Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

To old for Bettie cut?

kerry

One of the Regulars
Hi ladies, I havent posted on here for ages but I am always on here reading the threads, some of you may remember me.
Sorry, I only ever seem to post when I want advice but I thought Id ask your opinions. I am considering a drastic hair change and thought maybe a Bettie Page type cut may be the way to go. I would keep my hair the colour it is. Its way past my shoulders now. I mix eras with clothes . I will be 42 in may, am I too old for this hair style?:(

http://hairbrained.wordpress.com/2008/02/13/bettie-page-hair/

Esme

One of the Regulars
I have had my hair in that style quite a bit off and on for the last 10 years or so and I will be 51 in April. It's sort of a classic, so if it suits, why not?

sweatyspaghetti

Familiar Face
dude,i say go for it!

its fun,cute,and of course has that pin-up girl thing about it!! i took a huge leap of faith and bleached my hair just before my wedding on valentines day. it looks fabulous and the best thing about it is that i can do the marilyn hairdo,and still look punk because i put pink on my bangs.:D
i'll post a pic in the hairdo thread in a few days when im not swamped with work! the marilyn hairdo is amazing!

kerry

One of the Regulars
Thanks folks. I think I will do my hair with faux bangs later today and post the picture. It should give a good idea on whether the cut would suit me.

The Shirt

Practically Family
I don't know if this would be the case for you. But the last time I went in for bettie bangs, I realized I just don't have enough hair anymore to do it. My hair has just thinned out a bit. Oh how I dream of thick hair! The other thing I was going to try was there was a site that sold clip on bettie bangs. They looked super cute.

http://store.baronunlimited.com/bpagebangs.html

I don't think you are too old! There are plenty of women who rock the bang look at all ages.

Inky

One Too Many
Even Bettie was not to old for Bettie Bangs :)

bettie_at_playboy_50th.jpg

I love those clip-on bangs, The Shirt, if you get them please post a review!!

Brooksie

One Too Many
Never too old for Bettie Bangs! I will be 41 in June - my hair has thinned out a litte bit over time and I just got Bettie Bangs again last month after growing my hair out all one length. I just needed a change... must be what happens when you get into your 40's.:)

Brooksie

Anachronism

One of the Regulars
i'm going to be the bad guy i guess, but in my honest opinion, bettie bangs don't work on about 90% of older women. I'm 19 and i'm even thinking I need to grow them out and move on to a more mature look.

The thing about bettie bangs, the thing that makes them great, is that they're so youthful. Bettie paige has almost a schoolgirl-esq quality to her, she's very young looking.

Some older women can pull the off, but I see women on the street with short bangs and generally they wear too-tight clothes dark nail polish and too much eye liner and look like they are desperately hanging on to their youth.

that being said, mamie eisenhower bangs are perfect if you're older. I just wouldn't pair it with long hair. (and yes, there is a HUGE difference between the two, IMO)

don't let my opinion stop you. Rock what you got!

much love
--anachronism

pigeon toe

One Too Many
Personally, I prefer Bettie Bangs over Mamie Eisenhower bangs anyday! Especially if you're going for a vintage look. Mamia Eisenhower bangs just scream riot grrrl to me.

Anyway, I think bangs have become quite fashionable again lately, so it's not as uncommon to see older women with them. I think as long as you make sure the length and thickness are flattering to your features you should be fine! My problem when I had bangs was that I wanted them to be EXACTLY like Bettie's bangs or EXACTLY like Dita's huge 40's roll bangs, which wasn't always so flattering on me. I do sometimes miss them though! It made wearing my hair straight or in a ponytail really cute and funky still.

Post a picture if you get them done!

Inky

One Too Many
I was just watching Double Indemnity over lunch and am not paying any attention to the plot because I am mesmerized by Barbara Stanwyck and her hair.

I thought of you - maybe you can try a roll like this and see if you like the bangs/fringe.

19006593_352a5935f6_o.jpg

way more pictures here in my google search. wowza is she smoking hot!

kerry

One of the Regulars
Thanks everyone, I havent had a chance to try the faux bangs yet, I will have a go this weekend. I have found someone who could make me a fringe in real hair to match mine and will probably do that before jumping in and getting it cut. My hair has got so long now and I really dont know what to do with it. A trip to Ninas in London is called for I think. :)
Thanks again, I will post some pics. xxx

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Anachronism said:
i'm going to be the bad guy i guess, but in my honest opinion, bettie bangs don't work on about 90% of older women. I'm 19 and i'm even thinking I need to grow them out and move on to a more mature look.

Certain hairstyles take medium to thick, high quality, well maintained hair, as others have pointed out. I haven't seen many older women wearing short bangs, so I can't say whether I think it works.

But I'm with you on not looking like you're fighting your age tooth and nail. At some point, youthful styles just make a woman look older.

kerry

One of the Regulars
I tried out faux bangs today and can quite definately say that the look doesnt suit me, it made me look a bit hard if that makes sense. So its off to Ninas for a good cut. Thanks ladies xxx

mentha

Familiar Face
Just a question of a different nature. I'm sorry for putting it here, I couldn't find a better existing topic and wasn't sure if my question is worthy of a new topic. Please move this post to somewhere better if necessary.

Anyway, here it is.
I've been sporting Bettie-bangs for over a year now [or sort of, never really got the hang of cutting them myself] and now I feel it's time to let them grow out and join the rest of my hair again. That way I hope to be able to curl them along into some pretty Veronica Lake style waves.
So, what's the best way of growing them? Right now they're at the length where they [natural wave] curl exactly the wrong way, or any whichever way they like. And I'm not liking it ;) I've had them pinned back today, but the bottom hair is still too short for that, so I've got frizz peeping out all over.

Any tips are welcome!!!

cecil

A-List Customer
Ooh ooh! I actually know this one! lol
Veronica hair is always my goal, and although I'm rubbish at hair compared to everyone else here I haven been in the same boat as you!

When i was growing mine out the rule was basically to push them to one side and curl them under.
Part your hair on the side, then blowdry with a small round brush, curling them under and pulling them to the side. Pull down some hair from behind the bangs as you get closer to your ear and blowdry them the same way. Once dry, use a small-barrel curling iron, again going under and sortof to the side. you end up with a sausagey thing. Brush it out and tuck bits under and "fiddle" with the bit where the bangs meet the rest of your hair. Helps if the rest of the front section is curled (or in your case, naturally) in a loose wave. Spray the heck out of it. Turns out looking a bit like this:

http://twolia.com/blogs/heres-looking-like-you-kid/files/2008/11/veronica-lake.jpg

You can sorta see mine here. Please don't judge too harshly as I was having a rotten hair day, but where I'm smooshing my face into my brunette companion you can see where I've curled 'em under and to the side. Please ignore my rather alluring punk friend on the left. lol

http://item.slide.com/r/1/0/i/8L8-sJCErT8Ic8ddolCU-AJnxLePyYRb/

hope this makes sense and helps a bit. :eek:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran