• Welcome to The Fedora Lounge!

Today in History

Discussion in 'The Observation Bar' started by KittyT, May 15, 2007.

1. GHT

GHT My Mail is Forwarded Here

He attended Sidney Sussex College, Cambridge. But I'm seriously impressed with your history knowledge.

2. GHT

On this day in 1620, The Mayflower sails from Plymouth, England, bound for the New World with 102 passengers. The ship was headed for Virginia, where the colonists, half religious dissenters, and half entrepreneurs, had been authorised to settle by the British crown. However, stormy weather and navigational errors forced the Mayflower off course, and on November 21 the Pilgrims reached Massachusetts, where they founded the first permanent European settlement in New England in late December.

3. Hurricane Jack

Hurricane Jack I'll Lock Up

General Robert E. Lee died on this date, Oct. 12, 1870. RIP.

4. Not commenting on the politics of it, but if he is aware of what's going on today, I very much doubt he's RIP.

5. 1945: Desmond Doss, whose story was told in the movie Hacksaw Ridge, is awarded the Congressional Medal of Honor. The first conscientious objector to be accorded the honor.

6. scotrace

scotrace Head Bartender Staff Member

I just saw Hacksaw Ridge last week, and if even 20% of it was true, he richly deserved it and more. "Let me find just one more, Lord." I wept like a baby.

1mach1 likes this.
  7. GHT

On this day in 1812, the Battle of Queenstown Heights was fought. The British forces defeated the United States forces in their attempt to invade Canada.

MisterCairo and 1mach1 like this.
  8. Today in 1903.

The Joint Commission, set up on January 24 by Great Britain and the United States to arbitrate the disputed Alaskan boundary, rules in favor of the United States. The deciding vote is Britain's, which embitters Canada. The United States gains ports on the panhandle coast of Alaska.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Hurricane Jack likes this.
  9. MisterCairo

MisterCairo I'll Lock Up

:mad::mad::mad:

1mach1 likes this.
  10. :D

11. By this time, 1903, when it was decided, did the disputed area have any gold left? Was there any oil to subsequently be discovered?

1mach1 likes this.
  12. Very good question. Unfortunately, I do not know the answer. I too was wondering if the gold and oil had all be found at that point or not.

13. Tiki Tom

Tiki Tom Practically Family

LizzieMaine likes this.
  14. Harp

Harp I'll Lock Up

O.T.: Best surfing in Hawaii is at the Marine Beach, Kaneohe, Oahu.:D
    ...further rumination beyond cursory federal annexation and eventual admittance
    to statehood; whatever partisan stripe held therein, is the assimilation of the Hawaiian race
    within settled ethnic/racial strains over the past several centuries to the extent that
    the aboriginal blood trace of native Polynesian descent may be 'absorbed' almost entirely.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2017
  15. Hurricane Jack

Hurricane Jack I'll Lock Up

Jefferson Davis died on this date, Dec 6, 1889. RIP.

16. Foch

Foch New in Town

On December 6th, 1865, the 13th Amendment to the U.S. Constitution was ratified, ending the institution of slavery. “Neither slavery nor involuntary servitude, except as a punishment for crime whereof the party shall have been duly convicted, shall exist within the United States, or any place subject to their jurisdiction.” With these words, the single greatest change wrought by the Civil War was officially noted in the Constitution.

17. December 17 1903

Near Kitty Hawk, North Carolina, Orville and Wilbur Wright make the first successful flight in history of a self-propelled, heavier-than-air aircraft. Orville piloted the gasoline-powered, propeller-driven biplane, which stayed aloft for 12 seconds and covered 120 feet on its inaugural flight.

Hurricane Jack likes this.
  18. GHT

1849 Thomas and William Bowler, felt hat makers, sold their first 'bowler' to William Coke, which he purchased at James Lock & Co. in London.

19. I'm going to call Kitty Hawk the winner of the "bigger historical event of the day" contest.

Also, has there been any greater advance in any shorter period of time than from those 12 seconds and 120 feet at Kitty Hawk to a man on the mood 65 years later?

1mach1 likes this.
  20. Crazy how fast flight progressed isnt it?