Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tipping Your Hat

Twitch

My Mail is Forwarded Here
th_Tip-Hat.gif

J.T.Marcus

Call Me a Cab
I was wondering about tipping today, so I did a search and came up with this thread. My unanswered question is, "Do we tip our hats to the ladies these days, or not?" I tried it on my wife, today, and she broke out laughing! Any thoughts of your own to share?

DOUGLAS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
J.T.Marcus said:
"Do we tip our hats to the ladies these days, or not?"
Yes we do. Your wife may laugh but tip your hat to a woman a bit older and you will get a nice smile of acknowlegement.;) Does your wife laugh when hold a door open for her?

fatwoul

Practically Family
DOUGLAS said:
Yes we do. Your wife may laugh but tip your hat to a woman a bit older and you will get a nice smile of acknowlegement.;) Does your wife laugh when hold a door open for her?

I'm sure she doesn't, but people actually get in trouble for doing that over here (UK). Men have been taken to disciplinary hearings because they have made what we would consider chivalrous gestures to a woman who considers the idea to be sexist and obsolete.

As a rule I hold a door for anybody following or passing me through it, regardless of gender. I just consider it to be a good manners thing (not to mention a sensible conservation of energy - it's easier to hold a door open than for it to close and be re-opened), rather than one of those things men are supposed to do for women. At least that way, if I am ever accused of sexism, there will be plenty of men around who can say I held the door for them too. Similarly, in this absurd world of OTT political correctness, I suspect a man could get into trouble for tipping his hat to a woman.

Incidentally, there are a couple of instances where I may refrain from holding a door for someone:

1) if it is a fire door. That's simply because those are closed for a good reason, and shouldn't be open any longer than necessary. I'll make an exception for someone with a movement disability, but not simply based on gender.

2) Lobby doors in apartment buildings. If they are locked, and someone has to buzz you in, I feel it's not my place to hold the door to let someone else follow me - I wouldn't like it if someone let a stranger past security where I live. They need to get buzzed in by the person they are visiting, or use their key. I'll hold the door for someone who is leaving, though.

Edward

Bartender
Miss Brill said:
Tipping is insignificant, but I HATE when men leave their hats on indoors. It just makes people assume you are balding & insecure about it. :rolleyes:

Reminds me of Jack "The Hat" McVitie - and you know what happened to him. ;)

Tango Yankee said:
I like that, Rafter! :D

Without digging out a bunch of references, I think you'll find that tipping the hat is related to the military salute, which traditionally goes back to knights raising their visors when meeting each other--the act allowed the other knight to see the face, and in raising one's empty weapon hand demonstrated good will.

Cheers,
Tom

Yes, it demonstrates that you will not attack the other party.... I think shaking hands with the right comes from that too. The Scout handshake - with the left - was based on a dsifferent consideration - it's a trust thing, as it involved (theoretically) laying down your shield and trusting the other guy not to attack you.

I would tip my hat, and do. Typically I would make an effrot usually to remove it when I greet a lady I know, and the hat normally comes off as I walk thorugh a door. :)

Dutch McCoy

One of the Regulars
Yes, my hat also comes off as soon as I enter an eating establishment, house of worship or someone else's home. Stores or other places like that, it stays on. I am sure there are others where it comes off but I can not think of any right now.

Regarding tipping, I usually do not just because I am so new to wearing a real hat that I often forget. However, I am getting better about it and do whenever I remember. Usually I tip to the ladies and just smile and nod to the fellas.

Mangrove

One of the Regulars
Tipping a field cap by "Old Sarge". From his book "How to get along in the army".
I'll admit that a graceful job of headgear-lifting with a field cap takes a lot of doing; because of that some men solve the problem by saluting. Lifting the old campaign hat with a classic flourish wasn't exactly easy either—especially if the chin-strap was in use. But it was done by the old-timers. It is possible to lift the field-cap without being comic. Here's how. Grasp the front at the top between the thumb and first and second fingers. Slide it about half-way back on your head without breaking contact with your head. Bow your head slightly in the direction of your acquaintance. Replace the cap in its proper position and straighten it with a slight pat as you pass on. There's a neat social gesture.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24