Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

To Tilt or Not to Tilt...That is the Question!

Shaul-Ike Cohen

One Too Many
Benny Holiday said:
See the picture of Matt drawing a bead with his automatic to see what happens when someone criticizes the way he wears his hat! lol

Given said armament, I might get into serious trouble now, but when I just read that, I auto-corrected it to "Matt drawing a beard". No idea why.

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Part my hair on the right but tilt the lid to the left. That way it keeps me on an even keel.:D The has seem to migrate over that way even if I put it on square. Plus I tend to drive with my window down in my truck so I reflexively push it over to that side to keep the wind from grabbing it and kicking it around the cab.

Cheers!

Dan

Gallie

New in Town
Some great comments. Thanks for all your replies.

I guess I can tilt all I want and in any direction. :D

Hat wearing is new to me, so I'm still trying to figure this stuff out.

I have tilted on occasions, on purpose, and since I am right handed I've tilted to the right.

Matt...do you own a 1930's Ford? It's hard to tell from your picture but I did notice a classis in the back ground. I couldn't see it too well with that gun stuck in my face :eek:

SamReu

One of the Regulars
Spokes Man

If that is a Ford, I'm betting it's a Model A (1928-31), but the roof line, just above the visor, indicates it may be some other brand. Matt?

J.T.Marcus

Call Me a Cab
Gallie, Your avatar looks great with your hat straight. We have now scientifically proven that there is no correct tilt. Also, there is no relationship between the dominant hand and direction of tilt. However, most of us have one ear higher than the other. Floyd the Barber, on the Andy Griffith Show, is credited with discovering this scientific fact.

nola89

Familiar Face
Art Fawcett said:
For years I watched guys put on their hats to see what the natural tendency was. Not scientific at all but first, tilt has to do with attitude. I tilt mine naturally to the left ( which will bring me to my second point) and I tend to have a casual attitude with a bit of a swagger. Don't know why, it just happens. The second observation is that guys tend to tilt toward their dominant hand. I'm left handed so it feels natural to me. This would be a good time to see if my theory holds water. It's kindof like "what side do you part your hair" sortof thing.
Scott, perhaps your head is already tilted??:D

So, does my theory hold water guys?

You'd think that would always be the case and for the most part I see that but I tilt to the left and I'm a righty.

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
Bogart's hat

At the beginning of this thread someone mentioned that Bogart tilts his hat. It does look like this but I think his hat is flat with the brim at a slight angle to the crown, making it look like he tilts although he is not.

rrog

A-List Customer
Gallie said:
I couldn't see it too well with that gun stuck in my face :eek:

Welcome to the lounge Gallie. Everybody who wears hats is new to it at first too, so go with the flow and do what feels comfortable. Before I started wearing, I thought I could never wear a hat and look good in it. I've gotten so many compliments on the hats I wear and many of the men who have offered compliments have also said things like, "I wish I could wear a hat and look good in it. I just don't have the face/head for it." Well, you can look at my avatar and see that if the face or head was the determining factor in whether or not people wore hats, I'd be wearing a bag over my head! So tilt or don't tilt; make it yours and go for it.

:eek:fftopic: And pa-leeze forgive me for saying this, but the gun owner in me is screaming this inside my head so loudly it just has to come out. One of the main rules of gun handling: never-ever, no matter whether it's loaded or not, don't never-ever-never put your finger on the trigger unless you're ready to shoot. There are actually very few accidental discharges of firearms. But there are a lot more "negligent" discharges due to people putting their fingers on triggers thinking they won't go off. No disrespect intended. When I see someone putting their finger on the trigger prematurely, whether in person or in a picture, I can't help myself. I realize the argument can be made that the Fedora Lounge is not the place to point out gun safety. But if even one young person reads this post and remembers it the next time he's handling a firearm, then it's worth any amount of flaming I might receive. But again, no offense or disrespect intended. :eek:fftopic:

There, the voices in my head are gone. Please carry on.

rrog

LEUII

One of the Regulars
My hats tend to tilt in the direction of the hand that puts them on my head. I'm ambidextrous and depending upon what I'm doing when I walk out the door that's the hand that does the job.

I really never thought about it until one day my daughter made the comment, 'Daddy, your hat is on too straight and it looks funny.'

BTW, as a firearm instructor I have to second the bit on trigger control.

OneStar

New in Town
An explanation of the reason to tilt - from an expert

Sorry to drag this old thread up again, however I was listening the other day to an interesting interview with Stephen Jones, the world famous British milliner. He explained that because the human face is never symetrical a hat worn straight will only highlight this lack of symetry. By tilting the hat on the head the eyes are distracted from this characteristic.

Good enough explanation for me. So, tilt away guys....

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
Since it is been brought up, I tend to tilt my hats the same direction I part my hair. It just fits better that way. I also like to put a little bit of a left facing sneer in my brims, almost a hollywood brim.

Then again, I also tend to stand with my head turned slightly to the left, my voice teacher is always trying to fix that.

One Too Many
Tilt Hat

I believe what the tilt hat must be natural, letting the hat sit in head, I don´t like tilt that in front mirrow, because you are exaggerating the look in you and not all hats look well on any person.:)

The Good

Call Me a Cab
I almost always tilt it to the right very slightly. However, when I want the fedora to stay on for sure (not that it can't otherwise, it's a good fit), as if for functional reasons (heavy winds), I set it straight.

Big_e

Practically Family
When I start out and leave the house, I tilt my hat to the right. I like talking to people and always end up with my hat brims tilted up. It happens unconsciously and I heard it makes you more approachable.
Ernest

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24