Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Three piece suits

DocMustang

One of the Regulars
I don't mean to be rude, Mustang, but is the 'Doc' in your name actually indicative of your profession? If so, then you need to start mirroring other doctors and get yourself a waistcoat collection. I remember lots of movies where doctors took a patient's pulse with a pocketwatch. You should start doing that! It'll be a talking-point if nothing else.

Now that I come to think of it, my family physician is the only person I know who wears a three-piece suit on a regular basis. A sign of the times, perhaps?

Yes, I am a physician, when I finished med school in 2009, I was given an heirloom pocket watch as a gift. I have been looking for vests to give me an excuse to wear it.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
I have been looking for vests to give me an excuse to wear it.

There's always the option of wearing the watch in the breast pocket of your suit/sport jacket, attached to the lapel buttonhole.

guido.jpg

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
That's true, but it looks so much classier if you wear it with a waistcoat. Congratulations, Doc. If the lounge is struck by an outbreak of 1930s Polio, we'll give you a call. I find that vests (on their own) are more plentiful these days than actual suits with vests.

Woland

One of the Regulars
I am attempting to get enough waistcoats in my wardrobe to replicate that look. I really hate just wearing a shirt and tie under my white coat. The tie flops around (even with a tie bar). I already refrain from wearing a white shirt, as I feel I need some degree of color under the coat, having waistcoats brings more options, particularly if they are interesting waistcoats like double breasted or if they have lapels.

I also like the anachronism of taking a pulse with a pocket watch!

LOL! I understand where you are coming from.

I wholeheartedly agree with you.
Wearing a suit, without a waistcoat or a vest, is simply indecent... ;-)

I've bought a number of waistcoats to go with my tweed jackets, and I am forever in the market for three-piece suits.

This one keeps me warm at temperatures down to -10, -15 Celsius.

06022011002.jpg

06022011010.jpg

And this is one of my lighter suits.

Ravistailor005.jpg

Ravistailor002.jpg

A three-piece Magee, which Tuppence B. gave me for my 50th birthday.

P1015491-1.jpg

And finally; a nice fair-isle vest to complete the outfit.

Bogstad1C-1.jpg

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Hi Woland, the second and third suits look wonderful. That first one looks incredibly thick! I imagine that'd keep you warm and toasty if you decided to go for a leisurely stroll towards the North Pole!

LOL! I understand where you are coming from.

I wholeheartedly agree with you.
Wearing a suit, without a waistcoat or a vest, is simply indecent... ;-)

I've bought a number of waistcoats to go with my tweed jackets, and I am forever in the market for three-piece suits.

Gosh, Woland, you sound just like me! I learnt from my days at school (where our uniform was basically a two-piece suit) that if you don't have a waistcoat, the moment you take your jacket off, you freeze. And I don't like wearing sweaters or vest-pullovers. A waistcoat is essential. And it doesn't necessarily have to match. It just has to look nice with the suit that you're wearing.

DocMustang

One of the Regulars
There's always the option of wearing the watch in the breast pocket of your suit/sport jacket, attached to the lapel buttonhole.

I could except that my white coat normally (and properly) takes the place of my jacket. A better option would be a belt hook chain.

Oldsarge

One Too Many
I once had a MTM charcoal pin stripe 3-piece that I grew too fat for and gave away. Thirty pounds lighter, I deeply regret that decision and hope to have Richard Lim building me a proper light weight tweed 3 piece in the January/February time frame. And I'll need a olive fedora to go with it!

----

And I find that in SoCal, OTR 3-piece suits are very, very difficult to find. I'm going to blame it on our mild climate. Even the very lightest of true tweeds are only wearable around three months of the year, if that. The best one can do is use tweed pattern worsted 340 gram wool. Should anyone else be interested, try http://www.tweed-jacket.com/CLOTH PAGE/CLOTH GALLERY/index.htm

Last edited:

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
I've found it impossible to find a plain blue three piece suit that I like or that fits, so I gave in and placed an order for a MTM one on Monday. The shopkeeper was very helpful and is a vintage suit wearer so I have hopes that a 50s style suit shouldn't be too difficult to get right. His patterns had the option of a pleated belt back, so naturally I went for that option.

Oldsarge

One Too Many
A belted back on a plain blue suit? Interesting. It would go without saying on tweed or even white linen but a plain blue suit with a belted back is elegantly eccentric. Do post pictures when it's finished!

dustyjohnson10

New in Town
i am not sure. summers are too long these days and three wearing 3 piece suit in summers seems to be a bad idea. The only chance to wear this type of suits is to wear it in winters.

BowlofRice

New in Town
I've observed that in suit stores, three-piece is a bit more common than my personal favorite, double-breasted, which I hope gets back in style sometime soon.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24