Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

To bi-swing back or not to bi-swing back?

Sir Jacket

Practically Family
What do folks think of the so-called action or bi-swing back on certain of Aero's models, eg the Teamster? I have reservations about them from the style point of view -- I prefer simplicity and clean lines -- but am beginning to wonder whether you need them with a longer jacket, given the weight and stiffness of the horsehide.

Thoughts and pics welcome.

SJ

schitzo

Suspended
In my experience it's not necessary for a longer jacket to be comfortable. But I am beginning to wonder if it'd be a good idea for a shorter trimmer fitting jacket. My thoughts at this stage are yes it probably would

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Unless you ride or plan to defend yourself on a regular basis then the "action back" is probably not very usefull. It adds complexity and weight to all jackets that use it. I've a LHB a 50's HB and an Indy all with that kind of back. I sometimes wish they didn't have them as they can be uncomfortable when driving and can "poof" out if the straps aren't adjusted right.

Worf

pauleway

Practically Family
Bi-Swing Back

I've always been a big fan of the Bi-Swing back. Especially for big back and shoulder guys. It gives you a little more room for movement, and I also think it looks good. I do agree about the problem with the bat-wing effect though, but my Aero HB does not have that problem. If the jacket is constucted right that should not happen. One vote for Bi-Swings!

I'll go against the grain here. I think it depends on the hide and model/design. For heavy hide like the FQHH, it does add weight and bulk. For a trimmer jacket like an M-422 or Civi Ventura, not a problem, and in fact makes it better as the design can fit trimmer, while letting one move. I will have pics of the new Ventura when I get it. It was like the AB wasn't even there. But to each his/her own. On my Aero 50's HBD, it does add a lot of both weight and bulk, but it's for winter only and not too bad. I couldn't wear a G-1 without the AB design. Well, not unless I wanted an 80's mall jacket, USA cut - which I don't.

nick123

I'll Lock Up
I personally don't care for them. And I've really tried to like them with G-1s, M-422s, etc. But I much prefer the cleaner back, though they are functional. I've seen some jackets with the 1/2 action-back or whatnot, where the bi-swing back is only a little more than the height of the shoulders. A much better look. But if you are a bigger guy, I think the action backs "blend in" better. If you're skinny like myself, it seems as if the action back is too noticeable. Some guys can pull it off. I can't.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Personally, I like the look of it, though I appreciate it adds weight etc. There's something slightly 'Deco' about the construction of the bi-swing which appeals to me.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
In my experience it's not necessary for a longer jacket to be comfortable.
In my experience it's necessary for every jacket to be comfortable. Swingback or no. ;)

Seriously tho, I find that a swingback isn't strictly necessary as long as there's a decent width to the back panel between the armholes.

Another option, not often seen by itself, is the back-of-arm gusset. Usually, they're under the arms in Navy-style jackets that have swingbacks. But if installed at the back, they can give some free movement without the slack that a full swingback tends to show when at rest.

As it was in tailored clothes, the swingback was a product of a time when material was more costly than labor. It allowed a maker to use smaller pieces of goods, but it took a lot more skill to build than just piecing a coat together out of squares. It's now used only when it has an obvious function - ie, in a garment you're going to bend and reach in.

Last edited:

Foster

One of the Regulars
I like the look of it in cloth, not sure what I will think in leather although when I get my B-6 jacket I will know. If the jacket is slim fitting, then the bi swing back helps function as well as styling, in my opinion.

Dr H

Call Me a Cab
It works well on my Gordon & Ferguson M-422A - extremely comfortable.
Although strictly speaking, I prefer the cleaner lines of my Type A-1 and Menlo Cossack, despite the likelihood of the sleeves binding in some situations.

Aerojoe

Practically Family
What do folks think of the so-called action or bi-swing back on certain of Aero's models, eg the Teamster?

If you have a very athletic build and you don't fit anymore in some jackets like the A-2, the big swing back solves all your problems. You could get a m422 instead.

Besides, it depends on the style of that particular jacket you like. Bi-swinging some jackets is a big no.

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
No one has mentioned this and I am not an expert, but! The US Navy jackets I have owned, various G1s and a couple of M422As have had two elastic straps across the back inside the lining. These straps tend to pull the bi-swing back into shape, where as a cheaper non military jacket with the same feature did not have the elastic giving a different 'relaxed' shape.
Many US bike jacket designs have this feature but if they have the elastic I dont know. The only British jacket design I know of is the Lewis Leathers Bronx jacket, but that did not have the elastic either.
J

Dr H

Call Me a Cab
Yes, there's a world of difference between the construction of a true biswing ('action') back and a simple jacket with gussets.

Brando11

A-List Customer
I'm a big fan of the bi-swing back. I have both a Schott 184SML and Aero HB Deluxe with them. Love the vintage vibe.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran