Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Top Hat. Costume?

Orgetorix

Call Me a Cab
Ok, so I've been thinking something over, and I thought I'd see what my friends at the Fedora Lounge think. I'm getting married in December, and as it's a daytime formal wedding, I'm going to be wearing a morning coat. That's unusual enough these days, at least in the US, where most men have gone to wearing some manner of tuxedo even for daytime formal events. But now that you gents have got me into hats, I'm thinking about trying to find a black top hat to wear. I've seen one or two on Ebay in my size (7 3/8), though they've been pricey. Are top hats too far into the realm of costume? Are they long dead and gone as a men's accessory, or are they merely archaic and unusual, like fedoras? It bears mentioning that I have never seen any man wearing one in a serious setting. Ever. I think that's what makes me hesitant--I'm afraid I will just look ridiculous today, even though it would be an outfit that would have been perfectly common in 1935.

What do you think?

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Not common now at all, anywhere. More common in the UK than in the U.S.A., that's for sure.

Wear it if it makes you feel good. No doubt it will look good, and your wedding may be the only time in your life when you can get away with wearing one outside of a costume ball.

The Duke

One of the Regulars
If you can pull it off, I say go for it. If not go for the bowler, I always wear it to weddings and get nothing but compliments.

Haversack

One Too Many
I would say to do it if you are comfortable with it. Both I and about half-a-dozen friends all have morning suits and top hats, and as we have all managed over the past ten years to get married to wonderful women, we have had many occassions to wear them. Some of our hats are vintage silk. Others are reproduction fur felt. I do have to say that will be looked at wearing a top hat. But if you are dressed in keeping with it, you'll feel like a million bucks and will carry it off.

Haversack.
who, while wearing his morning suit, once went to the local farmers' market early on a Saturday morning to pick up a side of smoked salmon to take to the reception later that day. The fisherman still remembers the top hat.

moustache

Practically Family
A bowler might work

but then again it really depends on the person and his tux.I wore this outfit to a moustache competiton last summer.Not the best photograph but i did receive many compliments.
Wish i had worn a top hat though.

JD

Chapineveningdress.jpg

Russ

One of the Regulars
Imagine looking at your wedding photo album 20 years from now. Will you regret not wearing a top hat on this once-in-a-lifetime occasion?

RaasAlHayya

A-List Customer
I would say that if it is practical for you to do so, then wear it!

However, I wonder when during the wedding you should wear it...is it appropriate for the bridegroom to wear a hat during the ceremony? What if the ceremony is in a church? In a park? On a train? Would you, could you, in the rain...[/Dr. Suess] :p

What about during the reception...in the receiving line...while you throw the garter? What are the etiqutte guidelines about gentlemen wearing hats while throwing undergarments?

Wow, I never knew bridegrooms had so much to think about! lol

Congratulations on your upcoming wedding...may you and your lady have many years of happiness!

--Leslie

Blackhorse

One of the Regulars
I'm thinking that a Bowler would be less formal and not quite right with the Morning coat concept (?). I'd go for the topper.

Looking around the web, as I do, I've noticed that there is one "arena" in which a top hat is still used...equestrian. Check out some "horse sites" or something like that...call and chat with operators of horse gear places (if there ARE some such in your area). You know, saddles, bridles, gear and tack, etc. (?).

Also...check out this link:

http://www.everythingaustralian.com.au/shopexd.asp?id=250&ccode=1560&cat_id=2

AND

http://www.hatsdirect.com/cgi/products.cgi?view=51&returncat=Fedora+Hats&returnpage=0

Well, anyway, congrats...and good luck!

Happy Stroller

One of the Regulars
If your're wearing Morning Dress for your Big Day, do wear a top hat while outdoors. You'll look real handsome provided you remember to wear a pair of gloves, too. All the ladies and gentlemen attending your wedding will certainly be impressed because you're the best dressed, if not the teallest looking, man on that day. Also, remember to use a romantic red rose, or whatever, as your boutonniere. A silver (grey) Macclesfield wedding tie should make your outfit complete.

katiemakeup

Practically Family
Orgetorix said:
Ok, so I've been thinking something over, and I thought I'd see what my friends at the Fedora Lounge think. I'm getting married in December, and as it's a daytime formal wedding, I'm going to be wearing a morning coat. That's unusual enough these days, at least in the US, where most men have gone to wearing some manner of tuxedo even for daytime formal events. But now that you gents have got me into hats, I'm thinking about trying to find a black top hat to wear. I've seen one or two on Ebay in my size (7 3/8), though they've been pricey. Are top hats too far into the realm of costume? Are they long dead and gone as a men's accessory, or are they merely archaic and unusual, like fedoras? It bears mentioning that I have never seen any man wearing one in a serious setting. Ever. I think that's what makes me hesitant--I'm afraid I will just look ridiculous today, even though it would be an outfit that would have been perfectly common in 1935.

What do you think?

Oh I think that would be perfect!! Not silly at all especially if your attire is of the same era...

Although, Slash seems to make it look effortless!

Happy Stroller

One of the Regulars
RaasAlHayya said:
I would say that if it is practical for you to do so, then wear it!

However, I wonder when during the wedding you should wear it...is it appropriate for the bridegroom to wear a hat during the ceremony? What if the ceremony is in a church? In a park? On a train? Would you, could you, in the rain...[/Dr. Suess] :p

What about during the reception...in the receiving line...while you throw the garter? What are the etiqutte guidelines about gentlemen wearing hats while throwing undergarments?

Wow, I never knew bridegrooms had so much to think about! lol

Congratulations on your upcoming wedding...may you and your lady have many years of happiness!

--Leslie
====================== End of quote =====================
If the ceremony is outdoors, under a temporary tent, etc., I think the groom should put on his tophat and gloves. Whenever he is indoors, he should take off the hat, hold on to it until he can hand it over to one of the ushers for safekeeping, but not take off his gloves unless he is sitting down for a meal.

In any case, whether to take off the top hat or to wear it is only part of the P's and Q's. The real important point is to incorporate the top hat in the wedding and presere record of its use for memory sake. Even if the groom doesn't really wear it indoors, he could put it on for the official wedding photographing sessions when he's wearing Morning Dress.

If the groom feels terribly alone wearing the top hat, get the rest of his official party (bestmen, dad and bride's dad) to wear top hats too. That should make it a great official wedding photograph, I'd guarantee.

Micawber

A-List Customer
Top hats are still worn (or at least carried) for a lot for formal weddings over here and can be seen on a number of other occasions including some horse racing and equestrian events. I own several and wore one with full morning dress for my own wedding years ago and expected the other gentlemen in full fig to have one too.

Under the right circumstances a well polished topper and morning dress always cuts a dash and rarely fails to impress. I say go for it ;)

Tony in Tarzana

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Marc Chevalier said:
Not common now at all, anywhere. More common in the UK than in the U.S.A., that's for sure.

Wear it if it makes you feel good. No doubt it will look good, and your wedding may be the only time in your life when you can get away with wearing one outside of a costume ball.

Or at Friday dinner at the QM, I'm hoping.

Making memories!

I do think that if you give the top hat a shot and attempt to follow the 'rules' for formal dress, you will be rewarded with a truly memorable wedding day.

Just remember that nearly every wedding has some type of boo-boo that occurs, remember then that it is about the joining of 2 people and that is the important part. So when the boo-boo comes, take a deep breath and go on as best you can, you'll really get to laugh about it later.

The spirit of the occassion should carry things well. You could always change your mind and ask every man to come in full Scottish military dress kilts or something like that. I seem to recall re-enactors doing full civl war marriges and such so your formal wear approach is not a stretch at all.

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
TOP HAT

Orgetorix said:

What do you think?

THIS IS YOUR LUCKY DAY!

I have a Christy's of LONDON Black beaver TOP HAT in 7 3/8.

I will LEND IT TO YOU, if you pay the shipping both ways and promise that you will send it back! And guarantee that you will pay for it if you damage it, loose it, or whatever. AND DON"T WEAR IT OUT IN THE RAIN.

And how's that? You can guess that the hat will ship for $10 or $15 each way.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy