Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

To actually EXPERIENCE the era....

Michaelson

One Too Many
It's one thing to collect and emulate the era, but to actually experience what was a daily event is truly something. This morning I got up to a 6 above zero temperature. I walked out to my 1950 Plymouth, and the fun began. The slow grunt of the original 6v system was unnerving, but it coughed, then started. It vibrated for a while as the cold 30W motor oil was pushed to to the top of the engine, the choke pulled to mid setting to allow enough gas to keep the ice cold carb fed. I waited inside the cab, watching my breath freeze on the inside of the flat windshield glass, and remembered WHY the Pendleton 100% wool jacket I was wearing was originally called a 'car coat', as it goes just below my waist, keeping my backside warm on a rock hard, ice cold bench seat, but without bunching around my knees for ease of movement to push in clutch and brake. The jacket was a gift from my brother-in-law over a year ago, and had seen little to no wear to date. It will now enjoy daily wear as long as we have cold weather like this, as Pendleton has made this type of jacket for car wear since the 1920s with no change in the design. I now know (and remember) why, as it's a design made specifically for this type situation.
The engine finally smooths out, though the temperature gauge shows just a bit of movement, and I put the car in reverse and back out of my yard. It's a bit sluggish, but it moves out with purpose. I reach down and twist the defroster knob and the 'outside air' knob that turns on the heater fan at the front of the car, where the heater is located on these old MOPAR's. I had forgotten that the door that closes off the duct from the heater to the cab firewall has a thermostat that will only open when it 'feels' enough heat being generated by the heater. Of course, on a day like today, that never really happens, so the only real heat I feel is coming from the defroster. It's not unbearable, but it's sure not warm. After driving for about 2 or 3 miles, the temperature gauge is almost to normal setting, and my oil pressure is finally showing normal range (it was high due to the cold oil earlier. A real test of the oil pump as to it's health), and I find myself enjoying this chilly but fine drive.

I arrive at work in good order, and can remember similar experiences from a long distant past when I was growing up in the late 50's and early 60's when my DAD was driving these old monsters, and remember why we were so bundled up when for out winter drives. It's not unlike a sleigh ride.....you just don't get the wind in your face!;)

I'm sure I've joggled a few members memories of rides like this in THEIR past. It's a truly satisfying experience to drive these old cars, even in 6 degree above zero weather (as long as they're running!:) )

Regards. Michaelson

Sergei

Gone Home
I caught "frostbite" just reading your story above. Man, I don't miss the cold winter mornings out East. I always remember being in a big state of fear of whether the car was going to start or not.

Yeah, that did bring back some childhood memories for myself. Thanks for sharing...

-s

havershaw

Practically Family
Michaelson...you are so lucky. Sort of.

I had my '64 VW bug for about a year before I moved away from Pittsburgh (to the fair more suitable climate of Arizona), and I can tell you, that winter was a tough one. 6V was not happy about the winter. I recall that I had an oil heater thingy which bolted to the bottom of the oil drain thingy. This thing looked like a gear and had a couple of metal prongs sticking out of it, connected to an electrical outlet. This then plugs into the wall to keep your oil nice and warm all night.

Envision, then, if you will, in a little apartment complex with outdoor parking, car after car piled high with snow. Every car looks the same...except for mine, which has a big orange extension cord running out from under it, across the sidewalk and the front walk, and under my front door. I was the only person whose car started up on the first try!

Of course, then they used some kind of electric snow shoveler thing to clear the sidewalks, and my extension cord got skinned...that was the end of that and the negining of a beautiful string of excuses to not go to work (or at the very least, show up three or four hours late).

It should be mentioned, however, that while my car is still a venerable 6 volts, I traveled back to Pittsburgh in this very same car, in the dead of winter, and even though we were hit with record low temperatures while I was there, I never had a problem starting my car...guess that's the car's way of thanking me for moving it to AZ.

Michaelson

One Too Many
Your VW bug was an EXCELLENT example of the type heating system I have in my Plymouth. It was the only car that kept the old thermostat in the door of the duct until the car warmed up. not the best system, but kept you from freezing your feet to the floor. (grins) Regards. Michaelson
p.s. Oh yes, they still offer those oil warmers through J.C. Whitney, and I've wondered about ordering one for this car, but thought I'd see how she did WITHOUT one first. So far, I'm satisfied without it, as here in Tennessee, though we have cold mornings, these 'just about zero' types are not the norm. If I still lived up in Ohio, you can bet your bottom dollar if I drove this car everyday, I'd definitely have one under MY hood overnight. (but then, I doubt this car would exist up North as an everyday driver due to the amount of salt they dump on the roads! :eek: )

Michaelson

One Too Many
That's the way it USED to be in the Plymouth before we fixed the manifold gasket. Oh, sorry, you were talking about the weather! ;) Keep warm, Renderking! Regards. Michaelson

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
OK GUYS

When I was 16 (almost 30 years ago!) I took off from the Napa Airport in my Cessna 150 (1968 model)....one cold January morning..

The Continental 100 HP engine did all it could to provide the necessary heat thru some ill conceived ducts...

Needless to say..I was cold. As I climbed up thru 3500 feet the freezing level became ever so close..It was all I could do to fly the plane and not shiver ..

Thank God I had on my leather A-2 flight jacket...It kept me somewhat warm as I augered on into the chilly air!

Those air cooled aircraft engines seem to love the cold air...the prop bites harder into the dense air molecules...and the wings seem to sail on the cold winds..

But there seems to be nothing to help the frigid pilot...

Some day I will tell you about my open cocpit days with my Sterman flights!

Michaelson

One Too Many
I get to hear those tales quite often here at the U.T. Space Institute where I work, as I videotape the Aviation Systems department classes, and a couple of our instructors are old test pilots. We also have the National Staggerwing Museum located at the Tullahoma Airport, so there's a LOT of open cockpit and vintage aircraft swooping around our skies most weekends year round. Regards. Michaelson

farnham54

A-List Customer
The past 4 years I've worked at a fishing camp in Northwestern Ontario, with 7 outpost cabins about 50 miles from anywhere--even each other.

Some cooler summer mornings when the thermostat was just tickling 10 Celsius the camps little Cessna 180 would hop into the air with myself, our Pilot, and one other worker as if it had a Rotor instead of Wings.

But on those dead calm days, when the sun baked the landscape to 30 plus degrees, and the humidity made the air feel like pea soup...well it was on those days I ate a light lunch, as the little 180 with 3 guys and gear (usually chainsaws, whipper snippers) certainly loved hugging that water as long as possible.

My father still drives a 1982 Caddillac. Burgoum d'Elegance, or something like that. I've got an 86 Caddy Fleetwood sitting in my driveway at home. Our other addition to the fleet is a 1985 Jeep Grand Wagoneer. Those are all drivers, and in minus 30 it is COLD for the first 30 minutes or so--especially the hard leather seats of the Jeep. I think I need one of those 'Car Coats', Michaelson!

We've also got a few Triumph Stags that are awaiting restoration--but you can bet those will be covered and kept parked when the salt hits the roads.

Regards,

Craig

Michaelson

One Too Many
In honor of our mutual friend, AndyKev, I wore my FS A-2 civilian flight jacket on my daily drive in, 23 degrees this morning, by the way, and it worked perfectly! High regards. Michaelson;)

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Why thanks

The FS A-2 Civillian...I got it on the recommendation of my twin brother as he collects WWII uniforms. He is the master. I also read and read and read posts at COW and other places.....you can surly tell who knows what they are talking about. And the man from Tennessee expoused wisdom....so I made a great choice. When the box arrived (it looked real small BTW) I opened and glowed....

So I say my coat is zipped and my hat is off to you!:cool:

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
Every time I start my Falcon these days I think about this post. You don’t find too many discussions about running the heater on a vintage car!

She starts right up, thankfully, but never really gets warm. I just switched to a 195 degree thermostat (from 160!, brr), so now the gauge actually registers, but as soon as the car starts moving, it drops to nearly the minimum position and stays there for the duration. I have moved past the car coat stage, and am now firmly into red union suit territory. I have contemplated a B-3 (I’m certain an A-2 wouldn’t cut it), but reached the conclusion that it would be more cost-effective to put a V8 engine in.

My dad, who was a service manager for Ford in the ‘70s, says Fords were notorious for being over cooled and has suggested I block off part of my radiator for the winter. I can see now why “winterfront” grilles were so popular in the 1930s. Some of the better models were even thermostatically controlled.

-Dave

David Conwill said:
She starts right up, thankfully, but never really gets warm. I just switched to a 195 degree thermostat (from 160!, brr), so now the gauge actually registers, but as soon as the car starts moving, it drops to nearly the minimum position and stays there for the duration.

Really? I have the exact opposite problem with the 66 Mustang and it's a vert. Even with a three-core radiator I have to keep a 165 thermostat in there because with a 185 will run to about 3/4 hot in heavy traffic. Yesterday, it was in the 30s/40s here and I had to shut the heat off after about five minutes. Could be the difference in engine, I suppose. I have an 8 cyl and I'm going to presume the Falc is 6?

Regards,

Jack

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
It could be an eight versus six thing. It could also be an airflow thing. The small, stylish grille on the Mustang could impede airflow to the point that the sportier car runs hotter.

-Dave

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Not so sure what this thread has to do with General Attire and Acouterments, but what they hay. Oh, I get it. A TIRE.
Anyway, these stories bring back fond (NOT!) memories of my family's first car back in 1956. It was a '51 Chevy, and we lived in the snow belt of western New York. Some chilly rides!

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
Ostensibly, I think we're discussing car coats and other driving apparel. To be honest, unless I'm the OP, I never pay much attention to what "room" a thread is in. I find most of them by searches and under the "new posts" button.

I enjoyed the pun, however.

-Dave

Senator Jack said:
Really? I have the exact opposite problem with the 66 Mustang and it's a vert. Even with a three-core radiator I have to keep a 165 thermostat in there because with a 185 will run to about 3/4 hot in heavy traffic. Yesterday, it was in the 30s/40s here and I had to shut the heat off after about five minutes. Could be the difference in engine, I suppose. I have an 8 cyl and I'm going to presume the Falc is 6?

Regards,

Jack

In all of the Mustangs of that era that I have come across( my uncle had one, best friend in High school etc.) they all had problems with overheating. What you are doing is what they did in their cars to keep them running cooler.

I should also mention that I go through the same thing every morning when I start up the old 1957 GMC truck ---without a defroster or heater. :eek: However it doesn't get as cold as it does in Tenn. here. Lowest I have experienced was about 29 degrees. It can get cold so you certainly do dress for the weather. ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo