Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

To bi-swing back or not to bi-swing back?

Rich22

Practically Family
I'm currently looking on buying my first leather jacket, and in my mid 30s I think this is more than overdue. Cafe racers look to me the best bet, and Aero seem like a really great company.

I don't particularly like the look of bi-swing backs, from a side view anyway, and prefer the cleaner look of a simpler back. I do however have a very broad back, which has created problems for jackets for me for years. I'm quite a big guy at 6'1, 230lbs, but have a v shape thanks to an adulthood of sport and weights. Is a jacket likely to suit me better with the bi-swing back, or am I better off explaining my dimensions to Aero and asking them to fit accordingly? Can they even do this? I thought I'd throw this out here before I contact them, as I also have to decide on little things like the choice of leather!! Many thanks

I'm currently looking on buying my first leather jacket, and in my mid 30s I think this is more than overdue. Cafe racers look to me the best bet, and Aero seem like a really great company.

I don't particularly like the look of bi-swing backs, from a side view anyway, and prefer the cleaner look of a simpler back. I do however have a very broad back, which has created problems for jackets for me for years. I'm quite a big guy at 6'1, 230lbs, but have a v shape thanks to an adulthood of sport and weights. Is a jacket likely to suit me better with the bi-swing back, or am I better off explaining my dimensions to Aero and asking them to fit accordingly? Can they even do this? I thought I'd throw this out here before I contact them, as I also have to decide on little things like the choice of leather!! Many thanks

Hi!

If it's Aero you're after, you might be in luck - From the sound of it, their Cafe Racer ought to be perfect for you. It's just the kind of jacket that's got plenty of shoulder & back/chest room, regardless of the shoulder gussets. Quite V shaped. And gussets don't do a whole lot anyway so you could just ask them to make you a jacket with a clean back.

As for the size, best you let them sort that out.

Rich22

Practically Family
Hi!

If it's Aero you're after, you might be in luck - From the sound of it, their Cafe Racer ought to be perfect for you. It's just the kind of jacket that's got plenty of shoulder & back/chest room, regardless of the shoulder gussets. Quite V shaped. And gussets don't do a whole lot anyway so you could just ask them to make you a jacket with a clean back.

As for the size, best you let them sort that out.

Thanks for the reply. The V shape is one of the reasons I like the Cafe Racer jackets so much! I'll drop Aero an email today to see what they have to say. Just torn between the fabulous looking FQHH chromexcel versions, or the more sensible and pliable lightweight leathers.

By the way, am I alone in finding the fronts of many leather jackets attractive, but the backs quite ugly? Bi-swing or not

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply. The V shape is one of the reasons I like the Cafe Racer jackets so much! I'll drop Aero an email today to see what they have to say. Just torn between the fabulous looking FQHH chromexcel versions, or the more sensible and pliable lightweight leathers.

By the way, am I alone in finding the fronts of many leather jackets attractive, but the backs quite ugly? Bi-wing or not

You've got plenty of options for the back, too. The yoke, back seam or some more intricate stuff, like on that black CR with the stripes. Can't find the thread with that jacket... It's awesome, though. Anyway, maybe they can do back like on the Sunburst or something? Worth asking. :)

Rich22

Practically Family
You've got plenty of options for the back, too. The yoke, back seam or some more intricate stuff, like on that black CR with the stripes. Can't find the thread with that jacket... It's awesome, though. Anyway, maybe they can do back like on the Sunburst or something? Worth asking. :)
Do Aero allow stylistic changes still? I thought they'd got burnt by that and stopped. I like a back like the Speedway for example, and don't much like the Sunburst. Haha. The reason why I'm not keen on the back of the Cafe Racer by Aero is combo of the bi-swing, the lack of yoke and the kidney protector or whatever that bit at the bottom is. Doesn't look as dressy as the front, and gives a more aggressive 1980s vibe

Rich22

Practically Family
What is the cummerbund/waistband panel at the bottom called? I'm thinking I might not be a fan. Here's an example of an extreme one:
vanson-back-jpg.237872

And here's an example of a nicer back in my mind, with no waistband but a high yoke instead:

Thediback_zpsa09f28c1.jpg.html

Damn, that didn't work... hmm, so imagine this back without the belt but still with the tightening fasteners on the sides (but of course a tad shorter):

WAY6.jpg

(Apologies for going off topic, but I didn't want to start a new thread just for this!)

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters