Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Thorogood Moctoes modified/resoled...pics

JanSolo

Practically Family
Hello Gents,

here are a couple of pictures of my cherished Thorogood 6" Moc Toes. I like them much better than the ubiquitous Red Wing 8138/8131. They feature a true double stitched construction with reverse storm welt and padded and rolled top.

Recently I had new soles fitted but instead of opting for new Vibram Christy's (for the second time) I asked my trusted cobbler to grind the sole down by 8mm and fit thick natural rubber soles to the boots.
Here's the result. In keeping with the original specs the sole is not thicker than it should be. The added rubber sole adds a nice contrast to the sole assembly and is MUCH more wear resistant than the soft wedge sole.

6236720819_0096bd21e2_z.jpg

Note the classic crepe look:

6236723037_b32d8ea191_z.jpg

Slightly dove-tailed heel for better comfort:

6237248364_0676ae66c6_z.jpg

Neatly finished edges. The welt wasn't touched at all. Note the true double stitched construction:

6236727395_605fdb5a02_z.jpg

The resoling was expertly carried out by master shoemaker Marco Gräfe.

nissle

New in Town
I had my eyes on these boots for a year now. After seeing your thread, i have to pull the trigger on these.
I was hoping if you can help me on the sizing? Im a size 9 in red wings iron ranger/beckman, should i order the same size in thorogood? i heard they run big?
BTW, your clobber did an excellent craftsmanship on the soles.

Thanks

Tadite

Familiar Face
Great boots. I picked up a pair of Thorogood Roofers and I'm very impressed at the quality. I think they're better then Red Wings, Chippewa, or Wolverines.

Nissle: In my opinion the moc toes are roughly at true to size. They have a good deal of flexibility as they have a removable insole. With a bit of playing around with lacing styles and insoles my normal 10.5D was fine. Keep in mind I'm in New England so I've a tendency to wear socks with some additional cushioning (smartwool light cushion). The Roofers are narrow, I think, and I had to move up the 10.5ee. I could have gotten away with it using thin dress socks however but I find those a bit tough on the feet when running around in boots.

JanSolo

Practically Family
Nissle, welcome to the forum! I very much agree with what Tadite said about sizing. If you take a 9 in RW Beckmans or Iron Rangers I would recommend size 9 or 9.5 in the Moctoes. The removable insole is a quite thick and padded one which would also be suitable for running shoes as they have some gel in them. By taking them out and replacing them with flat leather soles you will likely gain a lot of extra space.

Thorogoods are amazingly cheap in America and if I were you I wouldn't hesitate a second to order them from Bakershoe.com or similar places.

Good luck!

nissle

New in Town
Jansolo & Tadite, thanks for the tip on the sizing. I went ahead with a size 9 and if its too snug, i'll just play around with different inner soles.

Jansolo, i found bakershoe.com with discount promotion to be the cheapest online. Thanks for the link.

Thanks
Nis

Atterbury Dodd

One Too Many
Nice Thorogoods. They don't get as much fanfare as Red Wings but I like them. Nice resole, I wonder what a pair would look like with typical heals?

58panheadfan

One Too Many
Inspired by Jan's Thorogood's I got my 7-1/2 yrs old RW's 875 resoled with a VIBRAM 1276 Sierra Unit Rubber Full Sole. For my taste much more usable (especially in upcoming winter season) than standard wedge sole... Jan, thank you for your input!

PICT0001.jpg

PICT0003.jpg

PICT0002.jpg

PICT0004.jpg

Last edited:

JanSolo

Practically Family
Great result! The Sierra sole goes well with the remaining Christy wedge. I like the contrast between the new sole unit and the well worn uppers. The boot looks quite comfortable as well!

BTW: I can tell that you wear a lot of dry denim with your Red Wings...

58panheadfan

One Too Many
Great result! The Sierra sole goes well with the remaining Christy wedge. I like the contrast between the new sole unit and the well worn uppers. The boot looks quite comfortable as well!

BTW: I can tell that you wear a lot of dry denim with your Red Wings...

Thx Jan, good eye too... a lot of indigo stain here. Also my 875 are one of most comfortable boots I ever had.

clarinetplayer

Familiar Face
How does the sizing of a Thorogood moc toe compare to the sizing of a Wolverine 1000? I wear a 9 in the Wolverine. Thanks, in advance, for any advice.

too much coffee

Practically Family
Hi Jan;

I was just surfing around old threads and came upon your Thorogood resoling job. Brilliant idea for the modification resulting in a super clean looking sole that is also more resiliant to wear .

I commend your individualistic thinking and whatever you're paying your cobbler Marco; give him a raise for he deserves it!

I'm getting a pair of the 8 inch Thorogoods once I recover financially from the Wolverines and the IRs! Great boot.

Regards,
coffee

too much coffee

Practically Family
Hi 58panheadfan;

Bitchin' Wings my man. Great idea you had with the Vibram 1276 Sierras replacing the wedge. I had the same soles on my Danner Desert Acadias in the sandbox and they performed magnificently.

How did the soles perform on snow/ice this past winter?

I really like the looks of your boots. Good job.

Regards,
coffee

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner