Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Todd's "Bantu Wind" Jacket ... and sizing

Doug C

Practically Family
Hi, was wondering if anyone here's picked up one of Todd's Costumes "Bantu Wind" Indy jackets? It was an order of jackets that Todd's received that were off a bit (large yolk, bad zippers, loose threads, etc) and are therefore discounted. I like the apparent slightly thicker and more textured lambskin and the price, over the standard and thought I'd give one a try. The problem?... (no offense to Todd but) I don't quite trust his sizing. I've owned a standard and the standard was in an XL (when I usually take a L in other brands, as recommended), still the Xl felt slightly too short and I sold it but mostly because of the supper smooth lambskin. Todd wrote me and said his model for the Bantu Wind jacket is wearing a L and is 5'10"/170lbs. This should work for me, though I'm closer to 180 in truth but the jacket is a bit loose on his model IMHO. But again the XL standard I had disagrees with this info. Anyone have direct experience with the Todd Bantu Wind jacket that can comment on the sizing?http://www.toddscostumes.com/product/356BW/Bantu-Wind-Jacket/

Joeyeah_right

New in Town
Hi Doug, I think the Large would fit you fine, but it could possibly be snug, as in you may not be able to layer it with a sweater or something in colder weather, whereas the XL might be a bit too big, but if you want the loose fitting look, then it would probably be fine.

I initially ordered the Large (I'm 6'2", just under 190lb), and it was too short and too small on me:

Large - Unzipped
dscn0138.jpg

Large - Zipped up
dscn0139.jpg

Then i ordered the XL and it was perfect (Well maybe slightly short in the sleeves, but I'm sure a tailor could let out some of the excess leather for me to make it better)

X-Large - Unzipped
bw1-640.jpg

X-Large - Zipped up.
bw2-640.jpg

I hope that helps?

(My wife ended up keeping the Large I bought, as it fit her perfectly so I didn't end up wasting money and having a jacket I could not wear :) )

Regards
Joe

Doug C

Practically Family
Wow, thanks for the info Joe and for posting those pictures - a huge help! That jacket looks great on you btw.. From your pictures it seems the sizes are in-between what would be ideal for me. I'm thinking the XL may just be a little too big for me at 5'10" 180lb. This points to the regular jackets and these BW ones being sized differently. Have you ever owned one of Todd's standard jackets, for size comparison? thanks again.

Joeyeah_right

New in Town
Wow, thanks for the info Joe and for posting those pictures - a huge help! That jacket looks great on you btw.. From your pictures it seems the sizes are in-between what would be ideal for me. I'm thinking the XL may just be a little too big for me at 5'10" 180lb. This points to the regular jackets and these BW ones being sized differently. Have you ever owned one of Todd's standard jackets, for size comparison? thanks again.

Hi Doug,
No, I've never owned a Todd's standard. The only other 'Indy' jacket I own is a Wested soft goat in size 44 Long.

Here's a shot of how that looks in comparison:
dscn0137.jpg

Regards
Joe

Edward

Bartender
:eek:fftopic:

I have one of the Wested goat jackets (a Raiders model) too. Very pleased with it, actually.... I had long wanted an Indy jacket - you know when you have an itch that just needs scratched.... but I did not want to pay the big bucks for one: For Aero type money, I'd rather my Thirties halfbelt, which in truth I prefer as a jacket design in and of itself. The Wested filled a niche for me in that it's a light, leather jacket that has a vintage vibe to it but is light enough to wear in warmer weather (unlike my FQHH Aero, or anything with knits). Lack of knits means it is, if anything, slightly cooler than a harrington. The goathide isn't quite as nice as Aero's, but it's tough enough that I'm not worried about it tearing (my concern with lamb, which would otherwise be ideal for heat). Buying used, I paid less than half of what I paid for a used Aero A2 in goat - both jackets in mint condition.

Whichever option you go for, it is nice to have a jacket that is cheaper and easier to replace than the top end stuff to take travelling and whatever. I'll happily take my Wested places I might think twice about with the Aeros (specifically, places where I might end up taking the jacket off or having to leave it somewhere I might not have 100% faith in as regards security, like a tent. That Bantau Wind jacket looks good if you can get a size/fit you're happy with (the bonus of Wested, as with some others, is the numbered sizing over the L/XL etc), and the lambskin meets your needs. If I was buying new, I'd probably stump up for a custom-fitted Wested (especially as I could realistically get to their base to be measured), but I can't imagine you'll find a better deal on price - USD99 is a little less than I paid for my used Wested. Even with a repair or two to be made, that's quite a saving. Do remember, though, that the nature of the design is that the jacket will be a little boxy - it's basically an A2 with no knits, not a halfbelt.

Doug C

Practically Family
Thanks Edward, but I've had over a dozen Indy jackets from all of the main repro players over the years (back to early '99). Have had about I'd say 5 or 6 Westeds (including Custom made), the standard Todd's that I mentioned as well as a custom from them too, multiples from US Wings, US Authentic, etc. I've gotten rid of them all for one reason or the other but the main consistent gripe has been the lack of sufficient leather graining.... then TN went too far with it (not to mention the ridiculous price, IMHO). Yet I still have the "itch". My opinion from experience is that there is no reason to pay the extra for a custom. The Todd's pattern is as good as any regardless of price - and/or better than most but his standard leather is lacking, so that's why the Bantu Wind jacket is appealing to me.

Edward

Bartender
Oy vey, you're way more experienced than me in this, then! I've long had a hunch that many Indy jackets aren't as durable as they could be as they sell mostly to the cosplay crowd... would that bear out in your experience? Tbh, I'd have been wary of Todd's as I've read not so great things about their boots, though that may be unfair, applying that to jackets.

I'd love to see one done in Aero's goat.

Last edited:

Edward

Bartender
Interested to hear your opinion on the customs too... my otr Wested is a great fit on me, though i did wonder if a custom could have been better. (Not that it is likely to have been a hundred quid better, but that's another matter!).

Doug C

Practically Family
For me durability has never been a real problem, I think it's kind of an issue that's over stated. With that I mean, unless you're doing stuff like Indy then IMHO the average lambskin is enough as far as durability goes but YMMV. I've personally never had any of these jackets tear by being snagged but I guess that does happen. I've never used them delicately either, don't believe in it. Here's the thing about customs - they just never (in my experience) come out to be the exact measurements that I've provided, once the tape measure is checked. After a few at extra cost you start to realize that it's not worth the extra scratch. Wested custom was too small and the Todd's custom to big. I did once get a custom USAAF Type A1 jacket from US Authentic (believe it or not) that was pretty close on the measurements to be fair. The Todd's custom leather was really nice btw, called "pre-washed lambskin" but they made it bigger than I asked, and at a premium cost. I tried to convince myself that it was right and didn't send it back. It may just be my luck has just been off but I wouldn't go custom again.

Last edited:

Edward

Bartender
For me durability has never been a real problem, I think it's kind of an issue that's over stated. With that I mean, unless you're doing stuff like Indy then IMHO the average lambskin is enough as far as durability goes but YMMV. I've personally never had any of these jackets tear by being snagged but I guess that does happen. I've never used them delicately either, don't believe in it. Here's the thing about customs - they just never (in my experience) come out to be the exact measurements that I've provided, once the tape measure is checked. After a few at extra cost you start to realize that it's not worth the extra scratch. Wested custom was too small and the Todd's custom to big. I did once get a custom USAAF Type A1 jacket from US Authentic (believe it or not) that was pretty close on the measurements to be fair. The Todd's custom leather was really nice btw, called "pre-washed lambskin" but they made it bigger than I asked, and at a premium cost. I tried to convince myself that it was right and didn't send it back. It may just be my luck has just been off but I wouldn't go custom again.

I know what you mean - unless you're able to have them take your measurements and discuss jacket fit in person, it can be a gamble. I've had very good luck with my Aeros to date, but I'm obviously pretty close to their standard 42R measurements, and at that there was a lot of nervousness my end before the first one arrived!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner