Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Transmitting your own signal

FedoraGent

One Too Many
CKFarnsworth and I both had ours adapted by Audio Imports LTD.

I have bought a total of three AM radios, one a vintage console stereo from John at Audio Imports LTD in Arcadia, CA. He does repair work and is EXCELLENT at what he does. He fixed my 1937 Meissner that is rather rare as it was made during the war and each was made by hand. He is a great guy and does indeed do repairs if you ship it to him. I have two radios that I have had adapted for use with iPod, external reel to reel, turntable and anything with a headphone plug (2.5 or 3.5mm plug). He has very reasonable prices and has been doing this for the last couple of decades. He's a one man shop with alot of quality. He does also sell NOS tubes/valves as well. He is a treasure and has considered closing his shop a couple of times due to the thought of reducing costs and working out of his home. Currently, I have a Philco that I am today bringing over to him to put the iPod cable on for me. I bring a little by at a time so that he can fix it and his regular customers keep him going. Each repair or addition is different per radio, but the addition of the "iPod cable" is usually under 100.00 but don't quote me on that. I suggest you folks use him. He has known Wild Root/Forgotten Man/Rob since he was a pup and I was referred by him to John.

Audio Imports LTD.
ATTN: JOHN
125 E Santa Clara St
Arcadia, California USA 91006-3236
(626) 447-3117

Give John a call, he's a great guy...heavy accent but speaks very good english. Probably one of the nicest men you'll ever have the pleasure of speaking with.

Scotrace, if you have a radio that needs the cable added or repair, give me a call and I can actually drive it over to him if you want to ship it to me.

Hope this helps folks, I haven't had anything of vintage worth to post in awhile so this feels good.

FG.

VintageVixie

woweewow said:
it ain't as cool and y'know, technical and inventive and unlazy and whatever, but this looks pretty neat and darling:

It's a nifty option for those who can't or would rather not mess with an old radio. Personally I like late 30s designs, they remind me of what Londoners had when The Blitz started, and often couldn't replace until after the war because of rationing and economy.

J.J. Gittes

A-List Customer
I'm picking up a Hoffman A300 that needs work next week, I am considering getting a cable attached or a AMT3000. I'll post pictures of everything.
Here's what it looks like.
Hoffman%20model%20A-300.jpg

BinkieBaumont

Rude Once Too Often
Sorry slightly orf topic, but I just bought one of these Gizmos to use with my Repro crosley on my night stand, now on stormy Winter nights I can snuggle up and listen to "Sorry Wrong Number" at $24.95 AUD its rather a bargain!

3335637399_a0b1c53d15_m.jpg

productLarge_9706.jpg

Pod FM Stereo Transmitter Adaptor with LCD

True plug and play technology. If you're tired of listening to songs that are overplayed on the radio, just plug in this adaptor and listen to Lux Radio Theatre, Charlie McCarthy, or anything YOU!! want to listen to. Set an open frequency in the FM Band (88-108MHz) on the unit then tune your radio station to the same frequency and play all the music from your iPod straight to your radio station. It is compatible with most iPod models currently available in the market and does not require any batteries.

http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=AR3112&keywords=fm+ipod+transmitter&form=KEYWORD

Sefton

Call Me a Cab
I'd love to see someone take a late 50s or early 60s transistor radio and fit an MP3 player into it so that the original dials could control it. If I had one I'd be playing some Miles and Nino Rota and maybe a little John Barry.

docneg

One of the Regulars
BinkieBaumont said:
Sorry slightly orf topic, but I just bought one of these Gizmos to use with my Repro crosley on my night stand, now on stormy Winter nights I can snuggle up and listen to "Sorry Wrong Number" at $24.95 AUD its rather a bargain!

3335637399_a0b1c53d15_m.jpg

I have had one of those repro Crosleys for years. If you want a look at an original, find a movie with Lloyd Nolan called "Michael Shayne, Detective". The radio is sitting on the heavy's desk in a couple scenes.

They didn't change a thing with the repro (except for the tape player, of course). I love that radio.

Bingles

A-List Customer
If they ever come up with an AM transmitter... I'm getting one!!! I have a 1941 Philco floor console radio, and love it. What I have been pondering doing was using the shelf inside where a phonograph player once was, and putting a small cd player/mp3 player inside... and running small speakers out the back. No one would be able to see the new system inside the old.

chrismak

Familiar Face
So really.. I just buy this transmitter.. hook the ipod and charging do to IT.. then hopefully my radio will pick up the signal on one of the bands..

no work required.. am I getting this right?

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Yup. You can use more or less any input, as long as it has an RCA plug output. It will transmit a weak AM signal with about a quarter mile range. You can set the transmitter to any frequency, but the one it comes set at should be OK. Then you tune the radio into that frequency. It's super neat.
But please make sure your Philco has had a good going over by a professional restorer, and at least had the capacitors replaced. Old tube radios had paper capacitors which are real fire hazards. They can be replaced by safer modern caps. Pics!!!

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
You can do the broadcasting thing, but also a good handy repair man would know how to attach a line out from your radio! You can run this out with a male end on it and plug it right into your ipod. You can put your iPod inside the large cabinet and never see a thing... not a tough thing to do. You may as well do that if the radio needs servicing. I have done this on a few of my radios, doesn't alter the radio's value, keeps it original and as long as the radio is in good strong working order, you'll enjoy the heck out of it!

All you have to do is plug the iPod to the line out, select what you want to hear on your menu, hit play and then turn your radio on. As the set warms up, you'll hear the show coming in... pretty neat trick!

ScionPI2005

Call Me a Cab
Gorgeous radio, chrismak. Thanks for posting a picture of it!

I too use the SSTran Lizzie mentioned for broadcasting music and radio shows. It works very well. However, the method ForgottenMan suggested works just as well too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner