Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Trendy Guys in Trendy Fedoras

The Wingnut

One Too Many
Mr Maltby said:
I just wanted to interject I greatly enjoyed the thought of a cheap fedora being similar to a gateway drug.

...and it's true! I bought a beat up Dorfman-Pacific high-crowned untapered stingy and a wool Indy in an attempt to find a 'reasonably' cheap fedora before I finally dropped $65 on a gray '30s Knox and realized that it was 100 times the hat the other two were. I swore from that point on I'd seek out inexpensive vintage fedoras in good shape...and here I am now, almost 4 years later, with two gray fedoras, one tan, one brown, one green, a panama, and a homburg, all vintage and '40s or older. Three are Stetsons(two being Royal Stetsons), one's a custom shop job for a wealthy doctor, one's a MacLachlan, one's a Knox Fifth Ave Deluxe, and one's a Dobbs Fifteen. All primo stuff. I've turned from a laughable know-nothing to a snob!

Mr. Lucky said:
I beg to differ, on a couple of points -

First and foremost, the farmer pictured above would look like this -
1901_soy_farmer_mcfarling1_large.jpg

- today.

It's not a matter of what kind of hat, it's a matter of just having a hat. The ballcap IS the everyman hat of today! Not everyone wears it sideways, etc. My father in law wore a ballcap later in life just as he had wore a fedora prior - a hat was a hat was a hat. And he never left the house without one, that was the main thing.

As well, I have my young cousin staying with us and he went to great lengths to find just the right ballcap. There are numerous stores that specialize in all kinds of ballcaps, which he visited on his pursuit, just like the haberdasheries of yesteryear. There are fitted caps, just like there are fitted fedoras. The right cap means just as much today as the right fedora did back when.

Now, I'm not defending a lot of the trends that come and go, but I do have a problem with folks romanticizing a little too much with regards on how things used to be. There were those who spent many an hour picking out their headwear, and then there were the guys who went into the local Woolworths, picked out a hat, looked in the mirror, paid their five bucks and never thought about it again until they needed a new one. Not everyone was worried about everything all the time in regards to their 'style'. They put on a hat because it kept their head warm or out of the sun or because that's what they did - and many still do, just not with a fur felt, under welted, 2 5/8 inch brim with a grosgrain ribbon of less than two inches.

So, guys are now being exposed to a variation of the fedora again. Great. It works for some, not for others. But, hey, they are now available at Target! Not everyone really gives a crap now, just as they didn't then, about the 'quality' or the 'style' or the equivelency to 'what was'. They buy the hat because A. They like it OR B. They need it. And we, as regular wearers of hats and headwear, shouldn't be snobs or harp on 'what was', unfairly comparing it to 'what is'. We should encourage it. And, or if, some care to learn more, WE are the ones who have the knowledge and WE should share it - without sounding like uppity little prisses if the brim is less than two inches or if it's (Gasp!) made out of wool.

And, finally, I can name three contemporary actors that maintain their own classic, yet contemporary, style - Depp, Clooney, Cheadle.

Never heard of the last actor. Any pictures?
Depp is contemporary? Half of the hats he wears are just as vintage as the ones I wear. [huh] His style is pretty vintage for a contemporary dude. :D
Clooney puts on the Rat Pack image. It is a vintage look and is stylish but that is just three of the Celebrity throng. Years ago all of them had style---they even had to use their own clothes in movies---such as the case with Cary Grant. Style was requisite to being an actor/actress. Now it is just by chance.
I am not sure nobody cared what they looked like back then. :rolleyes: They put quite a lot of stock into keeping up with the Jones'. Even if you were poor you didn't want to appear as such. The peer pressure was enormous. Now the pressure is going in the reverse. Get out the jogging suit and the K-Fed hat on backwards. :rolleyes:
You also have to remember that the farmer was in work clothes. Not likely you would find him out digging a hole in a suit. The suit was for going into town on Sunday. Hats like the one you pictured are actually giveaways today from suppliers and such. It is actually cheaper to wear them than buy your own. Finances come first. In respect to utilitarian use, the fedora gives you ears better sun protection. However this thread is about trendy guys and farmers never were anywhere near that iconic status. :p

Regards,

J

Mr. Lucky

One Too Many
jamespowers said:
Never heard of the last actor. Any pictures?
Depp is contemporary? Half of the hats he wears are just as vintage as the ones I wear. [huh] His style is pretty vintage for a contemporary dude.
Clooney puts on the Rat Pack image. It is a vintage look and is stylish but that is just three of the Celebrity throng. Years ago all of them had style---they even had to use their own clothes in movies---such as the case with Cary Grant. Style was requisite to being an actor/actress. Now it is just by chance.
I am not sure nobody cared what they looked like back then. :rolleyes: They put quite a lot of stock into keeping up with the Jones'. Even if you were poor you didn't want to appear as such. The peer pressure was enormous. Now the pressure is going in the reverse. Get out the jogging suit and the K-Fed hat on backwards. :rolleyes:
You also have to remember that the farmer was in work clothes. Not likely you would find him out digging a hole in a suit. The suit was for going into town on Sunday. Hats like the one you pictured are actually giveaways today from suppliers and such. It is actually cheaper to wear them than buy your own. Finances come first. In respect to utilitarian use, the fedora gives you ears better sun protection. However this thread is about trendy guys and farmers never were anywhere near that iconic status. :p

Regards,

J
cheadle-don-photo-xl-don-cheadle-6232665.jpg

Don Cheadle

August_2000.jpg

Rat Pack? Partly. You sure didn't see Sinatra astride a hog in a t-shirt and construction boots that often, now did ya?

And as for Depp -
depp.jpg

Yeah, the hat's vintage, but that is about it. The rest is all him. Didn't see ol' Bogie sportin' many tats, huh?

Speakin' of the Old School -

Here's Bogie lookin' pretty cas out on the Santana. Wow! Not even a hat!
BB2.jpg

mcqueen.jpg

Gosh! McQueen without a tie on a motorcycle! Oh my heavens!

Guess that the bottom line is this - if you only look for the bad, all you're going to find is the bad.

Here's one more -
CaryGrant.jpg

No suit. No tie. No fedora. No shave. But ALL the style in the world.

I didn't say that the three you mentioned were any icons of style they just happen to look good once in a while. Compared to Bogart and McQueen the three you mention pale in comparison and make my point for me about how movie actors used to take pride in their appearance much more so than today. In fact, it was part of their contract with the studios. They taught them how to look stylish.:p The "fad artists" of today are just winging it and look it.
I have no idea who the last photo is of.

Regards,

J

Feraud

Bartender
The recent pictures are not convincing.
Vintage folks dressed that way because that was all they had. Unless they wanted to do Victorian and pre-Victorian styles! I do not think the era allowed much indivduality.
Today we have decades of styles to choose from and the freedom to do so. The fact the celebrities do not "dress up" or do vintage is quite understandable.
I would make an educated guess that members of this lounge do not wear vintage 24/7.
Btw, Cary Grant looks horrible in that picture. O.k. I said it! :eusa_clap

Mr. Lucky

One Too Many
jamespowers said:
I didn't say that the three you mentioned were any icons of style they just happen to look good once in a while. Compared to Bogart and McQueen the three you mention pale in comparison and make my point for me about how movie actors used to take pride in their appearance much more so than today. In fact, it was part of their contract with the studios. They taught them how to look stylish.:p The "fad artists" of today are just winging it and look it.
I have no idea who the last photo is of.

Regards,

J

There are always exceptions to the rule. And then there are those who are convinced that the exceptions ARE the rule. I don't agree with a good portion of the way people dress today - I am constantly telling my 20 yr. old charge to "pull up your pants". But I also heartily disagree that Hollywood doesn't have style - it may not have the style it used to. But, then again, it shouldn't. Times change, and so do wardrobes. But to make the blanket statement "actors used to take pride in their appearance much more so than today" is just patently false. I have been to these events and I have seen these people finely dressed. I have also seen many on the streets and while some do dress poorly, the majority do not. They dress in the manner becoming their position and above the standards set by most of society.

Sir, I think you're just a sort of "glass half empty" kind of person. And I am not casting aspersions on your character, just an observation. You don't find style today because I don't believe you want to find style today or the fact that styles do change and that not everyone will cater to the past as many believe they should.

Mr. Lucky said:
There are always exceptions to the rule. And then there are those who are convinced that the exceptions ARE the rule. I don't agree with a good portion of the way people dress today - I am constantly telling my 20 yr. old charge to "pull up your pants". But I also heartily disagree that Hollywood doesn't have style - it may not have the style it used to. But, then again, it shouldn't. Times change, and so do wardrobes. But to make the blanket statement "actors used to take pride in their appearance much more so than today" is just patently false. I have been to these events and I have seen these people finely dressed. I have also seen many on the streets and while some do dress poorly, the majority do not. They dress in the manner becoming their position and above the standards set by most of society.

Sir, I think you're just a sort of "glass half empty" kind of person. And I am not casting aspersions on your character, just an observation. You don't find style today because I don't believe you want to find style today or the fact that styles do change and that not everyone will cater to the past as many believe they should.

Wait a minute here. :eusa_doh: You agree with me and then proceed to disagree with yourself. :eusa_doh: Let's go through it.
You don't agree with a good portion of the way people dress today. Ok so far. Hollywood doesn't have the style it used to. Fine. Then you disagree with "actors used to take pride in their appearance much more so than today."
What gives? You already said it didn't have the style it used to. [huh]
In regard to them dressing above their position, there you went off the tracks. I have been to their events as well and they are severely lacking in any of the style that Hollywood used to have. They slap trendy things on and call them style--like a paper dress or a dress in the shape of a swan. :rolleyes: They once used to set the standard and now they are happy to follow behind the slovenly or slightly above it?! Whee! Well thank them for me.
Glass empty, glass full that means nothing to me and it has no bearing on the subject of trendy guys in trendy fedoras. In fact is completely :eek:fftopic: and you are :deadhorse with this same thing over and over again. To reiterate it further is ridiculous. We disagree. I can handle that but you aren't going to change my opinion by being obstreperous or capricious in your arguments. If you want to further discuss this then PM me rather than highjack the thread and harangue the same thing over and over in an area on a website dedicated to the golden era and then be shocked that you find people here that actually like the style, dress, cars, lifestyle and ideas of that self same period of time, Go figure. :rolleyes:

Regards to all,

J

Mr Maltby

One of the Regulars
also. i know you guys bag on kfed for his fedoras, but...could you imagine if he wore a vintage one???what kind of message would that send about all of us?? heh, let him have his pinstripes, boys.lol

Mr. Lucky

One Too Many
jamespowers said:
Wait a minute here. :eusa_doh: You agree with me and then proceed to disagree with yourself. :eusa_doh: Let's go through it.
You don't agree with a good portion of the way people dress today. Ok so far. Hollywood doesn't have the style it used to. Fine. Then you disagree with "actors used to take pride in their appearance much more so than today."
What gives? You already said it didn't have the style it used to. [huh]
In regard to them dressing above their position, there you went off the tracks. I have been to their events as well and they are severely lacking in any of the style that Hollywood used to have. They slap trendy things on and call them style--like a paper dress or a dress in the shape of a swan. :rolleyes: They once used to set the standard and now they are happy to follow behind the slovenly or slightly above it?! Whee! Well thank them for me.
Glass empty, glass full that means nothing to me and it has no bearing on the subject of trendy guys in trendy fedoras. In fact is completely :eek:fftopic: and you are :deadhorse with this same thing over and over again. To reiterate it further is ridiculous. We disagree. I can handle that but you aren't going to change my opinion by being obstreperous or capricious in your arguments. If you want to further discuss this then PM me rather than highjack the thread and harangue the same thing over and over in an area on a website dedicated to the golden era and then be shocked that you find people here that actually like the style, dress, cars, lifestyle and ideas of that self same period of time, Go figure. :rolleyes:

Regards to all,

J
Well...gosh.

RedPop4

One Too Many
Why we look to Hollywood for guidance on style is beyond me. I don't look to the Hollywood "elites" for substantive discussion, nor do I look there for cultured intelligence, why would I, then, look to these people for style? Most of them have nothing but contempt for my values, my tastes, etc. Why would I look to them for leadership in any endeavour?

Why the intelligent people here on this board give a fig is surprising to me, out here in "fly-over country."

RedPop4 said:
Why we look to Hollywood for guidance on style is beyond me. I don't look to the Hollywood "elites" for substantive discussion, nor do I look there for cultured intelligence, why would I, then, look to these people for style? Most of them have nothing but contempt for my values, my tastes, etc. Why would I look to them for leadership in any endeavour?

Why the intelligent people here on this board give a fig is surprising to me, out here in "fly-over country."

You definitely have many significant points there. :p
The real point was just pointing out the differences in style between now and then. You just pointed out that and a few others. :p I really don't give a fig. I just acknowledge the difference. :p

Regards,

J

RedPop4

One Too Many
I don't disagree with that at all, James. I'm just not sure why most intelligent folks like us "hang our hats" on those folks, that's all.

But you are right, those guys back then looked like a million bucks.

DocBob345

Familiar Face
I'm right there with you, RedPop. I don't look to these actors for much myself either. Unfortunately, there are others that do. It boggles my mind.

I do give them some scrutiny from time to time, just to kind of test the waters, so to speak, and steel myself for their next trend. I always hold out hope that the new trend will be a bit more sophisticated, or even miraculously classic.

I find year after year that when it comes to true style, they are left wanting.

Best,
Robert

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran