Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Too much skin?

Miss Sis

One Too Many
Smithy said:
Miss Sis, I am from Auckland where I was born and bred.

Honestly though Kiwis are IMO far too casual now. Nobody seems to get dressed up for any reason now which is a huge shame.

Must be an Auckland thing - Wellington is smarter! ;)

Perhaps because it is a government city? It is a bit of a paradox because I find people dress up more for going out there than here in London, but casual clothes are probably much more casual. I guess the weather helps. [huh]

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Miss Sis said:
Must be an Auckland thing - Wellington is smarter! ;)

Perhaps because it is a government city? It is a bit of a paradox because I find people dress up more for going out there than here in London, but casual clothes are probably much more casual. I guess the weather helps. [huh]

I think you're right there, Welly is more "dressed up" than Auckland, and this might very well be due to the political aspect. It's definitely a more "cultural" city than up here which may also have something to do with it.

How long did you spend over here Miss Sis or are you from these parts ;) ?

Phil

A-List Customer
Try coming to my school. It's the temperature has been hovering between -2 and arcitc and there are still girls showing up to school in mini-skirts, low rise jeans, and low cut shirts. Then they have the nerve to complain about being cold. It's funny to try and see our staff try and keep up. Around now though they care less because the girls are punished with being cold rather than having to put on the gym t-shirt. It's bad though, considering how young some of these girls are.

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
Paisley said:
OK, I just had to dig through the archives of the Modesty Zone to find this.

The cleavage thing most definitely sends a message.
I think it's all about insecurity when I think of women I know that emphasize this, uhhmmm,...attribute. I'd have to think twice about if I wanted to get involved with someone like that, really. It's like posing nude in a magazine for millions of other guys eyes. Not someone I could take home to mom, I guess. It's really unnecessary to attract a quality guy that appreciates a woman for who she is, not just what she looks like. Don't get me wrong, a little cheesecake is great in context, but not in most social settings, especially the workplace.

BitterEpiphany

Familiar Face
I have to say, on weekends and at shows of the amp crates variety, i've been known to wear outfits in which it's impossible to find a way to stand that doesn't show off something inappropriate. I own many many clothes made of vinyl that have zippers which i almost always leave unzipped in very inappropriate places. With that having been said, however, I reserve them for Metallica concerts, and even then only when I'm surrounded by a group of men who could suffice as a guard if things got...dicey.

The office, however, is an entirely different story and, frankly, I think there are more than enough things this list forgot to include. Lycra wrap tops for instance. Sweater clad or not, there is one purpose and one purpose only behind a lycra wrap top and, call me crazy, but I think my black and pink tanktop with the strategcally located clevagevisionzipper is somehow less offensive because at least its not masquerading as something its not.

There are a few kinds of clothing out there - the clothing that is designed to hide the human form (of the mumu and 90's zebra stripe sweat pants variety), the clothing that is designed to fit, but cover the human form, of the fitted sweater, medium rise pants and tailored suit jacket variety...and then there is the kind of clothing that is designed, not to say "look, i'm wearing clothes" but rather "look at how close I can come to not wearing any clothes" and all things have their time and their place.

I've worked at many jobs and in none of them was I anything other than better dressed than my boss.

Down with the casual friday, anyone?

Sunny

One Too Many
BitterEpiphany said:
The office, however, is an entirely different story and, frankly, I think there are more than enough things this list forgot to include. Lycra wrap tops for instance. Sweater clad or not, there is one purpose and one purpose only behind a lycra wrap top... at least its not masquerading as something its not.

...and then there is the kind of clothing that is designed, not to say "look, i'm wearing clothes" but rather "look at how close I can come to not wearing any clothes" and all things have their time and their place.

This all reminds me of a line from an Old Time Radio show:

"She looked like a pinup girl with her clothes on."

That's exactly the style and attitude that the article doesn't consider. It's not merely the sum total of skin that is being shown; it's how revealing and accentuating it is. The attitude that goes along with it can either intensify or tone down the effect; but something that fits tighter than a mermaid's skin is going to attract attention.

Grnidwitch

A-List Customer
Maj.Nick Danger said:
The cleavage thing most definitely sends a message.
I think it's all about insecurity when I think of women I know that emphasize this, uhhmmm,...attribute. I'd have to think twice about if I wanted to get involved with someone like that, really. It's like posing nude in a magazine for millions of other guys eyes. Not someone I could take home to mom, I guess. It's really unnecessary to attract a quality guy that appreciates a woman for who she is, not just what she looks like. Don't get me wrong, a little cheesecake is great in context, but not in most social settings, especially the workplace.

:eek:fftopic:
Hey Nick,

How's the cat?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThomW