Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

To Enjoy Champagne, Treat It Like Beer

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
I was once told by a friend who knew about this sort of thing that the reason you see Champagne drunk from those wide topped glasses in old movies is that that's how the British upper crust used to drink it. And the reason for that was that they DIDN'T like the bubbles. The wide top makes the bubbles fizz away quicker, leaving a flatter drink.
Maybe this was so those old upper class sots could gulp the stuff down quicker without having a fizz bomb go off in their noses.
And the reason that a tall narrow flute glass is used by the French, and by Americans now, is that it preserves the bubbles.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Yeps said:
I have always seen it poured down the side of the glass.
Not in France you haven't. Or in any restaurant with properly trained waiters.

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
Tomasso said:
Not in France you haven't. Or in any restaurant with properly trained waiters.

It was explained to me the same way as the article (keeps the bubbles). Red wine, on the other hand, I have seen poured so that it is as aerated as possible.

Mav

A-List Customer
LocktownDog said:
Yes. Yes you should.
From an empty mayonaisse jar. Those ridiculous flutes and "saucers" don't hold enough- you have to keep getting up and pouring a fresh one.

HepKitty

One Too Many
Mav said:
From an empty mayonaisse jar. Those ridiculous flutes and "saucers" don't hold enough- you have to keep getting up and pouring a fresh one.

LOL I was going to say drink straight out of the bottle, like beer, but you win!

Mav

A-List Customer
HepKitty said:
LOL I was going to say drink straight out of the bottle, like beer, but you win!
I tried drinking champagne right out of the bottle once on a small commuter plane between Kalispel and Spokane during an extremely bumpy flight in a blizzard. Under those conditions, the carbonation is a hazard- I ruined my favorite tie. And the other three passengers, as well as the flight attendant, laughed at me.
Which is kind of what I was going for, actually.

Miss sofia

One Too Many
dhermann1 said:
I was once told by a friend who knew about this sort of thing that the reason you see Champagne drunk from those wide topped glasses in old movies is that that's how the British upper crust used to drink it. And the reason for that was that they DIDN'T like the bubbles. The wide top makes the bubbles fizz away quicker, leaving a flatter drink.
Maybe this was so those old upper class sots could gulp the stuff down quicker without having a fizz bomb go off in their noses.

Or they didn' get their big, aristocratic conks stuck in the top of the glass!

I like a bowl glass, makes for better guzzling as you said and also you don't get a mouthful of glass everytime you have a sip, or less of a mouthful of glass anyway IMO!

Smuterella

One Too Many
dhermann1 said:
And the reason that a tall narrow flute glass is used by the French, and by Americans now, is that it preserves the bubbles.

Ahem, and the Brits now.

I'm not keen on flutes, not because of the bubbles but because they are so damned narrow, they do hit you on the nose. Not that my nose is big or aristocratic in any way.

Also, they look a tad common I think, they remind me of weddings and Ladies Day at Ascot. I like a coupe much better, especially as the design was supposedly inspired by the shape of a perfect breast.

Puzzicato

One Too Many
Yeps said:
This is news? I have always seen it poured down the side of the glass.

I've seen it done the other way, but at home I always tilt the glass. I assumed that the waiters who pour a little, let it settle, pour a little, were just emphasising the ceremonial aspect of drinking champagne. Using the hoop-la to justify the mark-up on the bottle price.

Miss sofia

One Too Many
Smuterella said:
Ahem, and the Brits now.

I'm not keen on flutes, not because of the bubbles but because they are so damned narrow, they do hit you on the nose. Not that my nose is big or aristocratic in any way.

Also, they look a tad common I think, they remind me of weddings and Ladies Day at Ascot. I like a coupe much better, especially as the design was supposedly inspired by the shape of a perfect breast.

And the Brits again..

I believe it was Isadora Duncan's breast, (don't quote me, but i believe it was) which is as good a reason as any to want to drink out of one, rather than a flute. I have some lovely, thin, deco glasses which are much more glamourous to drink out of, you get minimum glass in your mouth, and i agree with Smuterella flutes are a tad common.

Puzzicato

One Too Many
Miss sofia said:
And the Brits again..

I believe it was Isadora Duncan's breast, (don't quote me, but i believe it was) which is as good a reason as any to want to drink out of one, rather than a flute. I have some lovely, thin, deco glasses which are much more glamourous to drink out of, you get minimum glass in your mouth, and i agree with Smuterella flutes are a tad common.

I heard Marie Antoinette.

And if you get my mum drunk enough, she will try to demonstrate that hers fit.

Ada Vice

One of the Regulars
Puzzicato said:
I heard Marie Antoinette.

And if you get my mum drunk enough, she will try to demonstrate that hers fit.

:D

I prefer a flute, if you drink it the way your meant to you won't hit your nose, tip your head back and let it pour it down your throat. lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner