Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Think you're man enough to handle a BarnStormer flyboy...? No wimps allowed!!

rick canavar

New in Town
I just recently sold a USA A-2 in russet horsehide because I've decided to upgrade to a more accurate A-2 repro, probably a Goodwear. That being said, the ASU was really a great jacket. No, not terribly accurate, but not bad at all either unless you are a real jacket freak. For the inaccuracies you get a very comfortable, easy to wear jacket. The horsehide is nice and soft, but thicker than most of the hides that are used by other makers, so its maybe not as easy to wear later into the spring and earlier in the fall than others.

I originally got the jacket in a straight across trade for an old G-1 jacket and didn't know if I was doing the right thing at the time, but when I packed it up and mailed it I was sorry to see it go.

Rick

Tommydean

Familiar Face
Doctor Strange said:
For what it's worth, Shaul runs a very small shop (just a step above a garage operation), so he can really be on top of every custom order. Though US A's low prices can rapidly rise as you add options, they can make you exactly what you want very quickly.

I've had one of their horsehide A-2s for six years, and while it may not be the world's most accurate repro, it's one mega-tough thing of beauty!

Wow.. I was thinking Shauls shop to be at least 3000 sq feet. when I figured out the pricing on a US/A jacket compared to an Aero the aero was still 200
bucks more than the US/A, plus i do like the the (mega-tough) horsehide:D
Tom

MudInYerEye

Practically Family
I had one years ago. No photos, not worth taking any. The fit was awful. It was cut all boxy like a modern overcoat, not like a 1920's mackinaw. Original 20's/30's "barnstormer" style jackets are pretty easy to find in the colder months on eBay (especially from Canadian sellers). They usually go from $75 to $350.

JLStorm

Practically Family
Weird...with all the people that seem to love the Aero barnstormer, I would have thought someone would have had some photos to share. [huh]

tonypaj

Practically Family
JLStorm said:
Weird...with all the people that seem to love the Aero barnstormer, I would have thought someone would have had some photos to share. [huh]

I can't speak for others but I have a regular Barnstormer that I use mostly when the temperature is somewhere between 0 and 10 centigrade, I guess that would be 32-50 Fahrenheit or thereabouts. I have no need for a shaw collar, in fact a silk scarf is fine. Now when the temperature goes lower, I prefer long wool overcoats, way warmer and less stiff. And when it gets really cold, then it's time for modern stuff, mountain gear and like. But that's seldom, and we get these temperatures mainly way up on the mountains.

Have you tried FQHH in serious sub-zero temperatures? I have not, but I can imagine it being a handful, could be wrong, though...

JLStorm

Practically Family
tonypaj said:
I can't speak for others but I have a regular Barnstormer that I use mostly when the temperature is somewhere between 0 and 10 centigrade, I guess that would be 32-50 Fahrenheit or thereabouts. I have no need for a shaw collar, in fact a silk scarf is fine. Now when the temperature goes lower, I prefer long wool overcoats, way warmer and less stiff. And when it gets really cold, then it's time for modern stuff, mountain gear and like. But that's seldom, and we get these temperatures mainly way up on the mountains.

Have you tried FQHH in serious sub-zero temperatures? I have not, but I can imagine it being a handful, could be wrong, though...

No, I havent ever worn horsehide...you think it would be quite stiff in the colder temperatures?

tonypaj

Practically Family
JLStorm said:
No, I havent ever worn horsehide...you think it would be quite stiff in the colder temperatures?

I would think so, but again, I do not know, I could be wrong here. Aero FQHH is heavy, stiff, and way softer in warm than in cold, that much I can say. However, if it changes between 0 centigrade and -30, I have no idea...

But then again, someone in here will definitely know, there's no end in the info here... :)

DJS Press

One of the Regulars
I've worn my Aero's in temps as low as 0 (zero) fahrenheit, and wind chills well below that. If you left your jacket in a car (as I have a time or two) and put it on, it's stiff. What I've found, however, is that as your body heat warms it up it tends to retain the heat and loosens up.

If you wear it coming from out of a warm building, then it doesn't seem to stiffen up near as much.

Bottom line for me is that the stiffness never bothers me much, they keep me warm, and they're always the baddest jacket in the room, or wherever you happen to be.

Front Quarter Horsehide, Baby!

JLStorm

Practically Family
DJS Press said:
I've worn my Aero's in temps as low as 0 (zero) fahrenheit, and wind chills well below that. If you left your jacket in a car (as I have a time or two) and put it on, it's stiff. What I've found, however, is that as your body heat warms it up it tends to retain the heat and loosens up.

If you wear it coming from out of a warm building, then it doesn't seem to stiffen up near as much.

Bottom line for me is that the stiffness never bothers me much, they keep me warm, and they're always the baddest jacket in the room, or wherever you happen to be.

Front Quarter Horsehide, Baby!

Good to know. Buy the way I emailed Mark Moye, and he doesnt have any photos of the jacket on a real person. Im just trying to get an idea of how it looks. The way the jacket is built, it looks like it would make even the most slender of people look a bit round.

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
No shawl photos...

...I only have photos of the standard FQHH Aero Barnstormer, and cannot remember ever seeing one's of the 'shawl' version on here. Sorry.

Edward

Bartender
JLStorm said:

My understanding is that one of the reasons the sheepskin flight jackets - B£, Irvin etc - were developed was because the old B2 etc type horse versions became stiff at sub zero temperatures, impeding movement. As plane technology improved and they could fly higher, they needed a jacket that would stay warm without stiffening like that....

That said, I should have thought that in day to day, modern civilian usage you'd be unlikely to end up in a cold enough temperature that this would be much of a problem.

Quite fancy a regular barnstormer myself one day - with about 18" added round the bottom so it'll go swell with a suit. ;)

1911 Man

A-List Customer
New Aero Barnstormer

All I can say is, wow.

I have an Aero A2 already, so I have first hand knowledge of Aero's quality, but this surpassed even my high hopes. It fits great, it is superbly crafted, but I only have one photo right now because it is too hot to wear it for longer than one photo at a time :)

I'll post more photos when it cools a bit. It arrived yesterday, and the temperature reached 95 F that afternoon.

Cheers!

HPIM0904.jpg

Edward

Bartender
Those really are gorgeous jackets..... one day I'd love to have one, but with an extra two feet in length added.

Is that the full FQHH, or the shaved version? Antiqued brown, or regular? Stunning colour, I'm sure that will age beautifully.

WhiskeyTangoFox

One of the Regulars
What a great fit! Aero Leather did a fantastic job on that one. Is that made out of the oil-pull horsehide? It looks like it will wear in very nicely. Congratulations on a superb jacket!

Noel

DJS Press

One of the Regulars
Beautiful jacket. Another winner from Aero. I think that's made from the standard brown fqhh, correct?

What kind of lining did you get?

You're going to enjoy that jacket for a long, long time. Expect to get a lot of compliments on it as well.

1911 Man

A-List Customer
Thank you all for the kind words.

Details:

Standard brown FQHH, but I did ask for the darkest shade brown available in that hide.

I got the red tartan wool lining, and asked for two interior pockets, which I got. I also asked for two additional belt loops on the back, an idea borrowed from Bladesmith on this forum. He posted pics a few months ago of an Aero Admiral Byrd model made for him with extra belt loops, and I liked them. I will post additional pics soon of close up details.

Then I will wait patiently for winter.

Lear

One of the Regulars
Great stuff!

Wow!

1911 Man, it looks fantastic!

You are also lucky enough to have the confidence and poise to pull it off. Thank your genetics and/or lifestyle for that.

I think you've made a great choice.

The next time you leave the house; start the stopwatch and note how long it is before someone compliments you on the Aero :D

Enjoy!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusa80