was originally used as work wear/protection for blue collar workers. Let it get scratched and bumped (not saying go looking for it!) and don't be overly worried if it does. It will add to the character like a good pair of old brogues! As you are in the London area, Paddy's top tip for today. Go to RM WILLIAMS (Aussie boot store) in Regent Street (nearly opposite Hamleys) and get a can of their leather cream! I swear by it. It doesn't go rancid and has no real scent to it. But personally I'd only resort to that after a year or so of hard wear! You aren't going to be doing surveillance for MI5 in thorn bushes or anything like that, so just wear the baby hard.
As you do, and it creases and moulds to your form, you'll find it develops a stunning patina with lighter patches and darker patches and just looks the dogs doolies!
Be ready for people to initially say, "my, that jacket looks like it was chisselled out of granite!" (which actually was said to me!), but if that is the case, then just think, what they are really saying is that you look like a Greek God chisselled by a great sculptor in that beautiful barnstorming double breasted jacket!! Well Done Aero! and Well Done Salv for biting the bullet and getting one.

Photos please when your ship comes in!!!

Baggers

Practically Family
I got this same jacket in brown with a twill lining back in November. You can see picture of it here.

I love it. It has broken in very well, and I can add nothing more to what has been already said. It's an excellent value and will last you forever! :)

Cheers!

Salv

One Too Many
PADDY said:
This baby will feel like it's a suit of armour or bulletproof to start with. But it will soften up in no time with plenty of wear.
Don't molly-coddle it my friend, this type of leather was originally used as work wear/protection for blue collar workers. Let it get scratched and bumped (not saying go looking for it!) and don't be overly worried if it does. It will add to the character like a good pair of old brogues! As you are in the London area, Paddy's top tip for today. Go to RM WILLIAMS (Aussie boot store) in Regent Street (nearly opposite Hamleys) and get a can of their leather cream! I swear by it. It doesn't go rancid and has no real scent to it. But personally I'd only resort to that after a year or so of hard wear! You aren't going to be doing surveillance for MI5 in thorn bushes or anything like that, so just wear the baby hard.

Thanks very much Paddy, I appreciate the advice and I'm glad to hear that I won't have to baby it. I know the RM Williams shop, so I'll stop in next time I'm up that way.

PADDY said:
As you do, and it creases and moulds to your form, you'll find it develops a stunning patina with lighter patches and darker patches and just looks the dogs doolies!

Now that's exactly the look I'm hoping for.

PADDY said:
...what they are really saying is that you look like a Greek God chisselled by a great sculptor in that beautiful barnstorming double breasted jacket!!

I can't quite imagine that anyone is going to think that...

PADDY said:
Photos please when your ship comes in!!!

You bet. They reckoned about two weeks for delivery, and I called yesterday, so very late Feb-early March.

Baggers said:
I got this same jacket in brown with a twill lining back in November. You can see picture of it here.

It looks great being worn. I spent a couple of days comparing the brown and cordovan before finally deciding on the cordovan - I prefer the reddish tint but it looks fantastic in brown as well. The brown looks darker in your picture than it does in the Aero picture. And the sweater underneath matches perfectly.

Baggers said:
It's an excellent value and will last you forever!

Good to hear - thanks very much Baggers.

Salv

One Too Many
I called Aero yesterday since it had been just over 2 weeks since I ordered the jacket, and they were just finishing off the button-holes. They reckoned it would go out today or Monday, so next questions: what delivery method do they use in the UK (Post Office, Parcelforce, courier)? And how long does a jacket normally take to arrive - if it goes out today will I get it on Monday (or even tomorrow if they use first class post)?

<looks for smiley to indicate jumping up and down like a hyper-excited 5-year old, but can't find one...>

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot