Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Trapper Hats?

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
I seem to vaguely recall one several years ago, but I might be dreaming. Start one if you want and if there is an existing thread they will be merged at some point.m

The Wiser Hatter

I'll Lock Up
Here is one
stetson-starkville-mens-super-quality-trapper-hat.jpg

Not a fan of the style. For some reason became popular with the youth a couple of years ago.

SHOWSOMECLASS

A-List Customer
This fad I believe became popular again because of the snowboarder set. My daughter has one that is plaid on the outside. I remember my grandfather had a red vinyl trapper w/ fake red fur. About ten years ago, it was the Sherpa styled knit caps that were all the rage w/ the kids (snowboarders). My daughter had one of those also but no longer wears it. No longer cool, you know.
For those who don't know, many young skateboarders and surfers adopted snowboarding as their winter pastime. So whatever they wear says, "I'm so cool and I don't care how this looks". Keeping w/ the care-less quality of these cultures many kids will be wearing them and the knitted Radar O'Reilly or jeep cap in all colors again this winter. Notice this winter you will NOT see a kid wearing a trapper made of real leather, fur, wool or authentic patterns. But instead snowboard designers and or loud prints and and over the top colors.

winterland1

Practically Family
My hat is almost exactly like this one. Black leather with rabbit fur. I actually just put some Obernaufs on the leather recently as it was a little dry. Was not very expensive but is the warmest hat I have ever had. I would like to get another one like it but with beaver or fox fur. That fur is more expensive of course. I use it whenever it gets into the single digits and below here in Minnesota. Also if I am going to be outside for any length of time, icefishing, sliding etc. Have never had my ears or head feel cold with it.
I do not wear it for fashion but at the same time I do like the look of a real fur hat. A merino stocking cap the rest of the time in the winter.
fur hat.jpg

music321

New in Town
Trapper style hat

I'm going to buy a "trapper" hat for excursions onto a frozen windy lake this winter. I've narrowed the choices to the "Supplex Bomber with Rabbit Fur" by Mad Bomber and the "B-52 Aviator Hat with Rabbit Fur" by Fur Hat World.

Of concern to me are quality and buckles. I have a feeling that both hats are of reasonable quality. Fur Hat World "seems" to sell quality products, but I don't know. The Mad Bomber stuff is sold at LL Bean with mixed reviews (some mention fur becoming detached). As for the buckles, the Mad Bomber's are plastic, and the Fur Hat World's are metal. The advantage of metal is durability. The disadvantage is extreme coldness if my skin touches it. My gut feeling is that my chin/neck won't be touching it, but I don't know.

I'm looking for real fur with a synthetic shell. If anyone has any other suggestions at under $100, suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

winterland1

Practically Family
Mine pictured on the first page, has a plastic one. It has held up for many years. It does come unsnapped sometimes but no big issue. A metal one could touch the chin unless they have designed it not too. Haven't seen any with metal.
As I mentioned mine is rabbit and leather and was under 100 on eBay.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran