Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Too Old for a Short Leather Jacket?

too much coffee

Practically Family
As a bit of a fatty myself I think I am ok to say this.
The classic British Beer Belly does not take kindly to being clothed in any form, much better than naked mind but it, as others have said is not a flattering look and cannot be disguised by 'coolness'.
Whenever I go out I always check myself in the mirror, not for vanity but just to make sure I am happy with myself in my Highwayman or what other jackets I wear.
Guess I find it real hard to loose any weight, though I am not too fat in the bacon sandwich department I would hate to think I looked to like an old man trying to re capture my lost youth in short jackets.
Keep wearing em', John

Don't worry 'bout nothing Johnny.........I'm sure you handle that Hayabusa quite well!

irow

New in Town

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
Don't worry 'bout nothing Johnny.........I'm sure you handle that Hayabusa quite well!

Brilliant that you remember me for 'Big Suzi'. I'm looking for some close fitting body armour such as a vest type thing, then I can wear an A2 while riding.

And to think that I got called out here because I said A2's looks "dad-ish".

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/show...ero-A-2-pics&p=1528274&viewfull=1#post1528274

So what is the FL consensus on the matter? (I am a young man who just bought his first A2 jacket, and I am very happy with it).
I started wearing them at 23, the majority or guys who started wearing A2s were probably under that and doing something rather dangerous, like fighting a war. not at all 'Dad-ish'. I think the design is timeless, as long as it's not worn with those saggy arsed trousers popular with the gay prison look.
Johnny Tee

One thing is the concept of short jacket. Some manufacturers make longer bodies for taller guys.

This may be worth trying out if the short jacket seems to create a ... defective image. A Tall (the longer versions) of the jacket may help a lot.
For me In golf shirts an XL was too tight and too short but a 2XL was way too big, here an XL Tall fit just right. So sometimes a Tall will cover some of those infirmaties.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
The problem that I have is that I am almost 6'2" and am all arms and legs but have a short torso. So, a Tall fit is generally needed for my long arms, but the body length then is usually longer than I need. Fortunately, Aero can fine tune the arm and body length as no other can.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
And to think that I got called out here because I said A2's looks "dad-ish".

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/show...ero-A-2-pics&p=1528274&viewfull=1#post1528274

So what is the FL consensus on the matter? (I am a young man who just bought his first A2 jacket, and I am very happy with it).

Ignore me, I'm a curmudgeon. Mind you when I was 20 I started my leather jacket experiments. In my own assessment, I did look like as ass in a brand new jacket at that age. The main thing is that you're happy.

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
I wonder what MacArthur , Chennault or Patton would have said if they were asked by their wives ….
" Is that what you're wearing " ?

You are as young as you want to be ! Wear what you feel comfortable & the heck with everybody else .

As for me…I'll be taking mine with me , if it's not acceptable upstairs or it's too hot down there…..I'll
probably stay in limbo…but at least I'll have my leather with me ! :D

nice hat dude!

One Too Many
I wonder what MacArthur , Chennault or Patton would have said if they were asked by their wives ….
" Is that what you're wearing " ?

You are as young as you want to be ! Wear what you feel comfortable & the heck with everybody else .

As for me…I'll be taking mine with me , if it's not acceptable upstairs or it's too hot down there…..I'll
probably stay in limbo…but at least I'll have my leather with me ! :D

What if they tell you that you can have it but it's too short(haha)

Exactly. For short, I'm thinking battledress blouse/Ike jacket and shorter … The A2 has it's own unique fit and stylistic problems (i.e. forgiving, but not flattering, and for a jacket of this type, astonishingly unfunctional teeny tiny pockets), but shortness isn't one of them.

What has the world come to when an A-2 is considered a 'short' jacket?!?

Doublegun

Practically Family
How about looking at it this way: does it really matter what material the jacket made of? I mean, if an older gent can poll off a Barracuda in poplin, why not leather?

majormajor

One Too Many
Nothing to do with age.

Overweight youngsters look stupid in short jackets.

Trim older guys look cool in them.

And the great thing is that getting a cool jacket can be a good incentive for losing a few pounds:D;)

resortes805

Call Me a Cab
BK is right.

Jacket on the left is short. Jacket on the right is. . . just a jacket.
General-Dwight-D-Eisenhower-Lt-General-Lucius-D-Clay-at-Gatow-Airport-in-Berlin.gif

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Exactly. For short, I'm thinking battledress blouse/Ike jacket and shorter … The A2 has it's own unique fit and stylistic problems (i.e. forgiving, but not flattering, and for a jacket of this type, astonishingly unfunctional teeny tiny pockets), but shortness isn't one of them.

That's a good point. Does anyone actually use the front pockets on their A-2s? I had a cloth Vivienne Westwood rip-off of one, and even though it had larger pockets, I never used them.

majormajor

One Too Many
That's a good point. Does anyone actually use the front pockets on their A-2s? I had a cloth Vivienne Westwood rip-off of one, and even though it had larger pockets, I never used them.

Gotta put my phone somewhere. An A2 pocket fits the bill perfectly:D;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran