Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Treasure of the Sierra Madre DVD

havershaw

Practically Family
after much arguing with various DVD store clerks as to whether or not this title had been actually released, all I had to do was walk into Best Buy to see a big giant display for this great double-disc set.

I'm guessing most of you guys have seen this movie...if you haven't, this is the way to see it. I suffered through crappy tapes and laserdiscs with bad transfers (the LD was better, but only marginally so) for many years. This DVD looks so great, I could hardly believe it was made in 1947.

Bogie is so great in this movie. This is one of my all-time favorite Bogie/Huston films. I'm surprised every time I watch it how grim it gets. I'm amazed at just how unattractive they allow their stars to get, and I'm also amazed that there's no love interest anywhere in the movie. Seems like that's not something that's done aften in mainstream cinema.

I'm also amazed that anyone wants to steal Bogie's hat...I guess it just goes to prove my time-worn theory: Bogie makes any hat, no matter the size, style, or color, look good. I hope I look that good in hats (not likely).

I haven't watched all of the extra features yet...but I just watched the movie and wanted to gush about it for a minute. Like I said, I had a hard time finding stores that would acknowledge its release (but then, my local DVD store also tried to tell me there was no double DVD Casablanca (I ended up buying that at Best Buy, too). savages.

mmarosy

One of the Regulars
I picked this up last weekend while I was "bacheloring it". I really like the way they set this DVD up. I watched it viewing the coming attraction, newsreel, cartoon, film short, then movie. What a clever idea to recreate that ol' time feel!

I had never seen the movie before and thoroughly enjoyed it. It didn't date itself at all. I was surprised to learn that Bogie didn't receive a nomination for his role. He was excellent, and so far removed from his "usual image".

Great movie and great DVD set!

Mike

Rundquist

A-List Customer
It?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s my favorite Bogie movie, bar none. Everyone in the film is great. The film is great. It?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s my kind of movie. Cheers

gobler

One of the Regulars
It's a great film. I need to pick it up as well. Also after watching it again, I noticed the name of the little kid who trys to sell lottery tickets..Bobby "Robert" Blake..yep the little kid who almost steals the seen with Bogi. Strange world.

Cheers,
Jeff

DNO

One Too Many
I love Walter Huston in this movie. As far as Humphrey Bogart is concerned...he's always worth watching. The Big Sleep, Key Largo, Beat the Devil, The African Queen, Casablanca...a Bogart performance is always excellent.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy