Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

This Old Hat

JJR512

New in Town
My sister was recently cleaning out her old room in our parents' house and came across a hat that she says isn't hers, but she thinks she remembers that it's mine. She doesn't know what it was doing in her closet, and frankly, I don't remember ever owning it.

It's a felt fedora. It might be black, or maybe dark gray. It's hard to tell because it's extremely dusty. It's also soft. I don't know how soft felt fedoras are supposed to be; the only quality hats I've handled were all cowboy hats, and this felt fedora is softer than any quality felt cowboy hat I've ever seen.

It's not a specific size, just XL. I see no brand name inside it, not even on the inside of the liner band. The only thing I see at all is a "Made in the USA" tag, other than the XL. There is no logo or symbol of any kind.

As I mentioned, it's quite dusty, and also somewhat misshapen due to being soft and stuffed haphazardly in a closet for years. However, it fits my someone big head, and I think I like it.

Is there anything I can do myself to rehabilitate this hat? Should I get one of those orange hat sponges to clean it up? What about the shape; I'm willing to experiment. Either I take it to a professional first, or I try myself and either fail and take it to a professional then, or maybe I succeed. But I don't know how to even try, other than that it's probably going to involve steam.

JJR512

New in Town
One other thing...As I mentioned, I have no idea where this hat came from. I don't remember buying or owning it myself. For all I know, I could have found it on the street and brought it home with me and forgot about it. Or maybe I inherited it from my grandfather. I have no idea. But should I be worried about anything...I'm assuming that after years in a closet, and "cooties" have long since gone away...right?

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
If it's sized "XL" instead of a fractional hat size, my guess would be that it's a wool felt as opposed to a fur felt. If this is the case, I wouldn't recommend using water to shape it, steam might work.

JJR512

New in Town
Could be wool. How can I tell the difference? (Sorry for what is undoubtedly a very simple question for this membership...)

JJR512

New in Town
Here are some photos.

I think the crown is basically fine, in terms of shaping. It's the brim that really needs some work.

hat1.jpg

hat2.jpg

hat3.jpg

hat4.jpg

Any help, tips or advice would be appreciated. Thanks! :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou