Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tough guys wear flat caps

carldelo

One Too Many
Check out the cover of a book I picked up recently - Kayaks of Greenland by Harvey Golden:

KOGwebcover.jpg

"Cover: A hunter from Arsuk (between Paamiut and Qaqortoq) with a seal in tow and a light dusting of snow. 1937, Photographer: Jette Bang / Arktisk Institut (gjb02548)"

Yep, you can see the seal (his dinner?) floating in the water in the foreground. It's amazing that this guy is so tough he only needs a flat cap to keep warm while paddling in seriously cold conditions, no ear flaps in view. No life vest either, BTW. As I understand it, since they were wedged so tightly into the boats and the water is so cold, the only way to survive a capsize (seals often take the kayak on a 'ride' after getting harpooned) is to Eskimo roll back up. If you come out of the boat and have to swim, you ain't gonna make it anyway, so a flotation vest is pointless.

It's a great book, by the way, all you ever needed to know about Greenlandic kayak design evolution.
I should plug the book, since I'm borrowing the photo:
http://www.traditionalkayaks.com/AboutKOG.html

Woodfluter

Practically Family
Wow Cardelo, thank you for this!

I'm a canoeist and kayaker with a (longtime) interest in the Inuit originals. Spent hours back in the late 60s :eek: reading old ethnographic reports on that in the university library. I might have to get this book.

Yep, them guys are hardy. Your comments about life vests and survival in that environment are very apt. My Norse ancestors faced similar issues in open boats on the north sea - no point in going back for anyone that fell overboard, by the time you turned about to pick them up it'd be too late!

In contrast to the modern kayaks, the Inuit versions have been described as a vessel that you wore, not something you occupied. Often tailored to the individual for exact fit. Amazing and completely original to those people.

...Oh yeah, love the flat cap!

- Bill

Slouch-Hat

Familiar Face
Flat caps rock! From AC/DC's Brian Johnson to Eric Powell's 'The Goon,' flat caps are the signature head wear of kick-ass bad boys! I wish I had a few more.

Dewhurst

Practically Family
I'm rolling in flat caps as we speak.;)

Flat caps are truly great hats as far as looks and comfort go. The cool clean look of a traditional five point flat cap is grand!

CopperNY

A-List Customer
my Hanna herringbone looks a little out of place with body armor, but it's my lucky charm when it's time to bust doors.

or, when paired with a leather car coat, i elicit "Irish thug" comments from my wife.

go ahead, knock it off. i dare you:

QM_080502013115694_wideweb__300x375.jpg

also, the Inuit are amazing. i never tire of seeing how humans can adapt to their surroundings.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Woodfluter said:
In contrast to the modern kayaks, the Inuit versions have been described as a vessel that you wore, not something you occupied. Often tailored to the individual for exact fit. Amazing and completely original to those people.

Yupik%20hunting%20hat%20kayak%20gear%20harpoon%20Nunivak%20Curtis%20LC-USZ62-13912.jpg

A Yup’ik hunter in a kayak, ready to throw a dart using a throwing board. He wears a hunting hat and gut parka. His equipment also includes a boat sled (rear), paddles, and a float board (front) holding additional line attached to the dart. Nunivak Island, southwest Alaska, c1928.

Photo by Edward S. Curtis, courtesy of the Library of Congress,

carldelo

One Too Many
Woodfluter said:
Wow Cardelo, thank you for this!

I'm a canoeist and kayaker with a (longtime) interest in the Inuit originals. Spent hours back in the late 60s :eek: reading old ethnographic reports on that in the university library. I might have to get this book.

Yep, them guys are hardy. Your comments about life vests and survival in that environment are very apt. My Norse ancestors faced similar issues in open boats on the north sea - no point in going back for anyone that fell overboard, by the time you turned about to pick them up it'd be too late!

...Oh yeah, love the flat cap!

- Bill

Hey Woodfluter, you might be interested in these links:

Qajaq USA, the US branch of the Greenland Kayak Club. There is a great forum there on traditional and modern skin boat building and paddling.
http://www.qajaqusa.org

Two summers ago I spent a week in Oregon building a skin boat at Cape Falcon. Brian runs classes building Greenland kayak replicas and modern designs. I built an SC-1, a 30lb skin boat in a week - a sweet ride, and his F-1 is even better:
http://www.capefalconkayak.com/

If you're a DIYer, you can build your own skin boat from free plans by Tom Yost, many designs to choose from:
http://www.yostwerks.com
Last summer I built a boat of my own design using his methods. You can build a Yost skin boat for less than $300, and it will be lighter than a $3000 carbon fiber boat. Once you build one you'll be hooked, it's as bad as hats (takes up a lot more room too).

Tomasso - nice picture of the Baidarka - shows how different Aleut kayaks are from Greenland boats.

CopperNY - thanks for the picture of that stylin' cork pfd! That's definitely a keeper - my students are going to love that one...

Slouch-Hat

Familiar Face
Fletch, you've inspired me. I am heading out to meet some old friends for coffee later today and was wondering what hat to wear. I think I'll grab my Wilson's leather flat cap in distressed brown. It'll work well with my bomber jacket.

Slouch-Hat...

Mahagonny Bill

Practically Family
...but their sidekicks wear Fedoras.

Speaking of tough guys in flat caps, I can't resist posting this:
the-goon.jpg

The Goon and his faithful sidekick Frankie.
For more depression era, zombie fighting, "Knife to the Eye" fun check out The Goon comics.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran