Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

To love vintage or not to????

kyda

One of the Regulars
I was thinking about how I met my DH and at the time I was not that much into vintage, which beg me to wonder if you were into vintage and you were attracted to somebody that was not into vintage would you A: End the relationship and try and find somebody who was into vintage or would you B: stay with that person and hope that they accept you quirks and all???????? [huh] [huh] [huh]

ShoreRoadLady

Practically Family
kyda said:
I was thinking about how I met my DH and at the time I was not that much into vintage, which beg me to wonder if you were into vintage and you were attracted to somebody that was not into vintage would you A: End the relationship and try and find somebody who was into vintage or would you B: stay with that person and hope that they accept you quirks and all???????? [huh] [huh] [huh]

I think there's another thread here somewhere about that already. But short answer, I guess it would depend on the person. Either way, if I were in a relationship and they weren't accepting me and my "quirks" (and I don't think vintage is a "quirk"!) - I think it wouldn't be a good relationship to begin with!

Esme

One of the Regulars
My husband is not "into" vintage in the same way I am, but he certainly appreciates nice clothes, hats and fine craftsmanship. He does have a fondness for 40's styling, in particular, but I wouldn't drop him if he didn't.
Hobbies, etc don't have to be shared to be involved and kept up.

KittyVonKirsche

Familiar Face
My husband couldnt be less into vintage lol. He loves me so he accepts whatever Im interested in n vice versa.
I feel you love the person for who they are, not what they are or arent interested in.

sian kisses

One of the Regulars
boyfriend and i have been together 2yrs he is not remotely into vintage but loves that i am and encourages me to be happy whatever i do.
x

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
I've been with my husband for 5 years and he loves vintage, too. That's what drew us together -- a vintage community on Live Journal! He posted photos of Louise Brooks, Bettie Page, and himself and I was like "I'm marrying that dude!" He was in London and I in Philly. Didn't deter me!

But to answer the original question -- I'd very much prefer a mate with a vintage appreciation. I couldn't date someone clueless and unappreciative of the past. My husband is a history graduate, a WW2 reenactor, and dresses with a 40s/50s flare daily. It complements my love of the 20s and 30s perfectly.

Leili

New in Town
I can't see myself being with someone who isn't into vintage stuff. It's so important to me: the dancing, the music, the clothing, the whole attitude towards life.
I can't see the point with being together with someone I couldn't share what brings me most joy here in life.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Breeder board talk = Darling Husband. There's typically also one or more DSs or DDs.

scotrace said:
I went back and found several threads on this topic - all locked.
Is that a word to the wise?

Here's a question. Would anyone here prefer a partner who did not share your passion?

Say you are a woman with traditional ideas about sex roles, and it doesn't sit right for you to see your man making a thing of appearance, esthetics or style. Altho it's OK for you to do, you might prefer him to be as traditionally, plainly manly as possible, without any interests in history or culture - just family, work, and home.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
"Into vintage" vs. "not into vintage" isn't a problem as I consider it: one party likes vintage while the other is indifferent to it. In that way, it's just like anything else. My wife loves Edith Piaf, I'm indifferent to Piaf.

"Into vintage" vs. "thinks vintage is stupid/a costume/etc" would present more of a problem, especially in light of the fact that most people who enjoy vintage dress, decorate, shop, etc. vintage.

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
Lefty said:
"Into vintage" vs. "not into vintage" isn't a problem as I consider it: one party likes vintage while the other is indifferent to it. In that way, it's just like anything else. My wife loves Edith Piaf, I'm indifferent to Piaf.

"Into vintage" vs. "thinks vintage is stupid/a costume/etc" would present more of a problem, especially in light of the fact that most people who enjoy vintage dress, decorate, shop, etc. vintage.

I agree. A partner who hates your vintage and derides you for it, or always ask you to tone it down would be a drag. keep in mind, as hard as it may be to imagine, you may not always be so into vintage.

When I lived in Sf, I was hardcore, wore nothing but, and couldn't imagine a partner who was not into it a bit. With a few exceptions, I would say I was more hardcore than anyone on the board. These days,I still collect, but only dress on occasion, and couldn't care less about my partner's vintage interests. Still love he clothes, the music, and such, but it is not such a big part of my daily life.

Same with dancing. I went from six nights a week to none. If i had a parter who shares my in interests, i suppose I would maybe still be more into it on a daily basis. But don't be so sure five or ten or twenty years from now, it will still matter to you. How your partner treats you and the love between you will.

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
My boyfriend doesn't dress 'vintage', he lives in jeans, button down shirts (custom made for him) and chelsea boots, but he has several tailor made three-piece suits in a very classic style that he breaks out for occasions. And he always, always wears a hat (usually one of these rather than a fedora). But he is into vintage 'things', used to be a vintage car dealer, has an almost fully restored Georgian townhouse... and most importantly, loves vintage clothes on me. Admittedly he much prefers the 50s pencil skirt silhouette, which has led me to wear that a bit more often than before (my everyday attire is 40s). But I only see him Friday-Sunday, so I get the best of both worlds! So no, my other half does not need to be into vintage, but I don't know if I could be with someone who didn't at least appreciate it.

pigeon toe

One Too Many
My ex was very into vintage, and now we are broken up. The guy I am seeing now isn't vintage in the slightest (he's into punk and metal and his "uniform" is a black t-shirt, jeans and black zip-up sweatshirt). I am very, VERY happy with the new guy.

I've shown pictures of the guy to a former FL member and he asked me if I wanted to dress him up in a suit, or make him look vintage for a day. I've never heard anything more unappealing to me! This guy is who he is, and so what if shaves his face once a week (I like the scruff), and I've only seen him in a collared shirt ONCE. He is handsome and a gentleman and pretty much perfect to me right now. I'd never want to change him.

So obviously, liking vintage has nothing to do with whether a relationship will work out or not and I would never end a relationship because the person doesn't have the same exact interests as me. That's just ridiculous.

KittyVonKirsche

Familiar Face
pigeon toe said:
My ex was very into vintage, and now we are broken up. The guy I am seeing now isn't vintage in the slightest (he's into punk and metal and his "uniform" is a black t-shirt, jeans and black zip-up sweatshirt). I am very, VERY happy with the new guy.

I've shown pictures of the guy to a former FL member and he asked me if I wanted to dress him up in a suit, or make him look vintage for a day. I've never heard anything more unappealing to me! This guy is who he is, and so what if shaves his face once a week (I like the scruff), and I've only seen him in a collared shirt ONCE. He is handsome and a gentleman and pretty much perfect to me right now. I'd never want to change him.

So obviously, liking vintage has nothing to do with whether a relationship will work out or not and I would never end a relationship because the person doesn't have the same exact interests as me. That's just ridiculous.

He sounds like my hubby lol. I completely agree with you.

Lorena B

Practically Family
My actual boyfriend is really much into vintage too, he is more 50's while i go more towards the middle 40's.
Our relationship is great BUT is not founded in vintage liking.
My ex- before my boyfriend was a house music DJ and even he was totally different to me regarding music, cinema and clothing we were together for 3 years, only broke up when the relationship dried up for other reasons.

What it matters is the person, not what he wears on his outside!!

CherryKrissy

Familiar Face
My husband is not overly interested in vintage, although he loves the way it looks on me. It has no bearing on our relationship. It`s the person behind the clothes that drew me, and it always will.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo