Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Top Secret Hats is closing down

MJH

New in Town
Very sad to see that www.topsecrethats.com is closing down. Does anyone know why? They've never let me down with my orders and have given impeccable service - more than can be said for most! They still have the Adventurers & Swerfords available but it seems not for much longer and only in sable. I'm about to fill my basket with bargain hats/caps!
:(

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
On reason is the service they gave. I ordered a hat last year in one color and they were out, so they just took it upon themselves to send me one of another color, since they had plenty in that color. And when I complained they said they'd refund my money, but not the shipping costs for the original order, nor the cost of sending it back. So I simply stopped doing business with them. I guess a lot of folks did the same.

MJH

New in Town
I'm really surprised to hear that Blackthorn. I found their service faultless.

Anthony Jordan

Practically Family
Yes, I always found their UK service very good, whilst what Blackthorn describes is appaling. What saddens me is that I will no longer be able to get their Swerford, which struck me as being my ideal hat. Alas.

MJH

New in Town
Does anyone know what is happening to Top Secret Hats? The closing down message on their website is somewhat mysterious. Is someone else taking it on or are they changing tack with their products? Are any of you in dealings with them?!

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
Does anyone know what is happening to Top Secret Hats? The closing down message on their website is somewhat mysterious. Is someone else taking it on or are they changing tack with their products? Are any of you in dealings with them?!
Never again.

XB234C

New in Town
Christy's Hats is still in business. I thought they and Top Secret were one and the same but I guess not.

Anthony Jordan

Practically Family
Top Secret retail hats from Christy amongst others but they are not one and the same. AFAIK TSH are a spin-off from Hornet's (London vintage clothing store) new hat business. At the moment I am assuming that they are going for good until I hear otherwise. I believe that they are still taking orders for Adventurers and Swerfords for the next three days, and if you ask them nicely, they *may* be willing to take orders for colours other than sable. I have orders for two hats in.

MJH

New in Town
Thanks Anthony. I didn't realise they might still take orders for colours other than the Sable. I may try for a Silver Swerford.

Anthony Jordan

Practically Family
You didn't hear it from me (unless of course they are grateful for the custom, in which case you did!) You're very welcome in any case. I didn't know myself but thought there was nothing to lose by asking. I too am ordering a Swerford in Silver Grey, and another in Elm.

WesternHatWearer

A-List Customer
UPDATE: This company is still open.

This is taken from their webpage: "NEWS...

We are very pleased to announce that Top Secret Hats will be staying open! Our great hat website has got new owners who have many years experience in the world of hats. Top Secret Hats will be selling an even bigger range of hats than ever before all at fantastic prices. Please keep checking the website over the next few weeks to see our great new range of hats!!"

Just in case you wished to know.

B1ggles

Familiar Face
On reason is the service they gave. I ordered a hat last year in one color and they were out, so they just took it upon themselves to send me one of another color, since they had plenty in that color. And when I complained they said they'd refund my money, but not the shipping costs for the original order, nor the cost of sending it back. So I simply stopped doing business with them. I guess a lot of folks did the same.
I certainly don't like the look of their Terms & Conditions, which seem to give them a rather unnecessary amount of wiggle-room. In addition, they give no geographical address or phone number, and I dislike dealing with companies that hide away.

5. Refunds
No hat will be eligible for a refund or replacement if the labels have been removed.
We want you to be satisfied with your purchase. If in the unlikely event that goods you are supplied with are faulty, then we will issue you with a replacement (or refund should a replacement not be available), subject to the labels still being in place.

6. Open Crown Hats
Where stated, hats are open crown so you can shape it to your liking. These hats are not 'bashed' on your behalf, as the probability of it not being how the customer envisages it is too great. There are some great instructions on how to do it on the web.

7. Hat Measurements
Trilby and Fedora crown measurements are taken when the hat is open crown (before creasing). We are at the mercy of our manufacturers and as many of the hats are hand-crafted products, there can be slight discrepancies in the measurements. Block crown heights also vary for each head size.

8. Fur and Wool Felt Colours
It is notoriously difficult to portray colours accurately on screen as different computers will show slightly different colours. We have done our best to show accurate colours of the hats. Fur and wool felt can vary slightly in colour and thickness between batches.

WesternHatWearer

A-List Customer
I certainly don't like the look of their Terms & Conditions, which seem to give them a rather unnecessary amount of wiggle-room. In addition, they give no geographical address or phone number, and I dislike dealing with companies that hide away.

5. Refunds
No hat will be eligible for a refund or replacement if the labels have been removed.
We want you to be satisfied with your purchase. If in the unlikely event that goods you are supplied with are faulty, then we will issue you with a replacement (or refund should a replacement not be available), subject to the labels still being in place.

6. Open Crown Hats
Where stated, hats are open crown so you can shape it to your liking. These hats are not 'bashed' on your behalf, as the probability of it not being how the customer envisages it is too great. There are some great instructions on how to do it on the web.

7. Hat Measurements
Trilby and Fedora crown measurements are taken when the hat is open crown (before creasing). We are at the mercy of our manufacturers and as many of the hats are hand-crafted products, there can be slight discrepancies in the measurements. Block crown heights also vary for each head size.

8. Fur and Wool Felt Colours
It is notoriously difficult to portray colours accurately on screen as different computers will show slightly different colours. We have done our best to show accurate colours of the hats. Fur and wool felt can vary slightly in colour and thickness between batches.

They definitely do not come across as customer friendly, according to their policies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24