Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tried to recruit a new member to the lounge

Beowulf67

One of the Regulars
So I was in Memphis this weekend to celebrate National Tartan Day with some friends in the kilt society up there. One of the members is also into retro/rockabilly/vintage clothes, music etc.
I told him about the Lounge so hopefully he'll stop by and check it out.

alexandra

Practically Family
My brother saw me posting on here and saw some pictures and he was like "When I first see that I think 'why would someone my age buy these things' but then I realise you do because you're weird."

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
My old pal Dosher is quite interested in 1930s and 1940s and has a small collection of late 1950s narrow ties. He likes a lot of this stuff. But he's a Goth at heart, and a big misanthrope, so despite my cajoling he won't go on.

My wife is a film noir-head and loves most of the clothes, but hates subcultures, cliques, and social scenes. Anyone with specialized interests and a specialized vocabulary reminds her of Dungeons and Dragons dorks. She has been to a few FL gatherings in Portland and over here, and although she finds FL members to be very polite and charming, she HATES discussions about vintage finds, tie clips, etc., which is unfortunately what many of us talk about when we are together (because we have no one else with whom to talk about this infatuation). So she is very reluctant to go online even though I have told her that there is a wealth of info about hair, nail polish, and other things she wishes to learn more about.

alexandra

Practically Family
You should tell your wife that I also hate talking about vintage finds and tie clips (unless it was like a 2 dollar vintage find, in which case it's more about me talking about how awesome I am at finding bargains) and prefer to just talk to people who have like interests about normal things.

I agree that most of the things on here aren't that though.

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
So many individuals are insecure these days...

alexandra said:
My brother saw me posting on here and saw some pictures and he was like "When I first see that I think 'why would someone my age buy these things' but then I realise you do because you're weird."

It sounds like your brother is no more insecure than the rest of the human race[huh] It's a sad side to human nature to raise yourself up and boost one's self esteem at the expense of putting others 'down' and categorising them as lesser beings than yourself[huh] But I am no better [huh]

I was guilty of this last night when I went to the theatre and inwardly said to myself: "All these people going out for a special treat and yet most haven't bothered to change out of their jeans, trainers and tee shirts[huh] "

It's far too easy to transfer one's own fears and self perceived inadequacies onto others to make oneself 'somehow' feel superiour and better, and it's not a good thing but it is a human thing :(

Still, as long as we can all live together irrespective of our differences and how we like to look, then it keeps the world a much more interesting and eccletic and dynamic place :D

BTW...GREAT that your friend may have found an interest in joining up here. FL isn't for everyone, but IT IS for some. And what a great social networking site!!

Dr Doran

alexandra said:
You should tell your wife that I also hate talking about vintage finds and tie clips (unless it was like a 2 dollar vintage find, in which case it's more about me talking about how awesome I am at finding bargains) and prefer to just talk to people who have like interests about normal things.

I agree that most of the things on here aren't that though.

I'll try. Thanks for the suggestion.

alexandra

Practically Family
PADDY said:
It sounds like your brother is no more insecure than the rest of the human race[huh] It's a sad side to human nature to raise yourself up and boost one's self esteem at the expense of putting others 'down' and categorising them as lesser beings than yourself[huh] But I am no better [huh]

I was guilty of this last night when I went to the theatre and inwardly said to myself: "All these people going out for a special treat and yet most haven't bothered to change out of their jeans, trainers and tee shirts[huh] "

It's far too easy to transfer one's own fears and self perceived inadequacies onto others to make oneself 'somehow' feel superiour and better, and it's not a good thing but it is a human thing :(

Still, as long as we can all live together irrespective of our differences and how we like to look, then it keeps the world a much more interesting and eccletic and dynamic place :D

BTW...GREAT that your friend may have found an interest in joining up here. FL isn't for everyone, but IT IS for some. And what a great social networking site!!

Well I think really my brother was just bullying me and uses any means to be able to do it. Of course I do it back.

THAT SAID...I really, really enjoy insulting people and being insulted back in a group of friends. What I look for in friends most often is whether they can both take it and give it. It's something I and the people I know really have a lot of fun with, especially because when you're friends with people you know just the thing to really get them. It's not about putting them down to make myself feel better about myself, or them with me, it's just about messing around. A lot of people don't get it though and think we're being serious or something.

Beowulf67

One of the Regulars
My brother is the same way, but he's always been that way because I'm the "little" brother. It just ticks him off when I don't let it bother me. :D

Jovan

Suspended
PADDY said:
I was guilty of this last night when I went to the theatre and inwardly said to myself: "All these people going out for a special treat and yet most haven't bothered to change out of their jeans, trainers and tee shirts[huh]"
I'd be more inclined to take off the jeans and trainers if the theatres here were more like LizzieMaine's. Until then... they stay on.

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
Doran said:
My old pal Dosher is quite interested in 1930s and 1940s and has a small collection of late 1950s narrow ties. He likes a lot of this stuff. But he's a Goth at heart, and a big misanthrope, so despite my cajoling he won't go on.

My wife is a film noir-head and loves most of the clothes, but hates subcultures, cliques, and social scenes. Anyone with specialized interests and a specialized vocabulary reminds her of Dungeons and Dragons dorks. She has been to a few FL gatherings in Portland and over here, and although she finds FL members to be very polite and charming, she HATES discussions about vintage finds, tie clips, etc., which is unfortunately what many of us talk about when we are together (because we have no one else with whom to talk about this infatuation). So she is very reluctant to go online even though I have told her that there is a wealth of info about hair, nail polish, and other things she wishes to learn more about.

Well, I hardly expect anyone not intereted in certain artifacts to want to sit through a discussion between two or more enthusists. But the interest tends to be in a piece of history, and the culture that surrounded it. Which should be interesting to anyone who thinks about culture or society. But not the minute details.

Thing is, when you are from Europe, peopel tend to be more interesting thinkers. At least the ones Iknow. So many Americans seem to be so shallow in their interests and thinking that I find them quite boring. You have to find those inthe subcultures or special interests to find someone who is at lal interestign to talk to sometimes. or soeone who has led an interesting life I guess. But they tend to gravitate towards the edges too.

Dr Doran

reetpleat said:
Thing is, when you are from Europe, peopel tend to be more interesting thinkers. At least the ones Iknow. So many Americans seem to be so shallow in their interests and thinking that I find them quite boring. You have to find those inthe subcultures or special interests to find someone who is at lal interestign to talk to sometimes. or soeone who has led an interesting life I guess. But they tend to gravitate towards the edges too.

I believe that you are correct, generally speaking, on this one, Matteo.

alexandra

Practically Family
I went to the movies tonight and I saw that Miss Pettigrew movie and someone said "you popped off the screen!"

I wish I did! The hats and clothes were very nice...however they didn't seem very 1939 hah.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vladyslav