Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

This Tapered Hat For Hire

Feraud

Bartender
I will admit I am not a fan of Alan Ladd's hat in this movie.
The crown looks a bit short and tapered for my tastes.
THIS_GUN_FOR_HIRE-67.jpg

THIS_GUN_FOR_HIRE-9.jpg

THIS_GUN_FOR_HIRE-19.jpg

It could be the camera angles

Granted, Veronica Lake makes it look better but still...
THIS_GUN_FOR_HIRE-86-1.jpg

What say you on this quiet Friday?

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
Yeah. I think the hat suits him, though it may not suit others. That hat's got a lot of character too. Look at its varying moods in the pictures you posted. It's got more range than the actor underneath it. :D

And it looks great in this image:

143644~This-Gun-for-Hire-Posters.jpg

Joel Tunnah

Practically Family
I think the wide-ish brim (relative to the hat's overall size) and the shorter, tapered crown, give the hat a more feminine look. More like a lady's gardening hat is cut.

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
And...

Orgetorix said:
I actually kinda like it. I'm not a big fan of towering crowns, anyway. And I have no problem with taper. Ladd seems to have a long/tall head, so a higher crown might have made him look goofy.
... Ladd was a little guy too (5 feet 4.5 inches) he once was quoted as saying "I have the face of an ageing choirboy and the build of an undernourished featherweight. If you can figure out my success on the screen you're a better man than I."

RedPop4

One Too Many
I kind of like that lower crown. I'm not much for the "towering crown" as someone else put it, espcially if I'm in need of a hair cut and the hat sits even higher.

Forgive me this, but I'm the same way with baseball caps. If you've watched baseball over the last couple decades, those caps are stiff and stand straight up I guess to better present the logo. The umpire's caps are the worst.

artboynyc

New in Town
I have to say I like Ladd's hat. I have nothing against a tapered crown, so long as it was designed with a taper and didn't just start to taper when it got wet. It wouldn't suit me, but I think it suits him fine.

I like Redford's hat in The Natural, too, but I could live without the wear and tear. But I prefer that number he was wearing in The Sting. (Prefer the movie, too.)

-Tom

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou