Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

To dye or not to dye

Blondie

Practically Family
Hey everyone,
I am having a dilema about whether or not to dye my
bleached blonde hair back to a strawberry blonde.
I am worried i will regret doing it but at the same time am kind of sick of the upkeep and think maybe it's time for a change !
Has anyone dyed their bleached hair then regretted it enough to get it
stripped back to blonde ?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated !!!!!!!

pdxvintagette

A-List Customer
A friend of mine in the RAB scene dyed her platinum locks to a cherry chocolate color, and hated it (everyone else thought it looked phenomenal.) She stripped it back to blonde and it just killed it - her hair has ALMOST reached the point where she can fingerwave it now. She had to cut most of it off.

Extreme, I'm sure ... but if you're going to do it, I'd say it is best to just plan on living with the consequences, good or bad! (Stripping is a desperate woman's option ;) )

Misty

New in Town
I have had my hair just about every color imaginable (within reason, never green etc lol) Every time I am platinum and go back to a darker color I always feel like it completely washes out my skin tone. And it is SO HARD to get red undertones out of my hair once they are there.
Why don't you try some low lights first. It will blend it all together. If you don't like it, its much easier to correct IMO.

Ada Veen

Practically Family
My hairdresser always warned me as a frequent dyer that red is the worst colour to get out- I'm not sure it can even be successfully stripped.

ShortClara

One Too Many
I keep having a desire to go back to blonde, but I know when I do it'll take months because I will not strip my hair. Such changes are always slow and difficult - like growing out a bad haircut. If your natural isn't strawberry blonde, Blondie, then I'll warn you the red upkeep is brutal.

Pink Dahlia

Call Me a Cab
My hair has been every color of the rainbow ( even pink as my name might suggest ;) ). It used to be platinum blonde. It is now all natural brown and I don't color it at all. My hair feels great, looks great and I don't have to spend money to keep it up.

I agree with PDX. Whatever you decide stick with it! I too have fallen victim to fried hair and had to cut it super short.

~*Red*~

Practically Family
Count me in as one of the ones who had to go super short because of messing with the color too much!! I'm back to close to my natural color (black) so I can keep growing my hair. When I'm ready for a short do, I'll mess with the color alot so there is sufficient reason to do so. lol

My hair is pretty tough and can take quite a beating.. more than 90% of people, but eventually, it gets to the point where it just has to be cut off. So think carefully about how your hair deals with chemicals and heat processes, and what the damage might be, not to mention the constant upkeep. I liked the prior suggestion of highlighting or lowlighting (if that is the case) to blend first.

Drea

New in Town
Blondie said:
Hey everyone,
I am having a dilema about whether or not to dye my
bleached blonde hair back to a strawberry blonde.
I am worried i will regret doing it but at the same time am kind of sick of the upkeep and think maybe it's time for a change !
Has anyone dyed their bleached hair then regretted it enough to get it
stripped back to blonde ?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated !!!!!!!

I always have my hair black then when I get it back to its natural brown color thinking I'm going to go a red head or blonde so that way I don't look as ghostly pale as I am I just dye it black again hahaha and tanning is a big no no for tattoos. I think strawberry blonde is very pretty- I say go for it! or even something a little deeper, I think aburn colors are so pretty and work really well. but anywho- I don't think it would be that damageing because it wouldn't take too much to get it from strawberry blonde to a bright blonde :) but ofcourse its good to wait a little while after you dye your hair so its not as much damage

SarahLouise

Practically Family
Ada Veen said:
My hairdresser always warned me as a frequent dyer that red is the worst colour to get out- I'm not sure it can even be successfully stripped.

Isn't black the worst colour to get rid of? I've spent a fortune on getting it out of my hair which includes a DIY job and 2 trips to the salon. All in all, it's been stripped 6 times, the ends have been bleached and it's been dyed 4 times (all previous attempts my hair just soaked the colour up and went nearly black again.) After that my hair felt like straw for about a week but now it's fine. I guess I'm lucky!

faloola

New in Town
Dye!

i think its different for everyone, my hairs thick an i think it has super strength! its been bleached so many times but is still in good condition. its black and blue at the mo but im bleaching the lot tonight to go all over pink again!
just go for it!
at the end of the day hair grows and its always nice to have a change!
im sure it'll look fab!
x

Nashoba

One Too Many
I went forever without coloring my hair, then kind of jumped in head first :). Went from my natural almost black, to ash, to blonde, and now it's red. I don't wash my hair every day so my red isn't fading as badly as some I've known but I love it and haven't regretted it at all. And for me at least, the red will be a far easier and cheaper upkeep than the blonde. My hair is a little dry on the ends but seems to be okay.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
SarahLouise said:
Isn't black the worst colour to get rid of?

Black and red are the worst offenders :)

I say dye it! Dying your hair is the easiest way to completely overhaul your appearance, and relatively easy to correct. Yes, constant bleaching can be really damaging to your hair, but you'll always find a way to work with it. It really depends on your hair too - I bleach my hair and have not had problems, as my hair is very strong and thick. I get some breakage, but not enough to concern me. Overall, I'm willing to deal with the damage in exchange for obtaining a look that I love.

Drea

New in Town
SarahLouise said:
Isn't black the worst colour to get rid of? I've spent a fortune on getting it out of my hair which includes a DIY job and 2 trips to the salon. All in all, it's been stripped 6 times, the ends have been bleached and it's been dyed 4 times (all previous attempts my hair just soaked the colour up and went nearly black again.) After that my hair felt like straw for about a week but now it's fine. I guess I'm lucky!

I've always heard red is the hardest color to maintain.. but black is for sure the hardest color to get out!! when I put the blonde in my hair I had to make three trips to the hair salon to get it that bright blonde.. glad my hair stylist is a good friend of mine and she hooks me up for free.. I tip her really good though ofcourse :)

Dani California

Familiar Face
I've been through bleached blonde to red to strawberry blonde to back again bleached. The one thing about red/strawberry blonde, is that it doesn't hold onto the bleached blonde very well. My hair looked orange for a bit until the pigment could hold onto the strands better...took several times going back every 2 months to finally have it look the way I wanted. I was getting my hair professionally done with top pigment colors and it was still not lasting in my hair. The up keep for the red/strawberry was not fun. I eventually went back to blonde, but it took a year to get it fully out. And now, I'm actually growing out my natural color because I just got so tired of the up keep. Not too mention, the red and blonde stripped my hair so it wasn't very healthy. It takes patience to do this, but I'm very happy that I'm growing out my naturally light/medium/strawberry hair.. My advice grow out your natural hair:)

Pink Dahlia

Call Me a Cab
SarahLouise said:

That's funny I had a permanent black in my hair that just washed out after time. [huh]

ShortClara

One Too Many
Question for the hairdressers!

I'm resuscitating this thread to ask a pertinent question. I mentioned above that I'm thinking blonde again, and I think I've decided to go for it. I need a change for the new year.

My hair stylist said that I can highlight myself gradually away from the red. I'm planning to switch to Pantene for shampooing as well, as it's so terrible to the color it'll help take it out ;)

Thing is, I do not want the red & blonde stripey look. So, can anyone explain to me how the highlighting from red to blonde works? Is it done to all the hair at once? My new growth will be blonde - will it be left as-is most likely?

EDIT to add: I mean to have this done at salon, FYI.

Thanks all!

ShortClara

One Too Many
I'm bumping this thread hoping to get knowledgeable peeps to respond to me :)

*hums to self, waits*

Girl Friday

Practically Family
What about trying a temporary color? The kind that fade after washing. That way if you get tired of the strawberry blond it'll just take a few weeks to get rid of, and less damaging to your hair.

ps. I like Mark Ryden too :)

Girl Friday

Practically Family
ShortClara said:
I'm bumping this thread hoping to get knowledgeable peeps to respond to me :)

*hums to self, waits*
Oops, sorry I was responding to the original thread...person...

I say go for it. You should maybe expect to get a couple of inches cut, the ends are usually more porous and will want to hang on to the old color.

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Sadly I am not all that knowledgeable...and I have a feeling they are all still christmas-ing...

but my thought would be that as long as the bits of blond are not -thick and chunky- sections...but rather fine and small...they will blend in with the darker color and lighten it visually without being stripy.

My mom did something similar to conceal her grey for a while...lots of blond highlights just made her hair lighter..not -grey-

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot