Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Transatlantic Clothing Group Highwayman

robrinay

One Too Many
My latest find - I've never seen this label - can anyone advise? apologies for the rubbish pics I was excited.

Last edited:

Plumbline

One Too Many
It's very similar to the label on the early "Highwayman Deluxe" jackets .. similar style and typeface. The zipper ( Talon ?) and the steerhide suggest a small run batch, late 80's early 90's but I'm sure Cloudylemonade will have greater info and records.

robrinay

One Too Many
Thanks for that Plumbline - yes it's a brass Talon 'identically similar' to those on my Aero A2 and other (heavier steerhide) Highwayman.
Rob

Hide'n'seek

One of the Regulars
This is an early Aero ,the label dates from 1987.
When we moved to the large Moffat factory we started training machinist in bulk, all their early jackets were fitted with a printed leather label bearing the brand name “MIRACLE LEATHERS” and the legend “When it’s a good jacket, it’s a Miracle”…………….read it a couple of times :>)
As soon as a machinist improved enough to deserve a better label they went onto these “Riders In The Storm” labelled jackets until we felt they reached “Aero” level
Most “Riders” jackets were sold off in Camden Market .

If anyone has or ever uncovers a “Miracle Leather” we’d love one for our archives.

robrinay

One Too Many
It's in nearly new condition and fits like my 44" steerhide highwayman but it is made from lighter weight leather with a cotton tartan lining. I'll weigh them both in the morning and let you know the results.

Last edited:

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
This is an early Aero ,the label dates from 1987.
When we moved to the large Moffat factory we started training machinist in bulk, all their early jackets were fitted with a printed leather label bearing the brand name “MIRACLE LEATHERS” and the legend “When it’s a good jacket, it’s a Miracle”…………….read it a couple of times :>)
As soon as a machinist improved enough to deserve a better label they went onto these “Riders In The Storm” labelled jackets until we felt they reached “Aero” level
Most “Riders” jackets were sold off in Camden Market .

If anyone has or ever uncovers a “Miracle Leather” we’d love one for our archives.

I would doubt few of these made it to the States? What is Camden Market?

When I think of a Highwayman I think of black Steerhide. I am quite envious of your new Jacket and a 44. I would be interested in their weight. I have an earlier steerhide Highwayman I'm very fond of.

Terry

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Camden market is a famous collection of market stalls in Camden Town where you can get all kinds of retail goods - crafts, food, clothing, etc and where Aero used to distribute their goods.

robrinay

One Too Many
My Aero steerhide Highwayman weighs 2.37 kilos and the new 'Riders' highwayman weighs a Summer weight 1.97 kilos. Here is a close up of the leather on the Riders jacket

Edward

Bartender
Sounds like it was a lighter-weight hide used to train new machinsts before they moved on to the more challenging, thicker stuff. Seems these jackets were a forerunner of the modern-day "Apprentice Made" jackets, which now have their own label (featuring Robin Hood, as I recall). My HWM was one of the first run of "apprentice-made" jackets since the change in management, and as such it predates the trainee label, bearing instead the 'Blue Label' now reserved for specials and one-ofs, such as the mixed-design jackets Aero have made here and there using part-completed fronts / back they had in stock, found during stocktaking.

I'm assuming "Riders in the Storm" is a nod to Ken's sixties rock days? (i.e. Riders on the Storm, by the Doors).

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
"Riders on the Storm" was released in '71, but I hear you. I like that thinner leather and would have snapped one of those up if I'd ever seen one at any market I went to.

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
Camden market is a famous collection of market stalls in Camden Town where you can get all kinds of retail goods - crafts, food, clothing, etc and where Aero used to distribute their goods.
Camden market as Seb describes, is still in existence but now caters mainly to the 'Vintage tourist'(yes, I made that word up;) ), that is those willing to pay inflated prices because they have seen some pop, film or sports star wearing some old clothing bought at these stores.
Once upon a time, before 'vintage' was chic, these markets catered for us youngsters that were into all those old clothes that dad, mum, granny and granddad threw out. Now second hand clothing can be big business, as well as reproductions such as Aero produce because not everyone wants sweat stained old bike jackets.
I first spotted Aero's jackets for sale in the old 'Bluebird' garage during the mid 1980s on the Kings Road after they gave up Battersea for Scotland. I thought they were fantastic but could never afford a Highwayman till around 12 years ago.
J

Edward

Bartender
"Riders on the Storm" was released in '71, but I hear you. I like that thinner leather and would have snapped one of those up if I'd ever seen one at any market I went to.

Jinkies, I always forget it was that late! I tend to like chunky leathers, but the drape of the HWM works better in so ething a bit more relaxed, imo.

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
My Aero steerhide Highwayman weighs 2.37 kilos and the new 'Riders' highwayman weighs a Summer weight 1.97 kilos. Here is a close up of the leather on the Riders jacket

The nice light weight makes it even more interesting. I was wearing a vintage Hercules windbreaker weight today, quite light and perfect for the weather. The lining on this jacket is eye catching as well. Get it on and do some pictures.

Terry

Downunder G Man

One Too Many
Reinvigorating this old thread as I have just bought a "
Transatlantic Highwayman 2.jpg
Riders in the Storm" jacket out of Scotland

Transatlantic Highwayman 1.jpg
Transatlantic Highwayman 4.jpg
Transatlantic Highwayman 3.jpg

Downunder G Man

One Too Many
I am actually hoping that this jacket is "neater" cut than the current Highwayman as I find a 44" in recent Aero jackets well a bit "roomy" !

I currently have a very young Blue label Highwayman ( ex Alex Lutov thanks) and it is way roomy compared to my Schott or Simmons Bilt collection.

( Both of my Simmons Bilt offerings fit me "better/neater" than the Aero Blue label. From my readings on the subject that is indeed the case with recent Aero Highwayman renditions )

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters