Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Thirties sweater/jumper

Creeping Past

One Too Many
As far as I know, this style of wool sweater doesn't have a name. It's just a jumper, as we call them here. They may well be hand made.

Isherwood and Spender seem to be cultivating an air of academic carelessness-of-dress, in contrast to Auden's more formal attire.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Creeping Past said:
As far as I know, this style of wool sweater doesn't have a name. It's just a jumper, as we call them here.
Over here we would call it a crew neck sweater, though the sweaters that the gents are wearing appear to have a slightly wider neck opening than commonly seen today.

Something like this:

bartlett_027.jpg

Creeping Past

One Too Many
I was specifically answering the OP's question about the jumpers in the photo. I know there's a garment called a crew neck, but part of my point is these aren't.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Creeping Past said:
I know there's a garment called a crew neck, but part of my point is these aren't.
Well, the fellow on the right might be wearing a boat neck sweater (due to the weave of the neckline) but the chap in the center looks to be wearing a wide neck (or stretched out) crew (again, due to the neckline). It's really hard to tell with their jackets on.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sirteen