Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Traveling Vintage: Ladies edition!

Redlights

New in Town
I am going to europe some time this winter, for a few weeks. I would be doing this as a student, and on a budget (so things like housing, food, ect are pretty up in the air)

I want to continue to dress vintage while traveling, but I'm not sure how to do it! I can't cart around a crinoline (unless I wear it on the plain ride over ;) while I'm hopping around france and belgium but I want to still retain some of my at-home, I can spend an hour in the bathroom, glamour.

I also need to stay warm while I'm doing this!

Any hints, suggestions, or ideas?

texasgirl

One Too Many
I spent 6 weeks in Europe traveling to 10 countries a few years ago. If I can suggest one thing, pack light! I brought mix and match separates, and only had one bag, with a smaller backback that attached. I did laundry once a week or so. I saw other people at train stations and airports with all these bags and they just looked miserable. So I would pack essentials, one nice dress, and some matching separates. It also depends on what you'll be doing. But I was on a tight budget, so the dress I brought I never even wore because we couldn't afford to eat anywhere expensive-lol.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Don't vintage clothes need to be ironed, though? I'm not a traveller, but I would imagine that some good classic clothes made of thick fabric (which will be warm and stay smooth), such as full-cut slacks, sweaters, and maybe a tweedy jacket would be useful.

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
I backpacked through France in winter about 5 years ago and I can tell you IT WAS COLD! Not nearly as much in Paris as over by Strausbourg, but really- I ditto on the above and say pack as light as you can! It's a pain, unless you are going to be spending a lot of time in one place to bring more than one suitcase. I have an Eagle Creek backpack with detachable daypack I've used when travelling, but I'm thinking I'll get a rolling bag for my next trip, or a backpack with wheels since rolling over cobblestones isn't exactly the most graceful and quiet thing and running late for a train with a monster backpack isn't fun either!

When I went I packed basics, as Paisley suggested. I suggest layers- long sleeve tees you can wear under button up shirts, long underwear with slacks, sweaters that button or zip up or that have a V neck so you can peek your collar through, one good solid scarf in a solid neutral that goes with everything, a droopy beret or other hat that will keep your ears warm, heavy socks and decent walking shoes that aren't like "American" white sneakers. I got a great pair at Naturalizer when I went that I could wear with jeans or slacks. Throw in a skirt and a lightweight pair of heels that will match your basic button ups if you're planning on going out- and bring one heavy overcoat that you will wear on the plane that will also get you through all your travels whether casual or more dressy. I suggest, if you like prints, to only bring a few that can be mixed and matched with the basic solids you're bringing. And I don't know where you're staying, but I know a great Hostel in Paris if you're interested ;)

The thing about basics is just that- they're basic! There have been standards of dress since the 1930's and even though the cut is modern to the vintage eye you'll be surprised how vintage you can make yourself look simply by hair and makeup!

Rebecca D

One of the Regulars
As you can probably tell by my avatar, I love Scandinavian sweaters, which is a style I picked up when I moved to Andenes, way up past in the northern parts of Norway (burrrr). Those sweaters, as well as Irish wool sweaters, are incredibly warm and go very well with vintage looks. And you can build several outfits around 1 or 2 good looking sweaters (mix and match trousers and skirts), making your luggage much less heavy.

I would also suggest wool wraps for your head, which give that cute 40s – 50s ski look and would cut down on getting ready time (at least for your hair) and would keep your ‘do neatly in place all day.

You mentioned bringing a crinoline, but I can’t stress to you how much you’d regret that! Those things take up WAY too much space in your luggage and would be too uncomfortable to wear on the plane all the way to Europe. Plus, where there’s a crinoline there’s a circle skirt, and no person has any business traveling around windy Europe in the winter wearing a circle skirt unless she wants her dress to blow up and her underwear to accumulate ice. Don’t do it!

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
I'll second what Lauren said about layering to keep warm, wearing sensible shoes and wearing a warm hat. I'd also have an inexpensive pair of Thinsulate gloves (I tend to lose gloves). But living in Milwaukee, you must be familiar with dressing for winter weather.

I don't know if it rains much in France and Belgium in the winter, but if it does, I'd take my Tilley style hat with the drawstrings and my Tumi umbrella. The umbrella was $75, but it's the only backpack size umbrella I've had that didn't buckle after a few uses; I've had it about a year. It also has vents to keep it from flipping inside out in a strong wind.

If I were doing anything physical such as sightseeing, backpacking, walking through museums, etc., I'd go for comfort first, style second. If your feet are unhappy, you will be, too. And if you are cold, all you will think about is that you need to get warm.

Polka Dot

A-List Customer
Side note: Yes, it rains A LOT in northern/northwestern France and Belgium in the winter. Be sure to pack sturdy shoes and an umbrella.

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I am leaving for a trip to Rome and Venice in a little over a week, so I have done a lot of thinking about how I can travel light yet still have a vintage flair. I have come to terms with the fact that my hair will not be curled. I just won't have the time to do it, and honestly don't really want to spend hours in the bathroom when there is so much to see. So, since my trip falls right before the Queen Mary, and during that time I will be dressing vintage for four days straight, I am opting for modern day clothes with a vintage flair and vintage accessories.
I agree with what the other ladies have stated, layers are very important. For the most part, I am bringing a few pencil skirts and A-line skirts which I am planning on wearing with tight fitting cardigans or blouses. My shoes will not be vintage, for I'm going for comfort over style. I guess my point is, although I love to dress vintage, I still think it's possible to have a tailored look that is not made solely of vintage clothing. I will be bringing a couple of wool suits from the fourites that I have, one of which I will be flying in. I'm bringing a couple of pairs of trousers and two dresses. But, everything can be mixed an matched, so a few items can become many different outfits. Of course, my Burberry trench coat will be coming with me. I'm just not sure if I'm gonna bring the lining, that might just be too heavy and warm.
I love dressing vintage, but I'm willing to make a sacrifice for comfort and a lighter suitcase. So for me, since while I'm traveling I won't really have time to get my hair done in a vintage do, I'm not gonna be full out vintage. But, my skirts with sweater sets seem to me to be a good alternative. My goal, I just don't want to look sloppy. However, I will be bringing my funky black velour sweatsuit in the odd chance that we'll have some down time to just lounge around the room. Oh, and rain boots for Venice. I think my camel colored wool/cashemere skirt with a tight brown sweater and my frog rainboots will be the perfect outfit for Venice's rainy cool November days.
Pack light, bring things that you can mix and match. Add a vintage flair. I don't know if it's the same for you ladies, but I feel that when I dress in full vintage I need a lot more stuff than if I dress in modern clothes. Of course, I did buy a curling iron with the proper plug in it. It's small and collapseable so it won't be too much of a burden to put in my bag. Oh golly, I hope I don't regret not bringing a bunch of vintage clothes with me. But, there will be plenty of time to dress vintage at the QM....Hm, can you tell I'm also a little on the fence about what to do...Is it possible to pack light and dress vintage. Will pencil skirts and tight sweaters be enough of a vintage flair for me... Wow, confusing[huh]

RetroModelSari

Practically Family
I´m afraid you gonna freeze to death in a circle skirt unless you wear wollen stockings or pantyhose with it (and I´m not sure that would look good). Better take some cardigans and trowsers with you, a light jacket and a warm coat and just few dresses for special occassions. I don´t know how cold or rainy it is in France, but Belgium is more or less around the corner and it can get very cold and wet in winter...

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
I'm on the same bench- when I was in France in the winter as much as I love skirts I wore one to the Opera and froze my toosh off. If you're expecting to go somewhere fancier I suggest either packing a skirt that can be mix and matched with your day blouses or packing one dress which will match your overcoat- knit dresses that has some synthetic in it would be a good option because it wouldn't wrinkle as much. As far as fancier shoes I suggest steering clear of open toed styles- pick a pump or even a slingback and don't forget your tights!

When I went in the winter I packed 2 pairs of pants (one jean one black) about 2 long sleeve t shirts, 2 button up blouses, 2 sweaters, one overcoat, one skirt, one pair of walking shoes (which were on my feet) and one dress pair, one scarf, two hats, and one skirt. This was for a two-week trip. It did me rather well and I was actually mistaken for French on several occasions.

Plus, I had to leave room for the books and shopping at le Printemps! :)

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Tights

meh....

Buy tights there! In my every so humble opinion, tights are made much better in Europe. (at least they were in the UK, so milage may vary with country)

I -still- have pairs of Marks and Sparks 70 million denier tights....that are now 5 years old and are as new as they were when I bought them.

I say buy tights there.

Ccc

New in Town
Absolutely Travel Light

I travel with one carry-on. That's it. Mix and match, one to wear-one to wash-one to have ready, and one outstanding pair of shoes.

We did break that rule and added a diaper bag when we were traveling with an infant.

We have six children, and all of them have learned to pack light. If they cannot carry it themselves, then they cannot take it. This has worked traveling across several continents.

And, yes, each of them can do their own laundry in the hotel sink when necessary.:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo