Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

TIME OR MONEY

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I would like to pose a question to the memembers, in general, as follows:

IF GIVEN THE CHOICE, WOULD YOU TAKE TIME OFF YOUR JOB, OR AN INCREASE IN PAY?

I am taking a promotional examination this week coming up. It is very,very stressful. Despite doing well on past exams, the "system" to use this generic term, doesn't gurantee anything. You have to factor in timing, popularity, political issues, race, sex, and so on. Don't deny that, my friends. If you are honest, you know how the game is played.

So, for me personally, do I seek a higher managerial position with my company which will pay maybe 15 - 20 % more on a yearly basis, but requires a 25 -30 % increase in hours and days worked?

Currently, I am very comfortable in my earnings and my position with the company. However, I was raised to always seek higher office.

I have 4 days OFF every week, and work 7 miles from my home. Any new position would change to maybe a 40-60 hour work week with only two days off, and up to 40 miles to go to work.

SO, what is more important? Time off, or money?

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
I always consider my quality of life. Unless I love my job more than anything else, I would rather have the time to spend with my family and my hobbies if I am already earning enough to be comfortable. To me, the extra pay does not balance out with the time lost to working and commuting.

My answer: TIME

Brad Bowers

SHARPETOYS

Call Me a Cab
Quality

Kevin,
You know the answer already.Its time with your family and the things you love to do.

I made money my higher power and I finally realized I wasn't happy. When I changed my life I found I was far richer and had more than money could ever buy.

Time is like ocean front property, they aren't making anymore of it.

I found me and made friends once again with myself . Just do the next right thing!!
God Bless,

Roger

DBLIII

One of the Regulars
Please choose time.
I chose money and I still don't have "enough." Meanwhile, I am a total jerk to everybody because I have no time to be nice or even civil.... because all my time is spent beating people over money.
My friend had a heart attack and died about three weeks ago. He always said he'd have time when he retired. Didn't make it.
Hell, I just got a hat from Panamabob - glanced at it, thought there was something wrong with it, and was just nasty and rude to him (he wasn't in his replies, he was a true gentleman). Now, five days later, I finally have "time" to really look at the hat and see that I was too ignorant to ask Robert the right questions the first time around. So, a few minutes of time last week would have meant that instead of me being an insulting moron, I might have had the opportunity to make a new friend (Robert).
Don't let this happen. I don't have time to spend my money, and it wouldn't really matter, since it's all going to multiple places anyway -- so, I can't even find any money if I did have some time. I need to choose TIME before I lose my third wife instead of looking at how much money I make.
Please choose time.
Sorry to run on, but a subject that hits very close with me. Time. You can't make more of it.

SHARPETOYS

Call Me a Cab
Its called honesty

I'm for one am proud of you it takes a big man to admit and say in public they are sorry and made a mistake.

I can assure you that you just made one new friend and for what its worth its me!

Roger

Panamabob

Call Me a Cab
Time....family and friends will always mean more to me than anything.

Thanks DBLIII, In the words of James Taylor...Winter, spring, summer, or fall,
All you have to do is call.

ITG

Call Me a Cab
Andykev said:
Currently, I am very comfortable in my earnings and my position with the company. However, I was raised to always seek higher office.

I have 4 days OFF every week, and work 7 miles from my home. Any new position would change to maybe a 40-60 hour work week with only two days off, and up to 40 miles to go to work.
I think you have your answer there. We're born to live, not born to work like a mule so that we can't enjoy life. Are they forcing you to take this exam or is this something you've done voluntarily?

I know for me, I feel like all I do is work and am fortunate at this point in time that I don't have kids or a significant other because they'd be getting ignored (working 50+ hours) although getting married and having kids is something important to me. I know I wouldn't want to look back and regret having not spent enough time with them. One day when I do get married and have kids, I'll have to change jobs or at least go to work at a school that allows me to get home earlier in the evenings. I feel like all I do is live and breathe work and come home exhausted with more work to do (grading papers...oh what fun) and that in itself causes me more stress. That's not how I want to remember my life. So to sum up...go with TIME.

Nathan Flowers

Head Bartender
Staff member
I'd go with time. I actually took a huge (30%) cut in pay just so I could get into a better environment and have more time off. I don't regret it for a second.

gandydancer

Familiar Face
Well, being on the opposite end of things from most folks here, having plenty of time but no money to enjoy it (disabled), I can tell you that sucks.

However, it sounds like you already have the best of both worlds. In that case the only thing you really have to ask yourself is what happens if you stop climbing that success ladder? Some corporations have been known to dump people who do not seem hungry enough, others are happy as long as you are competent and reliable. You have to know which you are working for before you make that decision. However that does not mean you can not seem to be trying to without quite making it (grin).

The Zen way is the middle way. That means, work, leisure, money, family, etc. should be balanced. When it isn't, life is not good. When it is, life is good.

Don't you just love these yes/no/maybe answers?

Slicksuit

One of the Regulars
Wow, the answer to this question is dependant on many factors that are relative to each individual. Does taking such a new position help you attain particular life goals (ex: more money for retirement, paying off debts, paying off the mortgage early, etc). Would the new position be a spring-board to something new and exciting? Is the new position something that you can readily change your mind on, and have your old position back, or something similar?

Personally, I've got to side with the 'time is more important' camp. I would envy a position that made me comfortable, working 3 days a week. Quality of life is just as important as material wealth, in my opinion.

All the previous posters have made very good arguments. It comes down to looking inside yourself and answering the question considering your needs, wants, and values. You saying that you're comfortable implies that the status quo is fine for you now. Wanting to seek 'higher office' because you were 'raised' to do so ... is that a good enough argument? It makes sense to chase the carrot on the stick, so to speak, when one is young. Doing so increases one's value to the marketplace if it broadens responsibility. The question is, are you ready to step off that train of more? The trip's final destination could be the grave, if you allow it to.

I think that American society has fostered an unhealthy work ethic, in general (thanks to our Protestant work ethic). Over a third of all Americans haven't had a vacation in over a year. Compared to Europeans, Americans work 350 hours more per year, and 70 hours more than even the Japanese. I haven't had the time to do so myself (LOL), but maybe check out the book The Importance of Being Lazy: In Praise of Play, Leisure, and Vacation by Al Gini.

gobler

One of the Regulars
Time, Time Time, is what you make of it..

Well since I nearly killed myself climbing the ladder "80 hour weeks" go with time. I almost lost all the time I will ever have. If you are comfortable where you are then you have found the sweet spot. We are here to experience life, not to sit in a “cubicle� for a third or half the day. Just my thoughts.

Cheers,
Jeff

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
TIME is Everything

WOW. That is almost unanimous! No I am not being forced to take it. However, you look around and see those less experienced or junior in senority moving up, and there is that natural "stigma" if you become stationary in your field.

All your answers have helped relieve my stress. I shall take the exam, and then see what happens. More than 50% , more like 75% is out of the control of the candidate for the position.

I agree with everyone. Time is what we seem to waste the most.

There was a seminar given at one of these companies, and the first day, the presenter told the assembled executives to take a piece of paper and write out 10 or so of their most important goals. listing them in order merit.

The papers were collected.

Most answers included: promote, increase sales, get bonus, buy bigger house, get new car, earn more money, expand sales area, ..etc.

After lunch, the presenter posed the same question, but added this:

"Your doctor has just told you that you have incurable cancer, and the most you can expect is 6 months, maybe one year"

The lists now had: spend time with family, visit my old friends, take the kids on that trip, etc.

NOTHING to do with MONEY. Only to do with TIME, FAMILY, LOVE, FRIENDS.

Interesting/no?

That "Dirt Nap" is coming, you see. I have more years behind me now than ahead of me. Nothing in this life of a material nature matters. The same dirt covers the rich man as the poor.

Thanks for the reassurance.!! Now, I gotta go smell the roses, and watch that rain cloud float by, there are seven deer up the green hill behind us, and there is a rainbow.

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
Your hitting right in the gut Andy...
I almost feel your question is also directed at me, but then you know what i have chosen.
For those that don't, please allow me to introduce myself. I'm Art, the workaholic.) I have been self employed since 20 yrs old, have spent 38 yrs in the construction field, along the way my wife and I turned a hobby into a pretty big enterprise in the Vintage clothing field, as part of that I was invited into a corporate partnership 13 yrs ago that produces Vintage Clothing shows here on the west coast and in typical form took control of the company almost 3 yrs ago. Also as part of the vintage I started playing with hats to try to keep the store stocked in larger sizes and became enthralled with the whole artistic aspect of it. That was 15 years ago and today have Vintage Silhouettes Custom Crafted Hats, yes, if you are keeping score, thats 4 distinct businesses. Along the way I started, with other partners a company called "Slateways" to promote the use of slate from all over the world in domestic construction and oh, by the way am the webmaster of our Vintage website in my spare time.
How have I done it? I haven't a clue. But I DO know that although I have loved almost everything we have built, it hasn't made me closer to my family OR enriched my soul. Wait, in some sense it has because I go to sleep every night knowing I've done my best, but I long ago lost perspective on what was most important.
It took the deaths of both my Father and Stepmother in the last 15 months to wake me up.
As of one day after her death, at her request 3 days before her death, Janene and I are retiring, moving to a ranch ( to be built with my hands) in Oregon, selling off ALL assets with the exception of my hat shop, and plan to grow old riding horses, building fences, and watching sunsets together.

Me? I choose time...whatever is allowed

Biltmore Bob

Suspended
I have worked at home for my children's entire lives. ages 16, 9 and 7. They have never seen me "go to work" I own and operate a dog obedience training service. I offer private lessons at the dog owner's home. The lessons are for an hour at a time, so I do leave the house periodically. I also board and train at my place. It took a life threatening on the job injury as a Police Officer, for God to wake me up. I am truly blessed because I now make more money, have a nicer house, spend more time with my family, set my own hours, blah blah, yada yada, than I ever did working for the man. I am also careful to give God the glory.

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
One quick question Bob, what is a Police Officer for God? I applaud your decisions and your good sense. I am struggling right now with being thrilled with my past decisions for economic reasons and regret for having made them at the expense of my relationships.

Biltmore Bob

Suspended
I should have put a comma for pause between Police Officer and for God.

I was a Police Officer and was injured in the line of duty (3 times, all were life threatening) ,but for the grace of the Almighty Father my life was spared. I'm glad I was'nt playing baseball.

This really had a profound effect on me and made me start to prioritize my life. When it comes down to it, King Solomon was absolutely right when he said "All is vanity".

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner