Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Too Old for a Short Leather Jacket?

This is interesting. I know this is the length most of the guys probably mean by short. As the OP, how short are we talking here? are you looking to be wearing a bolero jacket? Some of my vintage jackets are pretty damn short - a 30s French military tank driver's jacket, for example, is just 19" long down the back and barely reaches my waistband. Is that the kind of shortness you're meaning? A2s are long by comparison.

I wouldn't consider Indy's Jacket short.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Sorry Peacoat. They'll hafta pry even my black hides out of my cold dead hands....and
I really could care less what these young whippersnappers try to be...as long as they stay the hell outa my damn yard!

HD, that black vintage FQHH Stuart is one of the best looking jackets out there, and the fit looks like it could not be improved on.

nice hat dude!

One Too Many
Sorry Peacoat. They'll hafta pry even my black hides out of my cold dead hands....and
I really could care less what these young whippersnappers try to be...as long as they stay the hell outa my damn yard!

Oh Oh jackets to short Hoosier think you aught to sell it to me,I'll promise to have it lengthened(haha)looks good Hoosier!!

Richard Warren

Practically Family
This is just a platitude, in reality it's just not true at all. There are many styles of dress that simply aren't age appropriate and just look absurd. Put a 60 year old man in high tops, skinny jeans, tight T and he looks ridiculous. Put him in a Brooks Brothers suit he looks distinguished.

The only reason a 60 year old in high tops, skinny jeans, and a tight t shirt would look ridiculous is because anybody (at least any male person) looks ridiculous in skiny jeans.

dmdmorris

One of the Regulars
This is interesting. I know this is the length most of the guys probably mean by short. As the OP, how short are we talking here? are you looking to be wearing a bolero jacket? Some of my vintage jackets are pretty damn short - a 30s French military tank driver's jacket, for example, is just 19" long down the back and barely reaches my waistband. Is that the kind of shortness you're meaning? A2s are long by comparison.

I'm turning this over to you guys. I thought it was an interesting topic. For me personally, short is anything that reaches (ends) above my belt.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
I disagree. I think that this A2 looks far better on its twentysomething model than virtually any A2 I've seen on the Fedora Lounge or my occasional forays onto VLJ.

img57852254.jpg

The A2 suits slim builds best, rather than those who ate all the pies. :eek:

I don't think that looks much good at all - looks like a gormless fashion punk to me. Both the wearer and the jacket needs character that comes with age.

Last edited:

nice hat dude!

One Too Many
Jon Davison?
Jon Anderson was correct. I agree with others, best to have the build for short leather jacket. If you do, age doesn't matter. You will just look cooler than most your age.

Go to Wiki and you probably won't believe what you'll find.Singer named Jon Davison also singer named yea that's right you guessed it Jon Anderson?but obviously were talking about the one in the picture with the "Bolero" which is Jon Anderson,My bad,sorry Sloan
PS.Jon Davison didn't join the band until this year.

Last edited:

winterland1

Practically Family
Jon Davison?
Jon Anderson was correct. I agree with others, best to have the build for short leather jacket. If you do, age doesn't matter. You will just look cooler than most your age.

Go to Wiki and you probably won't believe what you'll find.Singer named Jon Davison also singer named yea that's right you guessed it Jon Anderson?but obviously were talking about the one in the picture with the "Bolero" which is Jon Anderson,My bad,sorry Sloan
PS.Jon Davison didn't join the band until this year.

Ok I just learned something. I did not know they had a replacement singer. Both Jon's.
So we were both correct.

Doublegun

Practically Family
I went through this myself earlier this year before deciding to order a Cafe. Personally I think most of the classic designs look fine on older gentlemen. However there are a lot of "mall jackets" that may look passable on younger folks but not on older fellows. Also, I used the "investment" in a cafe to help motivate me to shed a few extra pounds from around my waist.

Davy Crockett

A-List Customer
Perfect Solution,
Buy a longer and a short jacket, ask her which she prefers if it's the longer one tell her you will wear that one when you are with her and wear the other one when you are not! 2 jackets for the hassle of 1

D

I know this sounds way crazy..but I tend to buy and dress like 'I' want. If I'm fortunate(?) to live long enough until I must be dressed by someone..then I guess they can pick my coat of the day in order for me to look just right. :cool2: [huh]

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
As a bit of a fatty myself I think I am ok to say this.
The classic British Beer Belly does not take kindly to being clothed in any form, much better than naked mind but it, as others have said is not a flattering look and cannot be disguised by 'coolness'.
Whenever I go out I always check myself in the mirror, not for vanity but just to make sure I am happy with myself in my Highwayman or what other jackets I wear.
Guess I find it real hard to loose any weight, though I am not too fat in the bacon sandwich department I would hate to think I looked to like an old man trying to re capture my lost youth in short jackets.
Keep wearing em', John

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
I know this sounds way crazy..but I tend to buy and dress like 'I' want. If I'm fortunate(?) to live long enough until I must be dressed by someone..then I guess they can pick my coat of the day in order for me to look just right. :cool2: [huh]

Van, your preference sounds about right to me as well as Wilbur's. I have more of a tendency to buy and dress for my own taste, not that my Better Half's opinions don't matter. My wife doesn't like side buckles, such as are on Indiana Jones, Highwayman, and 50's HB jackets. However, there is just no other recourse for the situation!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran