Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Those forgotten actor/actresses..

Feraud

Bartender
Tomasso said:
I've actually considered doing a pictorial on him as he was quite the well dressed dude, even while saddled with a somewhat chunky physique.
That would be an interesting pictorial. A nice break from the never ending Cary Grant/Fred Astaire photos. :)

Carlisle Blues

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Feraud said:
That would be an interesting pictorial. A nice break from the never ending Cary Grant/Fred Astaire photos. :)

:arated:

This thread is a great starting point to concentrate of those who were the backbone of the motion picture industry and not just the stars. Excellent idea Feraud :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
I want to put in a word for the guy everybody knows, but they don't know they know: Regis Toomey.

Regis+Toomey.jpg
Matinee idol, 1932
3963561415_8c50b59f31.jpg
In Guys and Dolls, 1955

"I'd rather be a supporting actor than a star. Supporting actors last longer."

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
I was going to mention Warren William and Lee Tracy, but was beaten to it. I like both very much.

Kay Francis is another fave of mine.

Carlisle Blues

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Larry Parks

A particularly sad story: At the age 31 his performance in The Jolson Story (1946) earned him a "Best Actor" Academy Award nomination. The real Jolson was tapped to provide the singing.
Columbia kept him busy in elaborate productions until he appeared in the sequel, Jolson Sings Again (1949), which was another huge boxoffice hit. His co-star in the film, Barbara Hale, teamed with him again in the comedy feature Emergency Wedding.

In 1951 Larry Parks was summoned to appear before the House Un-American Activities Committee, under threat of being blacklisted in the movie industry. He did so , only to be blacklisted anyway. Larry Parks eventually gave up the names of his former colleagues and submitted to the HUAC. Following his admission before the committee, Columbia Pictures dropped him, and a romantic comedy he made for Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer was shelved for three years. Parks made only a few more films, but continued to eke out a living acting on the stage and doing occasional television programs. He last appeared, in a major role, in the John Huston film Freud the Secret Passion (1962).

0531_larry_parks.jpg
broken_by_the_blacklist_image-200.jpg

With Rita Hayworth

10074199_tml.jpg

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
What I think is interesting about Arliss (and Marie Dressler) is that they remained hugely popular stars so late in life -- they weren't just working in small roles; they played lead roles and were box-office draws.

Dressler had many career ups and downs, but she was a huge star in early talkies, winning the exhibitor's poll as the most popular actress for three consecutive years, despite being in her sixties (and looking arguably older than that).

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Lizzie, you'll enjoy this little known fact about Eugene Pallette:

"In 1937 when Germany was conquering Europe and rumors were flying about the eventual involvement of the United States, Pallette decided to build a retreat in one of the most remote areas in the country ‚ along the Imnaha River in Wallowa County, Oregon.

'It'll take a war or a revolution a long time to get up into Imnaha Canyon,' he was quoted as saying.

Pallette bought 3,500 acres 29 miles upriver from Imnaha, and built a fortress-like ranch, complete with its own sawmill, power plant, and 18-man bunkhouse. In a concrete storehouse he stockpiled huge quantities of supplies, including two tons of canned goods, 20 sacks of coffee, 125 smoked hams, 50 kegs of nails, for example. A cold storage plant was sunk in the ground, and a separate building held a steam canning plant for the produce from a vast garden.

Pallette controlled nearly 11 miles along both sides of the upper Imnaha, where he grazed a herd of registered Herefords. He paid his hired hands well, $60 a month and keep. He wanted complete privacy and received few visitors. Pallette traveled back and forth between Imnaha and Hollywood frequently.

In 1949 he started selling off parts of the ranch, evenly divided among several buyers. A big auction in 1951 though he maintained interests here until about 1951. Eugene Pallette died of cancer in 1954.

The Pallette Ranch, in reduced form, still exists along the upper Imnaha, as a cattle operation."

Dagwood

Practically Family
I am a big fan of Eric Blore. Here he is with Edward Everett Horton:

[YOUTUBE]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Y9fHz8fOIPQ&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Y9fHz8fOIPQ&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

NicknNora

A-List Customer
HadleyH said:
Those three I haven't forgotten yet! [huh]

I'm glad you haven't forgotten! :)

I haven't forgotten them or the other actors I listed but sadly a lot of people have forgotten them unless they are film buffs like us. The people I listed were most often cast as supporting actors not the star of the film which is why I think a lot of people either don't remember them or are totally unaware of their work. It's a real shame because they did really good work.

NicknNora

A-List Customer
Here are some photos of some of the actors I mentioned earlier in the thread.

Rondo Hatton

rondo.jpg

Guinn (Big Boy) Williamson, Victor Jory and Ward Bond. This photo also includes Ann Sheridan who also should be added to the list. Does anyone know the man on the far right?

Annex+-+Sheridan,+Ann+(Dodge+City)_01.jpg

Alan Hale

ahalex.jpg

Jane Darwell

imagen_jane_darwell_0102_0.jpg

Beulah Bondi

1771-13054.gif

While I was looking for some images of these actors I found this site. They have 9 pages of character actors with biographies and photos. Nice site. They have the actors listed in alphabetical order. You can click on their name and see the photo and biography. I just saw a bunch more that I need to add to my list.lol

LizzieMaine

Bartender
How about Carole Landis, a fine actress/comedienne who burned very brightly for a few years in the early and mid forties before personal problems caused her to take her own life in 1948. Had she gotten the breaks she could have easily been the next Carole Lombard.

carole%20landis%2001%20500.jpg

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elzbthy