Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

This American Life

Brian Sheridan

One Too Many
Last night, I went to the movie theater to watch a live, high definiton broadcast from NYC of "This American Life" with Ira Glass. It fit with my desire to use the most advanced, highest level of technology to enjoy something that is really old, in this case HD sat telecasting to watch a radio show.

If you havent heard the show....check it out online, www.thislife.org , or check your public radio listings. If you have SHOWTIME, the The American Life TV show starts its second season on Sunday.

Both formats offers amazing glimpses into the good, and not so good, nature of the American people. It is nicely paced and not "in your face." Glass is a fan of old-time radio and it really resembles a modern take on the vintage radio style.

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I love this American Life, I think it's one of the best things on the radio (along with Terry Gross's Fresh Air). I subscribe to the podcast and listen to them whenever I get the chance. It really makes long road trips enjoyable.

What was the topic discussed? Did you meet Ira Glass? Was there live music between Acts?

Brian Sheridan

One Too Many
Miss_Bella_Hell said:
I love this American Life, I think it's one of the best things on the radio (along with Terry Gross's Fresh Air). I subscribe to the podcast and listen to them whenever I get the chance. It really makes long road trips enjoyable.

What was the topic discussed? Did you meet Ira Glass? Was there live music between Acts?

I'm sorry...I wasn't clear. I was in a movie theater in Erie, PA and the show was in NYC. Movies theaters across the country held this special event. It was all about the ideas behind the show, a plug for the new Showtime season, and an audience Q&A. No music between acts though when Ira talked he had music going on just like in the radio show. It was a strange hybrid of radio/TV/live stage show. David Rackoff came out and did a short bit but mostly it was clips and outtakes from the TV series and Ira talking.

nobodyspecial

Practically Family
I too love the radio show although I do not have a chance to listen to the show as often as I like, especially without my kids talking over the top of the show. To me, the show's appeal are these sometimes quirky topics that are oddly compelling to listen to. It's like watching a movie or reading a book, you just have to hear the ending.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
We also carried the simulcast at the Strand -- I operated the equipment on our end of the line. We had about 150 people, which is a pretty good crowd for a town of 8000 people, thanks in part to statewide publicity courtesy of the Maine Public Broadcasting Network.

Opinions? I wasn't sure how well it translated to a visual medium -- the individual stories were good, but other than the wonderful little animated short, they didn't do a whole lot with the visual possibilities. Still, it was a pleasant evening, we sold a lot of concessions, and I must say this was the *cleanest* crowd we've had in a long time. Every one of them carried their trash out with them, instead of leaving it for us little people to clean up. For that we were most appreciative.

Aviator

Familiar Face
Great show...probably one of the smartest shows out there

Love TAL, as well as Fresh Air, Talk of the Nation, Car Talk, Wait Wait Don't Tell Me and lots of others on PRI/NPR. I get the podcast as well, and listen to them while fighting traffic.

No theaters nearby had it, otherwise I might have gone. It is fun to sit in a theater with like-minded people every once in a while.

I also thank Ira Glass for helping to give the very funny David Sedaris his start with his broadcast of "The Santa Land Diaries"...hilarious stuff.

Brian Sheridan

One Too Many
LizzieMaine said:
We also carried the simulcast at the Strand -- I operated the equipment on our end of the line.

That is so cool. I concur with your assessment of the show. It was amazing though to watch it in HD on a huge screen and it was happening live somewhere. Jeez, I hope that doesn't make me sound like a hick.

If the thread won't mind a technical question Lizzie - how was that signal transmitted from NYC? Was it equipment that serves other purposes when special events like this one is not being shown?

LizzieMaine

Bartender
It's a special closed-circuit satellite channel run by an outfit called National Cinemedia -- the same equipment we use to receive the Metropolitan Opera simulcasts. From there it goes thru our regular processing rack and is fed into our house sound system and a digital projector, and that's all there is to it. As long as nothing interferes with the satellite signal path, and as long as there's no ice in the dish, the system works flawlessly.

National Cinemedia works with a programming packager called Fathom Events to put on these shows -- the Opera is their bread and butter, but they do lots of other events, including concerts, standup comedy, and stage presentations like the This American Life event.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Sorry to be so late to the party.

I was really interested in this, but the tickets seemed a bit pricey just to see them on the screen.

However, put me down as another huge fan of TAL, as well as Wait, Wait, Car Talk, Says You, and Terry Gross.

TAL introduced me to David Sedaris who, through the anthology Children Playing Before a Statue of Hercules, introduced me to Richard Yates. In fact, at least half of what I've read in the past few years is because of TAL: Sarah Vowell, David Rakoff, the anthology The New Kings of Non-Fiction, and others. The show has really played a part in shaping who I am.

I haven't seen the TV show yet, but am curious as to how the idea of the show will translate to the screen.

Brian Sheridan

One Too Many
it retains the same flavor and Ira Glass does some of the interviews but always appears at the show's beginning to tell us what the theme of the show is for that week. It is sometimes done in 3 acts, or 1 act, or how ever many stories they have. It is a quick little 1/2 hour. Glass did not "sell out to TV" as someone have accussed him of doing.

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
I appeared on This American Life a couple of times and am acquainted (though not close) with Ira Glass. He's a fine guy.

He lives in my neighborhood these days, and when I bumped into him once and was able to introduce my wife to him, she was thrilled.

We're both big fans -- it's a great show.

jawisher

Familiar Face
On Cable

I am also a fan of 'This American Life' (as well as 'Fresh Air'), and catch the radio show most weeks on NPR. They have also been running the series on Showtime, and if you have On Demand, can watch the episodes at your leisure.

nobodyspecial

Practically Family
Somewhat off topic, but speaking of other public radio bits, has anyone heard The Annoying Music Show? From time to time the Saturday morning NPR show will feature highlights.

Brian Sheridan

One Too Many
nobodyspecial said:
Somewhat off topic, but speaking of other public radio bits, has anyone heard The Annoying Music Show? From time to time the Saturday morning NPR show will feature highlights.

I have one of the compilation CD's. It is funny but not something you'd listen to very often.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
*bump*

Anyone planning to attend this year's Live in HD big screen presentation of "This American Life?" It's tonight at 8 Eastern time -- we'll be showing it at the theatre where I work, as we did last year, and there are dozens of other houses around the country where it'll screen.

So far we have about 60 tickets sold, but hopefully we'll have more -- it's supposed to be another good show!

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
I do love the show, but got a kick out of a something Ira mentioned once. Seems the show was mentioned on The OC. One character mentions it and the other says something like "You mean that annoying show where they try to convince you how interesting ordinary people are?" A little ring of truth, I think. But do love it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tuatara