Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

This will be fun... Let's cast a remake of It's A Wonderful Life.

Julius Xavier

One of the Regulars
I personally think it's fine just like it is but with hollywood running out of ideas I'm sure this will be appearing in the next couple years... SO who would you cast? Here are my selections...

121117715.jpg

So what do you think? I'll defend any of my selections to the end. I know there are a couple main people missing I just couldn'e find good pics to show but I post the rest of my secections later... depending on how well these are received.

-DocIndyJones

Quigley Brown

Call Me a Cab
With a cast like that I'd have to agree with you...of course with a cast like that it would cost a lot of moolah to make. Phillip Hoffman certainly has my vote.

PrettyBigGuy

A-List Customer
They already did remake It's A Wonderful Life back in 1977 as a made-for-TV abomination called It Happened One Christmas!
In a brilliant screenwriting move George's gender was changed to female so that now Harry Baily was saved by his big sister Mary (played by Marlo Thomas). Later in the film Mary weds George Hatch (played by Wayne "Trapper John" Rogers! If this isn't ridiculous enough Clarence has been replaced with a guardian Angel named Clara Oddbody played by Cloris Leachman. Oh the horror! You can read about here, if you dare!
http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0076213/
PBG

GraveRobberGreg

Familiar Face
I do like Jim Carey but think Tom Hanks would be better for the part. I would leave the rest as they are and would stand in line for my ticket. I would have to agree that the cost with all those stars would up there. But then again if your going to make a great movie you have to spend the money.

Julius Xavier

One of the Regulars

Okay a little beef I see with my selection of Jim Carrey. I don't know why he doesn't get the respect he deserves. As far as acting the part watch him in The Majestic and see how much he's like George Bailey.

-DocIndyJones

Vanessa

One Too Many
I love Carrey. . .I think that when he's controlled by a movie/director, he's outstanding.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Last night, I saw IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE for the thousandth time. I loved it, as usual; but being in a tongue-in-cheek mood, I came up with some unorthodox observations:

-- The big winner in the film is the evil old Mr. Potter. He has 8,000 bucks literally dropped into his lap, and he never has to give it back. You might as well change the film's title to MR. POTTER'S LUCKY CHRISTMAS. :confused:

-- Why does Mary Bailey roast three whole chickens in the fireplace on her wedding night? What could the newlyweds possibly want with so much chicken? Is there something kinky going on here? :p

-- When (never-born) George Bailey looks for his housing development (which he built in the late 1930s), he instead finds a cemetery with his brother's grave in it (which dates to 1919). Assuming that the cemetery had existed at least since 1919, it means that George Bailey would have built his housing development over it! We've seen this plot before: it's called POLTERGEIST. :eek:

-- And as we all know, the worst fate that could befall a nice woman in a George Baileyless world would be to never marry, work in a library, wear a boxy, mannish flannel suit, need glasses, and have a strand of disheveled hair peeking out of an ugly hat. :cry:

-- Pottersville looks like a small-town Vegas. Not bad! There's even a dance hall with a sign saying "Jitterbuggers welcome." Clarence the angel should have fixed it like this: on the weekdays, the town could be Bedford Falls; on the weekends, it could convert to Pottersville. The best of both worlds! :p

Marc Chevalier said:
-- The big winner in the film is the evil old Mr. Potter. He has 8,000 bucks literally dropped into his lap, and he never has to give it back. You might as well change the film's title to MR. POTTER'S LUCKY CHRISTMAS. :confused:

They didn't show you the part of him roasting Hell after Clarence comes to get him though. :p

Marc Chevalier said:
--Why does Mary Bailey roast three whole chickens in the fireplace on her wedding night? What could the newlyweds possibly want with so much chicken? Is there something kinky going on here? :p

What's the matter with you? You mean you can't eat three chickens in one setting? :p

Marc Chevalier said:
--When (never-born) George Bailey looks for his housing development (which he built in the late 1930s), he instead finds a cemetery with his brother's grave in it (which dates to 1919). Assuming that the cemetery had existed at least since 1919, it means that George Bailey would have built his housing development over it! We've seen this plot before: it's called POLTERGEIST. :eek:

We call that urban renewal. ;) Just don't try to dig a swimming pool.
I really like how my city allowed developers to build on top of the old Trojan Explosives Factory down near the water. I wonder why they can't dig swimming pools either. :p
The place had been sitting there since the 40s after a huge explosion closed the place down. Try smoking that pipe in your backyard. :eek:

regards to all,

J

shamus

Suspended
Marc Chevalier said:
-- When (never-born) George Bailey looks for his housing development (which he built in the late 1930s), he instead finds a cemetery with his brother's grave in it (which dates to 1919). Assuming that the cemetery had existed at least since 1919, it means that George Bailey would have built his housing development over it! We've seen this plot before: it's called POLTERGEIST. :eek:

Maybe his brother was the only grave in it up to 1930's? Then since he didn't die, no one was burried there...

Unless ol' Doc Brown went back in time and saved them all from dying? Wait that's another film...

The Captain

One of the Regulars
DocIndyJones said:
Okay a little beef I see with my selection of Jim Carrey. I don't know why he doesn't get the respect he deserves. As far as acting the part watch him in The Majestic and see how much he's like George Bailey.

-DocIndyJones

As one who spent several weeks working on THE MAJESTIC and observing Jim Carrey - critically - I concur. He has the chops to be anyone he wants to be, play any type or character. His "fans" just won't give him the opportunity to be anything but a comic. Pity.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
shamus said:
Maybe his brother was the only grave in it up to 1930's? Then since he didn't die, no one was burried there...

Unless ol' Doc Brown went back in time and saved them all from dying? Wait that's another film...

It gets complicated! We've seen that film, too.

Incidentally, Bedford Falls' (only?) cop and the cab driver are named Bert and Ernie. Shades of SESAME STREET?

The Captain

One of the Regulars
Marc Chevalier said:
But you didn't comment on my "dykey old maid librarian" point! ;)

Now let me get this straight. It's OK to say "****", but I can't say "***?"
I may be a racist to your way of thinking, but you are a *********, ***********, ************, ********, right? Where's the PC Police when you need them?

Me? A "Dago" or "Wop" and proud of it!

The PC Police just cleaned up this post. Get back on topic, this issue was covered and deleted elsewhere on the Lounge.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner