Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

This "sucks"... the Hoover And Other Vintage Vacuum Cleaners

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
Well, if you have a vacuum repair shop in your town, take it there and they can maybe see what's going on. Some times when that happens, the power supply (power cord) may have been week to start with on the inside of the machine.

She's not dead, these old electric motors wont die that easy. I acquired a 1917 GE 12" desk fan... it was running, I started to clean it up and then I plugged it back in and then POP goes the head wire... I noticed after there was some bare wire showing on the head cord... the original cloth covered cord was deteriorating due to bad storage and 92 years of age. lol So, I took the motor apart, and put a new head cord on... with some help from an electrician friend of mine. Put it all back together and flipped the switch... WHEEEEEEEEEEEE!!! Works like a charm!

Vacuum motors are very close to fan motors... because all a vacuum is, is just an enclosed fan with a dust bag.

Don't give up hope Scott, she's not dead, she just needs a little waking up.;)

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Decomposed rubber wiring -- the insulation under the cloth jacket on the power cord is rubber, and with heat and use it gets brittle and flakes off. It's the bane of vintage electrical goods, but it's not hard to fix. Just make sure what you replace it with is heavy enough gauge to withstand the current load.

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
Hope to hear an update on the Dustette... those are on the rare side... well, earlier models such as yours Scott!

In our new place we have wall to wall carpeting... :( it's nice, kind of thick but, it's kind of hard to push that heavy Hoover over... however, I do it anyway and it keeps this carpet clean!

The shallow area rugs are best for these old cleaners but, they'll stand up to heavier nap too.

bobbydavis

One of the Regulars
Great Hoover 700!

Forgotten Man said:
Well, it didn't occur to me until I took close looks at the Canadian ad you posted... I looked at it and noticed many things that my 700 has... such as the placement of the motor cord and the plug that goes into the handle from the motor cord. Also, how it illustrates the "slinky" styled sleeve over the cord... on the American models, it seems to cover the whole cord... but on the first one I acquired only goes half way then its just black cord like in the illustration in the ad.

I have some free time this morning and I'll post some photos! For now, I won this on ebay and I'm very excited! No, it's not a scissor brace or the original bag but, it's a small grouping of original HOOVER name badges for the front of the cleaners. There are four early ones... and one orange and black triangle 700 badge!

!BYtMudwB2k~$(KGrHgoH-CEEjlLl0us,BKj!ZDJw7w~~_12.JPG

I wanna keep one of the earlier ones... but the others I'll let go... if anyone needs early HOOVER badges, I'll give'em a good deal ;) These are N.O.S. by the way... opening bid was 14.99 and with free shipping! No one bid!

Your Hoover 700 is a beautiful machine!
I have 5 vintage Hoovers and one is a 700 with a different badge.
I'll try to post a pic.

Bobby.

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
Why, thank you very much! It is my favorite vacuum! There is just something about the polished aluminum with the black bag and orange contrasts... very clean and classic, yet modern even today.

Interesting how these antique appliances of 80+ year vintage will still service a home and stand up to years of service. And look just amazing at the same time.

I'd love to see the photos of your 700 and the other Hoover's you have!

bobbydavis

One of the Regulars
How to post pictures.

Forgotten Man said:
Why, thank you very much! It is my favorite vacuum! There is just something about the polished aluminum with the black bag and orange contrasts... very clean and classic, yet modern even today.

Interesting how these antique appliances of 80+ year vintage will still service a home and stand up to years of service. And look just amazing at the same time.

I'd love to see the photos of your 700 and the other Hoover's you have!

I would gladly post pics but not sure how to on this web-site.
Any assistance would be appreciated.
Thank you.
Bobby

bobbydavis

One of the Regulars
bobbydavis said:
I would gladly post pics but not sure how to on this web-site.
Any assistance would be appreciated.
Thank you.
Bobby
Forgot to mention that "The Fedora Lounge" is absolutely fantastic!
I came by it quite by accident looking for vintage Hoovers. It's so very unique and original and truly "Art-Deco"!

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
From the FAQ

Here you go:
How do I attach a photo?
Follow these simple steps:

1. Upload your image to a server. You can use either your own ISP (internet service provider) or image hosting sites such as: http://system.freepgs.com; www.fotki.com; or www.photobucket.com.

2. Once you have uploaded your photo and can see it in your browser, put your cursor over the photo and right click. Select properties, which will show you the Internet "address" of the photo. Highlight this address and copy it.

3. To attach the image to a post at The Fedora Lounge, start a post and click on the little image icon -above the text field. A pop up box will allow you to paste the address of your image. When you are finished, Click "ok." The photo will appear with your post. Only certain types of files may be attached: these are the valid file extensions for files to be attached to this forum.

After posting, the attachment will show up in the body of your message. To view the contents of the attachment (if it is not already displayed) simply click the filename link that appears next to the attachment icon: -

bobbydavis

One of the Regulars
Posting Pictures.

scotrace said:
Here you go:
How do I attach a photo?
Follow these simple steps:

1. Upload your image to a server. You can use either your own ISP (internet service provider) or image hosting sites such as: http://system.freepgs.com; www.fotki.com; or www.photobucket.com.

2. Once you have uploaded your photo and can see it in your browser, put your cursor over the photo and right click. Select properties, which will show you the Internet "address" of the photo. Highlight this address and copy it.

3. To attach the image to a post at The Fedora Lounge, start a post and click on the little image icon -above the text field. A pop up box will allow you to paste the address of your image. When you are finished, Click "ok." The photo will appear with your post. Only certain types of files may be attached: these are the valid file extensions for files to be attached to this forum.

After posting, the attachment will show up in the body of your message. To view the contents of the attachment (if it is not already displayed) simply click the filename link that appears next to the attachment icon: -

Thank you I will try it soon.
BD

Chainsaw

Suspended
Scott, just open up the casing and look for any black marks. It might be the cord(easy to change), or the windings. Smell the motor too to see if it's burnt. I don't think it would be the brushs ( little magnets on springs), but you can check it in that order.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats