Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

To Tux or Not?

Corky

Practically Family
To Tux or Not? Concert Attire Redesign Focuses on Musicians' Comfort

Sleek leather and decorative lace for women. Breathable mesh and stretchy wool for men. These were the calling cards of new orchestral garments unveiled Sunday evening in a concert and runway show at Parsons The New School for Design.

Making-of Video: BSO and Parsons Reimagine Orchestra Attire

The outfits are the product of a year-long project between Parsons, the Baltimore Symphony Orchestra and the Mannes College of Music, intended to create new concepts for fashionable orchestra attire.

The project, which involved students in the Parsons’ fashion and design technology programs, began with a challenge from Marin Alsop, the music director of the Baltimore Symphony Orchestra: to envision how symphony orchestras can project a fresher, more contemporary image, and to make garments better suited to the physicality of performance. The eventual goal: to outfit the musicians of the Baltimore Symphony.

full_quartet_1.jpg

Sunday’s concert also underscored some of the challenges when it comes to rethinking traditional attire, not just because it is so familiar to audiences, but also because it raises the question of what follows next.

The evening featured three chamber music performances, ending with a Mannes string quintet wearing the students' prototypes. On the surface, the men's tuxes were nearly indistinguishable from the standard white tie and tails now seen on most orchestra stages. One had a fitted, tailored look; another was slightly more modern and boxy. Two women quartet members wore variations on traditional full-length evening gowns, albeit with more modern fabric and tailoring.

(Cont'd at link)

gonnabeadoc

New in Town
Dancers have been modifying evening dress for a very long time in order to suit their purposes. I think it is fantastic that other performers have this option. I played the Clarinet in college and wished I had something more comfortable to wear during performances on a few occasions.

Though I did enjoy looking smashing in proper evening attire.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24