Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Titanic to Be Re-Released in 3D for 100th Anniversary

Coming soon to a theater near you: A movie you saw on the big screen seven times in 1997.

In honor of the 100th anniversary of the Titanic's doomed maiden voyage, Paramount Pictures and Twentieth Century Fox are re-releasing James Cameron's 1997 Oscar winner 'Titanic' on April 6, 2012. But that's not all! This time around, when Leonardo DiCaprio and Kate Winslet set sail, they'll be in 3D.

In a statement, Cameron said, "There's a whole generation that's never seen 'Titanic' as it was meant to be seen, on the big screen. And this will be 'Titanic' as you've never seen it before, digitally re-mastered at 4K and painstakingly converted to 3D. With the emotional power intact and the images more powerful than ever, this will be an epic experience for fans and newcomers alike."

Paramount will also be celebrating its 100th anniversary in 2012. "Paramount has had the pleasure of introducing audiences to some of the all-time classics of cinema during that century of moviemaking and we cannot think of a better way to mark the occasion than with this re-release of 'Titanic'," Brad Grey, chairman and CEO of Paramount Pictures, said.

'Titanic' is the second highest-grossing film of all time. The film pulled in over $600 million in the U.S. and $1.2 billion overseas. Only 'Avatar,' also directed by Cameron, has earned more money in theaters, grossing $750 million domestically for a combined worldwide gross of nearly $2.8 billion.

http://www.popeater.com/2011/05/19/titanic-re-released-3d-100th-anniversary/

"What do you think of it so far?"
"Rubbish!"
-- Morecambe & Wise

Last edited:

rue

I wonder if he'll add some of the scenes that were cut out, due to the movie already being too long. He promised he would do it when it was rereleased. I'm guessing the answer is no :rolleyes:

3D.... ugh.

Last edited:

m0nk

One Too Many
This isn't the only one that will be re-released in 3D this year. Star Wars Episode I will be hitting theaters sometime this year in 3D as well. Personally, though I did enjoy both movies, and I did see them both in the theater during their first run, I can't say I'll be going back to the theater for either... and especially not in 3D.

Atomic Age

Practically Family
3D is dieing a slow death. Films are not not making as much money in 3d as they do in their flat versions. In fact I think its likely that by the time The Hobbit comes out, the 3D version will be an insignificant addition to its box office.

Doug

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner