• Welcome to The Fedora Lounge!

Today in History

Discussion in 'The Observation Bar' started by KittyT, May 15, 2007.

1. KittyT

KittyT I'll Lock Up

1930 -- Ellen Church, the first airline stewardess, went on duty aboard a United Airlines flight between San Francisco and Cheyenne, Wyo.

1940 -- nylon stockings went on general sale for the first time in the United States.

1942 -- gasoline rationing went into effect in 17 states.

2. panamag8or

panamag8or Practically Family

:cheers1:

3. And Abbott and Costello tried to steal a pair from Lucille Ball while Bugs Bunny rode on Lou's back.

4. KittyT

KittyT I'll Lock Up

May 17th

1792 The New York Stock Exchange was founded by brokers meeting under a tree on what is now Wall Street.

1875 The first Kentucky Derby was run; the winner was Aristides.

1954 The Supreme Court issued its landmark Brown vs. Board of Education of Topeka ruling, which declared that racially segregated public schools were inherently unequal

5. On this day...WWII

1940 - World War II: The old city centre of the Dutch town of Middelburg is bombed by the German Luftwaffe, to force the surrender of the Dutch armies in Zeeland.

1943 - World War II: The Dambuster Raids by No. 617 Squadron RAF on German dams.

6. B.J. Hedberg

B.J. Hedberg Practically Family

Might not be Golden Era related, but these two events that occurred on this date certainly were quite important in shaping the course of history:

1. On this date in 1776 the Lee Resolution was adopted. New York abstained from the vote. “Resolved, That these United Colonies are, and of right ought to be, free and independent States, that they are absolved from all allegiance to the British Crown, and that all political connection between them and the State of Great Britain is, and ought to be, totally dissolved.”

2. On this day in 1863 the 1st Minnesota Volunteer Infantry charged to glory at Gettysburg, saving the field and possibly the Union itself. Their casualty rate that day was 83%. Here’s the inscription inscribed upon their monument:

7. Harp

Harp I'll Lock Up

:eek:fftopic:
    Pickett struggled with his conscience thereafter; blaming Lee, who remains
    "the marble man" in the annals of Mars, of course; though Lee probably paid out
    the coffers of his own conscience down to the last penny at Gettysburg; leaving him a bayonet carved soul-or perhaps the inner firewalls had fallen earlier, thereby allowing his actions, and a measured guilt he could drink from the Cup when called.

8. B.J. Hedberg

B.J. Hedberg Practically Family

I can imagine little worse than being in Pickett’s position. For those us at least who can look back after the passage of time, the gallantry and sacrifice of so many brave men for their ideals is inspirational and fills us with pride; but for him... certainly an unenviable position for any man to be in.

9. DNO

DNO One Too Many

1789: The French stormed the Bastille and the world changed.

10. MisterCairo

MisterCairo I'll Lock Up

Michael R. likes this.
  11. MisterCairo

MisterCairo I'll Lock Up

Seventy five years ago today, nearly 5,000 Canadian troops, along with Royal Marine Commandos and, for the first time on European soil, some 50 US Rangers (including the first American killed in action on European soil), landed at Dieppe, France, for Operation Jubilee.

In the single costliest battle of the war for Canada, in just over 6 and a half hours, 907 Canadians were killed, over 1,900 taken prisoner of war, and hundred were injured (including both PWs and among those returning).

In perspective, more than half the force did not return to England that day.

Often regarded as a needless debacle, it is oft noted that it provided much valuable does and don'ts for the eventual D-Day, and it has recently been suggested that the real reason for choosing Dieppe, and for launching the raid directly on the town, was for a secret mission to retrieve German crypto machinery, later learned to be the Enigma machine.

Regardless, it remains a sad day in Canadian military history.

http://globalnews.ca/news/274605/breaking-german-codes-real-reason-for-1942-dieppe-raid-historian/

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/dieppe-raid-pows-1.4253500

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Last edited: Aug 29, 2017
  13. GHT

GHT My Mail is Forwarded Here

On this day in 1833, The House of Commons approved the Abolition Act, introduced earlier by Thomas Buxton, abolishing slavery throughout most of the British Empire.

And as this coming Thursday is the 20th anniversary of Princess Diana's death, this snippet seems quite appropriate. On this day in 1996 The divorce of Charles, the Prince of Wales, and Princess Diana was finalized in a decree absolute issued in London's High Court. Under the terms of the divorce settlement, Diana was stripped of her 'Royal Highness' title.

14. Harp

Harp I'll Lock Up

Offtopic: I had an ex-Ranger History prof in college who wrote a book on Col. William O. Darby whom had organized and led the Rangers in WWII.
    Darby fell victim to shrapnel in Italy, so my prof solicited permission from Darby's sister to gain access to his service record.
    When he finally began to write the book, he said he had everything from photostats of Darby's birth certificate to the toe tag placed
    on his foot in the Army morgue tent, and, at the time was visiting prof at the Army War College when he received a telephone call
    one night from a woman whom identified herself as Darby's former wife. Apparently, the lady had cheated on Darby and they divorced
    early in his career, she had remarried, and her second husband did not know about her past. She asked not to be included in the book,
    which the prof agreed to. When the prof and I first met after class I mentioned that I had read his book and noted the lack of reference to any marriage,
    so he told me the background story.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2017
  15. GHT

On this day twenty years ago, Princess Diana died from her injuries following a car collision. And the British Press have dined out on it ever since. No doubt we will have all the conspiracy theories aired again, as well as fanciful and fictional accounts. If you read our newspapers you could be forgiven for thinking that the Fleet Street editors have The Lord's personal phone number.

16. On this day; Oliver Cromwell died in1658.

On this day; ' Viking II' landed on mars in 1976

17. GHT

Three years later he will be dug up, put on trial, found guilty and be executed by decapitation.

18. GHT

On this day in 1609, English explorer, Henry Hudson sailed into what is now New York Harbour aboard his sloop Half Moon.

19. And now he has a river, a parkway and a park named after him. Was just recently on the banks of the Hudson river - it is an impressive body of water.

20. Harp

Harp I'll Lock Up

Cromwell's skull staved upon a pike, later claimed by his alma mater-Cambridge or Oxford and the particular college cannot now recall.