Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tragedy with a fortunate ending...

Carlisle Blues

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Aureliano said:
Carlisle Blues said:
DUDE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Bill your b-b-boss on her wedding day lol

l/QUOTE]
I would have waited until she returned to work from her honeymoon. I'm not a jerk CB!lol :eek: :p

I know you are not a jerk, but, I am. I would have not waited...I would call Orlando......get a price ........pluck then dough the wedding gift....and eat two desserts on top of it...one for my me and one for my hat....;) ;) ;) :D

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
Carlisle Blues said:
Aureliano said:
I know you are not a jerk, but, I am. I would have not waited...I would call Orlando......get a price ........pluck then dough the wedding gift....and eat two desserts on top of it...one for my me and one for my hat....;) ;) ;) :D
Ha ha!lol we're both EVIIIL!

marvelgoose

One of the Regulars

High Pockets

Practically Family
It's a shame restaurants no longer care to provide a means for respectable patrons to store a nice hat.

I might suggest carrying the new "High Pockets Portable Hat Rack"

CoRect_IC-80.jpg

Just slam it in the wall of your choice and hang your hat.
Works in most wall surfaces.
Doubles as a "persuader" if the staff chooses to protest.:D

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
High Pockets said:
It's a shame restaurants no longer care to provide a means for respectable patrons to store a nice hat.

I might suggest carrying the new "High Pockets Portable Hat Rack"

CoRect_IC-80.jpg

Just slam it in the wall of your choice and hang your hat.
Works in most wall surfaces.
Doubles as a "persuader" if the staff chooses to protest.:D

Sign me up for a couple of those!:p

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
Aureliano said:
So, last night my wife and I were invited to my boss' wedding. Great stuff. I wore my silverbelly Borsalino beaver.
At the table I had it under the chair (beautiful carpert floor). Towards the end, when they told us to go to another salon to enjoy a digestif, I put my hat brim down on my chair and tucked the chair under the table. minutes later, while I'm hanging out at the table with the drinks, my wife comes literally with tears in her eyes. She had my hat in her hands. The waiter, in a split second, had spilled coffee all over it.:eek: :rage: :eek: :eek:

I'm glad to hear your story had a happy ending. I know that you're supposed to take your hat off indoors, and I do whenever possible; however, when we take hats to nice places, there generally isn't anywhere to place them, as you've noted - and the servers, bartenders, etc, aren't used to having to avoid a hat. I took mine off at a cafe and every time the waitress refilled my cup, coffee splattered on it - no matter where I tried to hide it. So now I just wear it indoors unless there's a safe place to sit it. This isn't 1950, and I think hat etiquette has to be modified.

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
ScottF said:
I'm glad to hear your story had a happy ending. I know that you're supposed to take your hat off indoors, and I do whenever possible; however, when we take hats to nice places, there generally isn't anywhere to place them, as you've noted - and the servers, bartenders, etc, aren't used to having to avoid a hat. I took mine off at a cafe and every time the waitress refilled my cup, coffee splattered on it - no matter where I tried to hide it. So now I just wear it indoors unless there's a safe place to sit it. This isn't 1950, and I think hat etiquette has to be modified.

thanks man. I would have just wore the hat but this wedding was very traditional super roman catholic. I'm actually very surprised she invited an open, blunt atheist like me.

tempestbella42

One of the Regulars
QUOTE=Carlisle Blues]
I meant the caterers or restaurant..............ayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy:eek: :eek:lol[/QUOTE][

surely you could bill the caterers/restaurant...as a caterer, i expect to be billed if i spill coffee down someone attending an event!! :)
when i was younger , a friend spilt burttered peas all down the lady mayoress dress and had to pay cleaning! A hat deserves as much compensation....if not more as they didnt provide a "cloakroom" or hat rack for guests!!:confused:

carldelo

One Too Many
Years ago I was on Amtrak cross-county. I was snoozing with my hat (NOS Cavanagh in 7-3/4) on the seat next to me. I woke to find that a fellow passenger's big Thermos (old style with a cork) had leaked from the overhead luggage rack onto my hat - the teardrop and the brim were fully filled with coffee! I freaked out quietly and managed to get it to the WC and gave it a soaking wash. The passenger was extremely sorry and gave me a sawbuck to get the hat cleaned later, but when it had dried out there was no stain - I couldn't believe it - I wound up keeping the $20 as the passenger either got off or moved to another car. It's amazing what a good fur-felt will stand up to.

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
carldelo said:
It's amazing what a good fur-felt will stand up to.

:eusa_clap That's exactly what I thought the next morning when I saw my hat spotless.
Maybe the key is to soak them right away.

carldelo

One Too Many
Aureliano said:
:eusa_clap That's exactly what I thought the next morning when I saw my hat spotless.
Maybe the key is to soak them right away.

Thinking back, I remember doing a lot of blotting with paper towels also, so maybe the soaking plus neurotic blotting is what got it clean. I can't remember if the white lining was stained or not, so I don't know if anything got through the felt. But a lining is not so important really....

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
carldelo said:
Thinking back, I remember doing a lot of blotting with paper towels also, so maybe the soaking plus neurotic blotting is what got it clean. I can't remember if the white lining was stained or not, so I don't know if anything got through the felt. But a lining is not so important really....

In mine it didn't get to the liner. And I also used paper towels, lots of them but, instead of bloating, I actually scrubbed the hat. Frantically, of course:p

fluteplayer07

One Too Many
Idea...

...And for those of you who know me, that's a scary thing!

*Ahem*

Has anyone thought of taking a plastic grocery bag (the medium size that we use as garbage bags, or get from garage sales); and in a restaurant, sticking a hat in that and tying it shut, and putting that under your seat? It's small and packable, waterproof, spill-proof, (but a bit corny). Or if you want to get fancy, buy one of those cheap tie-shut colorful nylon tote/stuff bags that folds for your pocket? It has to sit on the ground (or if you're in a casual restaurant tie it to the back of your seat), but at least it protects a hat from most dangers, except crushing. Opinions?

Pompidou

One Too Many
A restaurant would have to be of a not too modest caliber for me to bother taking my hat off. I figure, pragmatically, that the rules of hat etiquette died with hats. I honor the rules if they're convenient, or beneficial to me, after all, half the fun is the showmanship of it all, but I don't feel bound to them the way people were a decade or two ago or so.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran